UAE advisor w/ ties to Trump aides cooperating w/ Mueller

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by LizKat, Mar 6, 2018.

1. LizKat macrumors 601

LizKat

Another shoe drops. There was an earlier story (linked within the cited piece) in the Times recently about this guy George Nader, but it wasn't clear at the time whether he was cooperating. Looks like Mueller's homing in on whether US campaign finance laws have been broken among this group of people and their advisors - Americans, Russians, Emiratis.

From the NYT:

WASHINGTON — An adviser to the United Arab Emirates with ties to current and former aides to President Trump is cooperating with the special counsel, Robert S. Mueller III, and gave testimony last week to a grand jury, according to two people familiar with the matter.

Mr. Mueller appears to be examining the influence of foreign money on Mr. Trump’s political activities and has asked witnesses about the possibility that the adviser, George Nader, funneled money from the Emirates to the president’s political efforts. It is illegal for foreign entities to contribute to campaigns or for Americans to knowingly accept foreign money for political races.

Mr. Nader, a Lebanese-American businessman who advises Crown Prince Mohammed bin Zayed Al-Nahyan, the effective ruler of the Emirates, also attended a January 2017 meeting in the Seychelles that Mr. Mueller’s investigators have examined. The meeting, convened by the crown prince, brought together a Russian investor close to President Vladimir V. Putin of Russia with Erik Prince, the founder of Blackwater and an informal adviser to Mr. Trump’s team during the presidential transition, according to three people familiar with the meeting.

Mr. Nader’s cooperation in the special counsel’s investigation could prompt new legal risks for the Trump administration, and Mr. Nader’s presence at the Seychelles meeting appears to connect him to the primary focus of Mr. Mueller’s investigation: examining Russian interference during the 2016 presidential campaign.​

2. Zenithal macrumors 604

3. LizKat thread starter macrumors 601

LizKat

Yeah a lot of them being plated out lately. Kitchen's on a roll.

4. T'hain Esh Kelch macrumors 601

T'hain Esh Kelch

Rolling sushi, but with NothingBurgers.
    NothingBurgerBuffet.
    All you can eat NothingBurger.
    The healthy kind, like those eaten by Trump.

5. LizKat thread starter macrumors 601

LizKat

I hope Mueller's not eating fast food the way Trump does... he's no spring chicken himself, and this assignment's not looking like a fast consult.

Meanwhile there's always the chance the Chief Fast Food Fanatic will manage to offend the GOP enough to make them take off their blinders and seek to write him up on their own, for "high crimes and misdemeanors"... and it looks like Trump's stance on tariffs might even be the last straw. Not sure how they'll segue from trade to treason or whatever, but they're fond enough of free trade that they might make an effort to lasso this guy after all.

from the wrap

The conventional analysis is that Republican lawmakers bend to Trump because he has the support of the party’s base. But that calculus does not apply here. The base is with Trump — a Pew Research Center poll last year found only 36 percent of Republicans have a positive view of trade agreements — but lawmakers are defying him anyway.

This, then, shows the extent to which the congressional GOP, despite Trump’s populist talk, has been a wholly owned subsidiary of corporate America under Trump. Republicans are with Trump most of the time (that is, when he is cutting regulations and taxes on corporations and the wealthy) but against him on the rare occasions he is opposed by industry, or at least all industry that doesn’t make steel and aluminum.

These lawmakers know where their bread is buttered, and they must keep corporate contributors happy. Perhaps they also recognize that the economy is in a precarious state. Trump himself called it a bubble, and that bubble has been pumped up further with debt-financed tax cuts and spending stimulus. A trade war, or even a trade skirmish, could be most deflating.

This is why Republican lawmakers look the other way when presented with Trump’s alleged sexual misconduct, racial provocations, conflicts of interest, cowboy diplomacy and assaults on the rule of law. But slapping a tariff on foreign metals? That crosses the line.

6. 0007776 Suspended

They’ll probably just start to allow committees to question Trump under oath, let him perjure himself and take him down for Perjury.

7. AlliFlowers Contributor

AlliFlowers

Not good enough. Everyone knows he can't tell the truth. He needs to go down for racketeering, violating campaign finance rules, money laundering, etc., etc., etc.

8. 0007776 Suspended

It may not be good enough for you, but it’s going to be all the Republicans will be willing to take. I would see it as similar to ask Capone going down for tax evasion even though that was the least of his crimes.

9. AlliFlowers Contributor

AlliFlowers

Except that the penalties for perjury are so...minor.

10. 0007776 Suspended

Pence will pardon Trump. The most that will happen to him is him be removed from office either by impeachment and conviction or resignation before Congress gets to impeachment.

11. LizKat thread starter macrumors 601

LizKat

I'd think so too... but I'm not thinking from the GOP's point of view.

They probably would settle for Trump the tariff freak just being gone and Pence the free trader being installed so the rest of the agenda (especially the rules and regs rollbacks) can be applied abroad as planned.

Take a quick glance back at the summer of 2016 when the US Chamber of Commerce was raving about the track record of Mr. FreeTrade Pence:

https://www.uschamber.com/series/above-the-fold/mike-pence-has-great-track-record-trade

See this is roughly where a couple fragments of Trump's base part company with each other. The America-first guys are loud but free traders make more campaign donations.

If Trump were actually as good a negotiator as he has claimed he is, he wouldn't be into trying to punish other countries for getting the best deal they can manage. If he weren't such a loner, he could round up other countries who also think China has skated too long on lame excuses for dumping certain items abroad, and they could present a joint case to the WTO and probably win it. As for NAFTA... is there an industry group in the USA that Trump has not ticked off yet when he talks about ditching it or making it punitive for our partners across the borders or making it impossible for labor we need to be figured on in advance?

