U.S. Senate approves children's health bill

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Stella, Nov 2, 2007.

1. Stella macrumors 604

Stella

http://www.reuters.com/article/asiaTopNews/idUSIndia-30286520071102

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The U.S. Senate approved legislation on Thursday expanding a popular children's health-care program, setting the stage for a fresh showdown with President George W. Bush, who vowed to veto the bill that would also raise tobacco taxes.
    -
    Bush vetoed an earlier version of the bill that the House last month failed to override.
    -
    The bill would provide $60 billion in funding for the program over five years, compared with the current $25 billion five-year funding level. The tobacco tax increase, raising the tax on cigarettes by 61 cents to $1 per pack, would cover the added cost.
    -

Makes you wonder. $60 Billion is a drop in the Ocean compared to the what the u.s spend in Iraq.

Spending $60 million to keep kids healthy or alternatively... war.

2. Swarmlord macrumors 6502a

Swarmlord

God forbid that the kid's parents keep them healthy. At least war is one of the responsibilities attributed to the Federal government.

How about 60 billion for some vasectomies?

3. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Ah yes, Swarmlordworld- where accidents never happen and everyone is the same. You really do need to start a theme park.

4. Swarmlord macrumors 6502a

Swarmlord

It's getting to the point where a majority of our population is an accident using that reasoning. The only way to reduce "accidents" is to hold people responsible for their accidents. You'd be surprised how the rate of "accidents" goes down.

5. bartelby macrumors Core

Not forgetting illnesses that even healthy people get, like cancer.

6. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

You'd also be surprised at how many people don't seek medical attention when they should. Then 5+ years down the road, their health problems are far worse, when if they'd just been able to afford it earlier it probably wouldn't have been an issue.

7. scotthayes macrumors 68000

scotthayes

Isn't it time you got universal health care over there???

8. Swarmlord macrumors 6502a

Swarmlord

No. We've determined that like it or not it's not a constitutionally mandated responsibility of our government.

Actually it might be interesting if it were enacted though. Once the problem shifts from not being able to pay for medical care to one of no one is entering into the medical care field, I'd love to see government's proposed solution to that.

9. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

NOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!! Th-th-th-th-that's COMMUNISM!!!!!!! :rolleyes:

Yeah- because no other in country in the world has doctors. And if they do- the doctors are poor. Because everyone knows that no one makes any money in communist countries like Britain. :rolleyes:

10. scotthayes macrumors 68000

scotthayes

Take it you mean that people wouldn't enter the health care field as they'd earn less. Well, (and not aimed at you) that is BS. the average GP (family doctor) over here earns £110k per year, and with the fantastic :D £-$ rate at the moment that's around $228k

11. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

You're obvously lying. You live in a communist state. Everyone knows your doctors are poor and live in tiny one-room apartments. And if they don't show up for work, they are flogged. :)

12. scotthayes macrumors 68000

scotthayes

Sorry, can't answer that at the moment, got a sore toe and need to pop to the hospital. Now where's my insurance form??? Oh yeah don't need one.

On a serious note. Our health care system isn't perfect, and I'm lucky that if I had to I could afford to pay for private care. but it's free at the point of service. If I lost my job no worries, if my brother lost his job and his children were ill, no worries. In the UK we have some of the best children's hospitals in the world , and the health of the child always comes first not the profit of some HMO.

Oh and $1 tax on a pack of cigarettes.. YES PLEASE, we pay around £5.60 (guess that is around $11.50) for a pack of 20 and around 75% of that goes to the government.

13. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

What? You don't make money off the misery of others? Well that's just downright un-American! Oh wait...:)

14. Swarmlord macrumors 6502a

Swarmlord

I know that probably sounds like a lot of money to you, but given the amount of training, the years of schooling, the cost of schooling and then more importantly the cost of liability insurance they have to pay, doctors don't start reaping real benefits until the middle to late years of their career. The stress levels and crappy quality of life while they gain seniority sucks.

Like I said, it might seem a lot compared to people that stock shelves at Wal-Mart, but it's low considering their skill level compared to other high paying occupations. You don't even have to be a high level bean counter to make that kind of money in some industries.

15. scotthayes macrumors 68000

scotthayes

Don't know how to break this to you, but it costs huge sums over here to become a doctor. Remember the figures I mentioned were for GPs, however take someone like a cardiologist and that can hit £250k.

oh and if you got rid of the stupid blame culture where people get sued for just about anything then their insurance would also be a lot cheaper

16. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Would you quit trying to make sense? We're 'Mercans, dammit! :)

17. scotthayes macrumors 68000

scotthayes

18. Swarmlord macrumors 6502a

Swarmlord

You're telling this to me? If you've read my posts on this subject in other threads you'd realize that this is one of my very arguments.

19. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Or maybe if we stopped letting drug companies charge whatever they want for drugs, while selling them for almost nothing to other countries...hmm?

20. scotthayes macrumors 68000

scotthayes

I apologies, It's the first time I've found this section of the forum, which is pretty amazing when you consider my love of American politics. But I did get the idea you don't agree with bush vetoing the bill last time from some of your posts in this thread.

One other point, if a doctor screws up over here, in general the government pays the compensation not the doctor.

21. Swarmlord macrumors 6502a

Swarmlord

Or just stop buying the latest and greatest drugs. You can get the stuff they invented a couple decades ago for real cheap. If it was good enough for your parents, it's good enough for you.

22. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Well, here's the thing- I refuse to take prescription drugs unless absolutely necessary. I have bad arthritis in both knees and of course, what did they want to give me? Vioxx. That would have been great. Because it was such a good drug and so obviously well-tested. :rolleyes: Nope, I deal with it through exercise, not pills like the medical field so likes to sell us all on.

Nope- I don't trust the US medical field, because like so many other things here, the goal is to make money, not to prevent or cure disease. After all, if less people were sick, what would they do?

23. Stella thread starter macrumors 604

Stella

Plenty of americans come to Canada just to buy cheaper drugs. They are warned by FDA that the drugs may not be safe ( which is completely bull - scare tactics - Canada tests its drugs and isn't exactly a 2nd or 3rd world country ).

I'm surprised that the high price of drugs isn't a higher profile issue.

24. scotthayes macrumors 68000

scotthayes

or they could just charge a fair price.

UK prescription costs, Link

"People who have to pay for more than 3 prescription items in 3 months, or 14 items in 12 months, could save money by buying a PPC. From 1 April 2007, the charge for a single prescription item is £6.85, whereas a 3-month PPC will cost you £26.85 and a 12-month PPC £98.70. To help spread the cost you can now choose to pay for the 12-month PPC by 10 monthly Direct Debit instalments."

25. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

So you're saying compensation should be commensurate with skill level? I highly doubt you are willing to extend that argument to teachers...