U.S. Shooting in Rio ignored by press!

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by lostngone, Aug 19, 2016.

1. lostngone macrumors demi-god

lostngone

Why do we hear about swimming, gymnastics, track and field, soccer but almost nothing about our olympic shooters? There are many events such as trap, rifle and pistol yet almost zero coverage even though team USA is medaling in multiple events???

It is almost like the U.S. press has some type of anti firearm agenda???

2. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

Because reporting on Olympic shooting events might trigger some sniveling Millennials.

3. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Because unless Aly Reisman shoots a gun who cares. It's the same reason they don't report on ping pong.

4. Shirasaki macrumors 603

Shirasaki

Is this some sort of biased reports? Filter?
    Should USA be the best free country in the world?

5. sim667 macrumors 65816

Probably because the US hasn't done very well considering its a country with more guns than people.

6. vrDrew macrumors 65816

Its one of those sports that simply don't make for particularly compelling television coverage.

7. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

Shooting is probably the most boring sport to watch on TV ever.

I'm sure you could get the live stream on ESPN 8 "The Ocho" though.

8. The-Real-Deal82 macrumors 601

The-Real-Deal82

9. thermodynamic Suspended

thermodynamic

Freedom of speech, or maybe the media companies would see a drop in ratings and no ratings = no profit. That might be the agenda you're referring to, with greater detail and context.

10. lostngone thread starter macrumors demi-god

lostngone

Yes but people are making sure we are NOT competitive. When I went to school(yes, public school) "Riflery" was a school sponsored event, we had a firing range IN the school however more and more I see schools dropping the sport.

11. smallcoffee macrumors 6502a

Yeah but that doesn't mean there is some conspiracy to not cover shooting. It's just not as interesting to most people. They would rather watch track and field.

12. AsherN macrumors 6502

Because shooting is boring as hell. You don't see a whole lot of the archery competition either.

How is shooting even a sport? There was some news early on about the women 10m air rifle. Seriously? a BB gun hitting a tarhet 30 feet away? Tha's a sport?

13. lostngone thread starter macrumors demi-god

lostngone

Yes, it is a sport. A very relaxing one.

14. vrDrew macrumors 65816

But that probably also explains why we don't get all excited for the premiere of Monday Night Fly Fishing.

15. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Probably because the majority of sports at the Olympics are ignored this year by NBC's god awful coverage. If it's not one of the sports with a "star" to idolize (much like professional wrestling) it's not getting coverage, be it the gun competitions or otherwise.

Basically, as far as coverage and airing goes, this has been the worst Olympics I've watched hands down. ABC was no angel, but their coverage was far and away more diverse.

16. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

There 306 separate competitions covering 42 sports.

Assuming each competition takes around two hours (some races are very fast, but consider golf and soccer) that's 612 hours of video.

Even spread over 19 days, the total number of video that can be shown by one network tops out at 456 hours, and that's without commercial breaks and other programming. In reality, there's probably around 300 hours that NBC can slot Olympic sports.

So, thus, something is going to get cut. And, I'm assuming that shooting sports just don't have the metrics to justify showing them over gymnastics and swimming, which are highly dynamic and thus have high ratings.

17. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

it should, but it's not.

18. Mousse macrumors 68000

Mousse

That's an Olympic event? Hail, I'm gonna try out for the US team in 4 years. I can knock beer cans off a fence from 15m with an BB gun. Daddy's bringing home the gold, baby.:D:D:D

19. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

Just like NASCAR is a sport. And just like outside of limited circles no one cares about NASCAR 90% of potential viewers don't want to watch shooting competitions.

20. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Having friends that actually race in various types of cars, the circle track racing is immensely physically demanding....far and away more than shooting (or golf for that matter).

I understand why NASCAR is considered a sport (biased by a family who had the race on every Sunday growing up), my friend is always drenched in sweat at the end of a race because you're fighting the car the entire time. Shooting...well it really seems to be more of an act of skill than being physical in anyway.

21. The-Real-Deal82 macrumors 601

The-Real-Deal82

That's very true and having raced karts for years I can testify to that. There's a reason F1 drivers are as fit as they are too!

22. Mousse macrumors 68000

Mousse

There is a huge difference of enjoyment in performing a sport and watching it. I find watching a car race boring as hail.:rolleyes: But driving in a race, that's pure bliss, bro.:):) I find watching someone shoot, even world class shooters, a huge snorefest. But I can (and have) spend hours plinking.:cool:

23. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Oh don't get me wrong, I find Nascar to be incredibly boring outside the last 5 laps and the crashes.

Personally, I feel the same way about every sport. I can't watch them at all (other than mindlessly laughing at some curling once every four years) but I love actually playing them. Ironically, I work at ESPN....couldn't name you any of their shows lol

24. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

They need to add some 3 gun in the Olympics and then maybe I'd watch.

25. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

agreed