First of all Trump bailed on even trying to help fix up the TPP rather than just walk away, so the alliances we have aren't quite as tight as they used to be in that arena. We're on our way to being outsiders even though (so far) we still have factories in TPP member countries.
    Second, Trump really is just a loner by nature, so his idea of making a deal is "take it or leave it, my lawyers can explain the terms".

That's not how we ended up offshoring manufacture of stuff to China, and that's not how China has ended up with supply chain swaps with us regarding stuff like pork production and poultry processing.

Mike Pence knows all that and I expect he'll be able to explain it convincingly to America-firsters if the GOP can dislodge Trump from his chair in the Oval Office.

The only question in my mind is whether some in the GOP would prefer Romney go for it again, and if they are strong enough to dissuade the rest of the Republicans from trying to seat Pence before 2020. I doubt it. Pence is sort of a bird in the hand, and Romney's a big question mark versus a generic and presumably younger Democrat in 2020.

12. blackfox Suspended

blackfox

Trump has a documented history of escaping problems by obfuscating the issue and throwing people under the bus. If I was the GOP leadership, I'd be very worried

13. DearthnVader macrumors 6502a

DearthnVader

Liberals still fantasizing over Trump, how cute.

Trump may die in office, but he won't be removed.

Full stop.

14. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

That’s bold.

15. DearthnVader macrumors 6502a

DearthnVader

Hey, I least I'm not afraid to say it.

Liberals seem to be afraid to level the charge a a specific crime, they just want to investage and see what crimes they maybe able to find.

Classic witch hunt.

I'm on the record, whatever is found, won't be enough to remove Trump from the office. Not because I have so much confidence that Trump didn't do anything wrong, but because I know how these things work.

If you investigate anyone, long enough, you're ging to find something, and I mean me, you, anyone. The difference between me, you, and anyone and the POTUS is the power of the pardon. Any crimes Trump may have had knowledge of, he would have isolated the people that knew that he knew.

These people are trusted, they are willing to go to jail, for a short time, to protect the man and the office. At the end of Trump's term, whoever he pardons, that gets cought up in this Muller investigation, likely they knew something that could sink him.

That, however, doesn't necessarily have anything to do with Russia, or any investigation into Russian election meddling. It could be anything under the sun, high crimes or misdemeanors.

Isn't that what we really saw play out in Ken Starr's investigation into "White Water"?

Clinton got tripped up because he lied, about something completely unrelated to the investigation, but even a Republican congress didn't want to remove him from office, not because they didn't want him gone, but because of the damage to the office.

Didn't Clinton pardon some key people that got caught up in that investigation?

While Bush II didn't pardon Scooter Libby, he did commute his sentence.

Call me old and cynical, but I've just seen these thing play out too many times.

16. CaptMurdock Suspended

CaptMurdock

I think you're thinking of Papa Bush and the Iran-Contra Stooges.

17. Huntn macrumors P6

Huntn

Don’t forget his who needs the NRA, not me comment. Sure that could be for show, but it could also be one more heresy that could implode his base, unless they are convinced it’s a tactical deception move.

18. 0007776 Suspended

And if they are pardoned then they no longer can use the fifth amendment to avoid testifying. Investigations take time so I wouldn’t be terribly surprised if Trump gets voted out before it comes to formal charges against him. But assuming he doesn’t die of natural causes within the next year or two Trump will likely either end his days in a prison cell or get a pardon from President Pence.

19. DearthnVader macrumors 6502a

DearthnVader

Ok, I can respect that opinion, you put it out there the same way I did.

Time will tell who is right and who is wrong, I'm big enough to own it when I make predictions that don't hold true, and I won't even need to blame the Russians.

20. LizKat thread starter macrumors 601

LizKat

Yah... his base will let that slide unless that and a few more of the old Donald Trump opinions emerge too heavily over time. But his core supporters seem attached to him now beyond any policy issue and even expect him to say stuff that goes against their grain now and then. They chalk it up to political necessity and think it's BS and that he thinks it's BS too.

In truth Trump is not an ideological conservative, leaving aside the question of whether he has any core principles at all. He's Donald Trump and his politics have always been all over the map. Sometimes he loses the script he's supposed to be following as a Republican. I imagine West Wing aides scurrying along a corridor to tell General Kelly they have to see him for just a moment to remind him not to sound like something to the left of a blue dog Democrat.

I'm not sure how Trump's base will react if it turns out that the meeting in the Seychelles implicates his campaign in having crossed election laws of the USA with respect to getting material aid from a foreign source.

Would "so what?" still be the base response if campaign finance laws were broken? Probably. It's so weird to me that nominal Republicans spend so much energy not homing in on these questions, and so much energy trying to derail the investigation officially assigned to find answers.

21. Huntn macrumors P6

Huntn

Well it’s a real on the ball group. We’ll probably get as a counter, yeah, well Obama is a Muslim and they did’nt do anything about it... :oops:

22. Solomani macrumors 68040

Solomani

23. LizKat thread starter macrumors 601

LizKat

Putin loves to stir the pot as much as Trump does. Gotta love it that his response to queries about "Russian meddling" amounted to more of the same. :rolleyes: China must love it: right under our noses they channel Mao-revisited out of Xi's "reforms" while we gawk at Vlad playing with the USA and Trump pretending he's only President of half of Pennsylvania...