U.S. speeds up arms buildup with Gulf allies and heading for Iran...soon?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by rasmasyean, Jan 30, 2010.

1. rasmasyean macrumors 6502a

U.S. speeds up arms buildup with Gulf allies
    Initiatives with Arab nations, military aimed at thwarting Iran attacks

DUBAI, UNITED ARAB EMIRATES - The Obama administration is quietly working with Saudi Arabia and other Persian Gulf allies to speed up arms sales and rapidly upgrade defenses for oil terminals and other key infrastructure in a bid to thwart future military attacks by Iran, according to former and current U.S. and Middle Eastern government officials...(more)

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/35161735/ns/world_news-washington_post/

Defense...or Offense? Hmmm?

Discuss... :)

2. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

If we end up in Iran I am going to be pissed, lets get the hell out of the ME.

3. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

That damn well better not happen. Leave Iran the hell alone and let's get the hell out of the middle east altogether.

4. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

I think Obama is being prudent in light of what he said last November:

link

Negotiations are not worth much unless there is something to back it up.

5. 184550 Guest

The US views oil as an essential part of US national security. Rest assured we will never 'get the hell out of the Middle East' as most of you suggest.

6. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

We will be energy independant by 2025.

7. 184550 Guest

Right....

Regardless of that, that's why I said 'views'. You can think you need something and not actually need it.

8. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Yes. The carrot is more effective when used with the stick at the same time.

9. firestarter macrumors 603

firestarter

Hey, let's put Saddam back in place to reestablish the Middle-east power balance and give Iran something to keep them occupied.

Oh, wait....

10. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

The middle-east conflict seems to based on Israel. It has been clearly demonstrated that the Jews cannot govern there without causing strife and anger throughout the region. The solution is clearly to bring in the Chinese to replace the Israeli government with independent, secular, quasi-authoritarian management. Israel and Palestine would be united into a single entity in which Jews and Palestinian arabs would have to live side by side, wholly disarmed. The borders would form a weapons cordon, and the international community would be required to support the Chinese autocracy in defending Sino-Israestine against outside aggression as long as tourism and pilgrimage are not restricted. All the residents would be pissed off at the government, but at least they would be united in that and not constantly trying to kill each other.

11. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

How is the acting these days, Mr. Gibson?

12. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Its funny how little tiny almost cant see it on a map Israel is the reason of all islamic worlds problems. Im convinced that if there was no Israel they would go back to beating woman for everything wrong in their world.

13. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

What's wrong with his argument. Israel is a large part of the problem in the middle-east.

14. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

All was peace and light before the founding of Israel? I think not. Furthermore, I do not believe its the religions of the regions that are causing these problems but particular practitioners thereof.

15. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

Not in your wildest dreams.

16. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Undoubtably the Chinese will get involved in the middle east at some point in some way. And unlike Europe and the US they most certainly won't be bias towards Israel.

17. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Under the Ottoman empire it probably was fairly peaceful.

18. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

China is already involved in the middle east. But the idea that they would, or even want to, become involved in taking over the israel/palestine quagmire is ludicrous.

19. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Whether they will get involved as directly as Sydde is implying, they will have to get involved to some degree at some point.

20. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

Never mind the jews and the chinese :rolleyes:

Conflict and confrontation between arabs and persians is a long standing part of history in the Gulf region. That the Gulf states are interested in improving their defenses should come as no surprise. it's something they've been working on for quite a while

21. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

And the tyranny of Marshal Tito kept the Balkans in line, doesn't mean Croatian Catholics and Bosnian Muslims can't rule themselves and live side-by-side in peace. Israelis have had good and bad leaders (they currently have a poor one IMO) but to say that "Jews cannot govern there without causing strife and anger throughout the region" seems to be a rather racist statement. Strife and anger have been part of that regions history for thousands of years.

22. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

If that is what I implied I am sorry as it does sound racist :eek:. What I wanted to say was that the Israeli government causes (or is at least directly involved in) a lot of problems in the middle east.

The Israel-Palestine conflict is one of the worlds biggest problems and it needs to be solved peacefully, I doubt it will be solved by forcing either the Israelis or Palestinians to leave the middle east.

23. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

That I have no problem with and quite agree on in many cases, particularly at the moment. The overt and covert benevolence of the US towards Israeli governments in the past has also hurt the US reputation in the region although they have also helped the various Palestinian governments from time-to-time to a much lesser degree. A more balanced approach would probably do loads for the US.

Note that my comment was originally directed at Sydde.

24. abijnk macrumors 68040

abijnk

No need to re-type the whole thing, right? :)

25. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

As I have said before, the only long-term solution for the Israel-Palestine problem is for there to be a unitary state comprising both Israeli and Palestinian areas, just as the only long-term solution to the Irish conflict is for Ireland to be reunited. These military occupations cannot last.