U.S. signs U.N. gay rights document

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by leekohler, Mar 27, 2009.

1. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Bush really is gone! :) Maybe we can finally join the rest of the world in progress. Good job, Obama.

http://www.reuters.com/article/domesticNews/idUSTRE52H5CK20090318

2. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

Completely great news, and about effing time!

3. Queso macrumors G4

Excellent stuff. With any luck it'll start Fred Phelps off too. That's always good for entertainment :D

4. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

Astonishing how the self-proclaimed "leader of the free world" can do things like that.

But I guess better late than never.

Indeed, Bush really is gone.

5. maestro55 macrumors 68030

maestro55

This is really excellent news. Obama has made a step in the right direction, this almost lets me forgive him for not taking a strong enough stance on Gay Marriage.

I live in a state where anal sex was again the law until 2003. Sad really.

6. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

Yeah- I saw this today and it made me pretty damn happy. This is a very good first step for Obama on our issues.

7. Shivetya macrumors 65816

You do realize that Obama only had it signed after getting assurances it put us under no binding obligation.

In other words, all he is doing is trying to gain brownie points for doing something that sounds all nice and well but is otherwise totally meaningless.

Do nothing but seek glory... sums it up nicely. FWIW it was only an issue on DECEMBER 18th 2008 .... after Bush was already on his way out and after bush was working closely with the Obama transition team. Bush effectively stopped obligating the US to new rules after Obama won to prevent creating an air of hostility.

8. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

You left out one thing- Bush refused to sign this before. At least we have a President with a brain now.

I don't give a f*** if it's symbolic or not. It says a hell of a lot that he supported this. It a s***load better than flat-out refusing like Bush did. BTW- it was never binding when Bush refused to sign it.

9. No1451 macrumors 6502

What exactly does this document mean to the gay community(what does it ensure/do)? I'm still a little sketchy on the whole thing.

10. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

It basically calls for the decriminalization of homosexuality worldwide and adds us to the list of nations who discourage human rights violations against gays. Bush refused to sign it twice, IIRC. That's basically it.

11. No1451 macrumors 6502

Decriminalization...?

How can something like that be criminal so long as both parties consent? The fact that such a thing even needs to exist bothers me.

12. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

If you have time, go read the whole article. Scary stuff going on in the world.

13. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Doesn't New Zealand count as western too? they signed.

The Asian tigers, Malaysia, China and Chile also are pretty developed these days. However in Malaysia homosexuality is still illegal.

This is progress though.

14. Queso macrumors G4

Here's how things stand worldwide. Let's just say I tend to avoid Africa and the Middle East as destinations.

15. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

You'd be surprised. It was just a few years ago that Texas (among other states, if I remember correctly) ruled that consentual anal sex between adults (regardless of their sexes) was not against the law. I had no idea it ever was against the law.

16. FadeToBlack macrumors 68000

FadeToBlack

This is a step in the right direction, but man, after reading that Wikipedia article, there's still a long ways to go. I just CAN'T BELIEVE some of the policies in other countries and it blows my mind that anal sex was still illegal in some states in 2003! I mean c'mon, people, it was 2003!!! C'mon, damn! :eek:

17. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

In many countries it is still only 1431.

18. FadeToBlack macrumors 68000

FadeToBlack

Definitely. Unfortunately, it seems to be that way in this country in certain places. I live in a very rural area and while it'll always be home to me, there are A LOT of closed-minded people here.

19. Delta608 macrumors regular

Delta608

The one with the brain that says "Dont ask to dont tell" will be around for awhile..?? :rolleyes:

20. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Nice step. With the other recent discussion of how the outdated psychiatric concept of ego-dystonic homosexuality is still being used for these "reparative therapies" for homosexuality in the UK, it's sobering to remember that, like some other social issues, a huge spectrum exists in the world, with some regressive views held even by progressive countries, and lots of need for continued progress....

21. PcBgone macrumors 6502

PcBgone

Wow, and what only 60 something days for the ONE to be in office? This country is going downhill fast!

22. Queso macrumors G4

Your country is already at the bottom of the hill thanks to BushCo. Obama can currently only window dress whilst carrying out economic damage control, hence the early social policy changes to show progress. It's cheap, but shows a new direction.

23. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

Give it time. I don't expect the guy to do everything in his first year. It's going to take a lot to undo what the Bush and Clinton administrations did to us. That was what? 16 years? So go ahead and roll your eyes. This guy has done more in his first few months than Bush ever did.

I hear Iran is nice this time of year. Why don't you book yourself a flight? They dislike freedom and gays as much as you do.

24. PcBgone macrumors 6502

PcBgone

I hear Canada is nice this time of year, and they openly accept homosexuals. So why not book yourself a flight to a country who would welcome you with open arms and might even give you a little tongue?

25. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

Just was in Canada last month. Nice place. But ya know- some of us who live in more intelligent places in this country also find we are welcome with open arms. More places by the minute too- Vermont, Massachussetts, New Hampshire, just to name a few. Even here in Illinois we're drafting some pretty good legislation as we speak. Get used to it. We're going to win.