U.S. Sanctions On Russia Won’t Be Lifted Until Crimea Is Returned To Ukraine: Rex Tillerson

bradl

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2008
ha.bloody.ha. still, good point...
I know you're thinking I'm being cynical, but let's think about it..

If Putin invaded Scotland, would Trump intervene, even knowing that his property and employees are at risk?

If superimposed on top of another, if one were to map out the countries excluded from the Muslim ban, you'd see that some of the countries excluded were also where Trump has business dealings and/or property. If Putin invaded those for the oil, would Trump intervene, seeing that the same issues would be there?

At some point, should Putin do something to challenge Trump, he would be put into a position where he needs to decide: does his brand take a hit, along with the people working to better his brand, or does he let it go, at the cost of the lives of the (American) employees working to better his brand?

By not throwing everything into a blind trust and renouncing any claims to those for the duration of his Presidency, Trump has the potential for a huge conflict of interest, which could force him out of office for the duration of that conflict, per clause 3 of the 25th Amendment.

BL.

blackfox

macrumors 65816
Feb 18, 2003
PDX

If Putin invaded Scotland, would Trump intervene, even knowing that his property and employees are at risk?

If superimposed on top of another, if one were to map out the countries excluded from the Muslim ban, you'd see that some of the countries excluded were also where Trump has business dealings and/or property. If Putin invaded those for the oil, would Trump intervene, seeing that the same issues would be there?

At some point, should Putin do something to challenge Trump, he would be put into a position where he needs to decide: does his brand take a hit, along with the people working to better his brand, or does he let it go, at the cost of the lives of the (American) employees working to better his brand?

By not throwing everything into a blind trust and renouncing any claims to those for the duration of his Presidency, Trump has the potential for a huge conflict of interest, which could force him out of office for the duration of that conflict, per clause 3 of the 25th Amendment.

BL.
Frankly, I think Trump is an ego-driven veneer on the more plain corporate plan to carve up the globe to maximize shareholders profits . that's cynical.

Reactions: Scepticalscribe

vrDrew

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2010
Midlife, Midwest
Another part of Donald Trump's continuing education.

I am quite certain that he has had no end of people, from senior military officers, to diplomats, to former Presidents, to the leaders of allied countries explain to him - in no uncertain terms - why the premature end to sanctions on Russia would be a disaster for the foreign policy and security of the United States.

Call this (apparent) turnaround another broken Trump campaign promise we can all be thankful for.

Reactions: oneMadRssn

Zenithal

macrumors G3
Sep 10, 2009
Might be Tillerson going against Trump. Some people have a slight dash of hope that Tillerson, in all his infamy, may be like Wheeler. Someone willing to fight what they were for or against in their prior line of duty. I still want his emails on global warming to be leaked, damnit.

Reactions: AlliFlowers

sorcery

macrumors regular
Mar 27, 2016
Ring of Fire
I presume no-one cares about the likely slaughter of the ethnically Russian Crimeans, by the descendants of the Gallician SS thugs, should Ukraine gain control.

AlliFlowers

Contributor
Jan 1, 2011
L.A. (Lower Alabama)
Might be Tillerson going against Trump. Some people have a slight dash of hope that Tillerson, in all his infamy, may be like Wheeler. Someone willing to fight what they were for or against in their prior line of duty. I still want his emails on global warming to be leaked, damnit.
That was my first thought. Have Tillerson and Trump even discussed the matter? There doesn't seem to be much communication amongst this administration.

bradl

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2008
I thought Trump was a Russian agent? I thought Tillerson had special ties to Putin through Exxon?

Amazing how the narrative has disappeared in recent days. What a sham.
You may think that that narrative has disappeared, but it isn't. Hearings are still going on; case in point: a major investigation into Michael Flynn, and details arising that he was warned about accepting payments from Russia... back in 2014.

BL.

Reactions: Scepticalscribe

jerwin

macrumors 68020
Jun 13, 2015
I presume no-one cares about the likely slaughter of the ethnically Russian Crimeans, by the descendants of the Gallician SS thugs, should Ukraine gain control.
Russia has thugs of its own. It just uses them against different people.

poloponies

Suspended
May 3, 2010

BL.
We already got a taste a few days ago when he called Erdogan to congratulate him on getting his referendum through, effectively making himself dictator of Turkey. Trump loves a winner, especially in a country where Trump has business interests. Let's not forget the business will be there for some time after Trump is president.