U.S. Sanctions On Russia Won’t Be Lifted Until Crimea Is Returned To Ukraine: Rex Tillerson

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by shyam09, Apr 26, 2017.

1. shyam09 macrumors 68000

shyam09

2. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

trump raises the level of stupid yet again.

3. noekozz macrumors 6502a

noekozz

hmmm, I wonder how much Putin is hating himself right now, then again the whole point was to not get Hillary elected.

4. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

sure as hell love that part :D

5. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

Well that's good. Now the real question is will the Trump administration bother to do anything if Putin decides to invade somewhere else.

6. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

it better not.

7. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

Depends on if there is a Trump property there.

BL.

8. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

ha.bloody.ha. still, good point...

9. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

I know you're thinking I'm being cynical, but let's think about it..

If Putin invaded Scotland, would Trump intervene, even knowing that his property and employees are at risk?

If superimposed on top of another, if one were to map out the countries excluded from the Muslim ban, you'd see that some of the countries excluded were also where Trump has business dealings and/or property. If Putin invaded those for the oil, would Trump intervene, seeing that the same issues would be there?

At some point, should Putin do something to challenge Trump, he would be put into a position where he needs to decide: does his brand take a hit, along with the people working to better his brand, or does he let it go, at the cost of the lives of the (American) employees working to better his brand?

By not throwing everything into a blind trust and renouncing any claims to those for the duration of his Presidency, Trump has the potential for a huge conflict of interest, which could force him out of office for the duration of that conflict, per clause 3 of the 25th Amendment.

BL.

10. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

Frankly, I think Trump is an ego-driven veneer on the more plain corporate plan to carve up the globe to maximize shareholders profits . that's cynical.

11. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Clearly part of Putins plan after working with Trump to defeat Clinton.

12. vrDrew macrumors 65816

Another part of Donald Trump's continuing education.

I am quite certain that he has had no end of people, from senior military officers, to diplomats, to former Presidents, to the leaders of allied countries explain to him - in no uncertain terms - why the premature end to sanctions on Russia would be a disaster for the foreign policy and security of the United States.

Call this (apparent) turnaround another broken Trump campaign promise we can all be thankful for.

13. Cole Slaw macrumors 6502a

Cole Slaw

So in other words, sanctions will never be lifted.
    I don't see Russia ever giving back Crimea.

14. Zenithal macrumors 601

Might be Tillerson going against Trump. Some people have a slight dash of hope that Tillerson, in all his infamy, may be like Wheeler. Someone willing to fight what they were for or against in their prior line of duty. I still want his emails on global warming to be leaked, damnit.

15. sorcery macrumors regular

sorcery

I presume no-one cares about the likely slaughter of the ethnically Russian Crimeans, by the descendants of the Gallician SS thugs, should Ukraine gain control.

16. Tech198 macrumors G4

lol.. it was his time

17. daflake macrumors 6502a

daflake

It's a capitol hill norm...

18. zin Suspended

I thought Trump was a Russian agent? I thought Tillerson had special ties to Putin through Exxon?

Amazing how the narrative has disappeared in recent days. What a sham.

19. AlliFlowers Contributor

AlliFlowers

That was my first thought. Have Tillerson and Trump even discussed the matter? There doesn't seem to be much communication amongst this administration.

20. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

You may think that that narrative has disappeared, but it isn't. Hearings are still going on; case in point: a major investigation into Michael Flynn, and details arising that he was warned about accepting payments from Russia... back in 2014.

BL.

21. ibookg409 Suspended

ibookg409

Are sanctions ever effective?

22. jerwin macrumors 68000

Russia has thugs of its own. It just uses them against different people.

23. oneMadRssn macrumors 68040

oneMadRssn

Just because Putin has buyer's remorse doesn't mean Russia didn't tamper with our election.

24. zin Suspended

At worst, they provided documents to WikiLeaks on how Hillary's campaign conducted itself. At best, they did nothing.

25. poloponies Suspended

We already got a taste a few days ago when he called Erdogan to congratulate him on getting his referendum through, effectively making himself dictator of Turkey. Trump loves a winner, especially in a country where Trump has business interests. Let's not forget the business will be there for some time after Trump is president.