Uber C.E.O. to Leave Trump Advisory Council After Criticism From Employees

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by shyam09, Feb 2, 2017.

1. shyam09 macrumors 68000

shyam09

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct...v55sl2jZdArUu-i4g&sig2=uZnQsBuaraLYVfassRjBJw

In case the subscription pop-up still appears:

I'm not sure what people expect a corporate figure sitting on the economic advisory council of the president to really do. Kalanick doesn't wield the power to force Trump to not pass the immigration EO nor is it likely that Trump is going to listen to him, hell I doubt they were even asked for input. It seems like Kalanick was forced into this position because his presence on the council acted as if he supported anything and everything Trump does, even if he wasn't directly involved.

That all being said, Uber still sucks at treating their drivers like employees and Lyft FTW!

2. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

Finally. About time.

That being said, tech companies are in a tough spot these days though. They want to suck up to the new administration to make sure they get favorable policies, but their employees and customers will rake them over the coals if they do. Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

3. unlinked macrumors 6502a

Kinda ironic that Uber are getting raked over the coals for suspending surge pricing. Probably the only decent thing they ever did.

4. flyinmac macrumors 68030

flyinmac

I agree with the concept of having a seat at the table if you want to implement change, or have the opportunity to persuade someone to do something different.

Giving up an advising seat because your people don't like the person making the rules is crazy.

The best chance for your people to get their voice heard, is if you have a seat that gives you the opportunity to speak for them.

Essentially, all these people just bullied their representative into taking their voice away from them. A very self-defeating action.

There's this old saying about keeping your friends close, and your enemies closer.

If you don't like what's happening, get as close to the man in charge as possible. Sit at the table with him. Talk with him. Establish a rapport with him. And work on adjusting his perspective.

But, if you don't want to be productive, go ahead and give up your chance to speak personally with him, and rely on crying from the sidelines and march around with signs.

5. juanm macrumors 65816

juanm

Elon Musk's opinion on the question.
    [​IMG]
    As much as I dislike Trump, I think his is the most mature position. If all the progressive thinkers throw a tantrum and willingly waive political voice, the only ones left will be the Bannons of the corporate world.

6. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

Yep and in a way i don't understand why this contingent of employees, many of them immigrants, don't get that. Some of them hail from parts of the world where it's widely understood as the best, maybe only safe, way to behave.

On the other hand, it's hard to say how to handle this stuff with a guy like Trump. I mean he has deeply insulted all manner of groups since his campaign, and caused terrible anxiety amongst immigrants since his inauguration never mind the botched EO rollout.

Musk's letter sounds all rational and pragmatic and ordinarily I'd say he's got the right idea. Stay, hope to effect change from within a situation or system. But Trump is the kind of guy who's already demonstrated willingness to lash out at --hell, to punish-- people who are trying to negotiate with him about anything. The downside seems almost as weighty as any upside of staying and meanwhile continually having to manage PR with your own employees every time Trump opens his mouth and maybe takes some new turn for the worse from the viewpoint of those employees.

We live in an era of binary thinking and a desire for instant gratification. It's hard to talk people into being patient with situations that offer only ambiguity for any length of time.

7. citizenzen macrumors 65816

It's a difficult situation. You don't want your employees to feel like you're conspiring with the "enemy," yet as others have mentioned, it's a way to exert some influence and attempt to steer trump in the right direction.

Ultimately, it's up to the CEO to decide what's best for their situation, and I wouldn't condemn either choice.

8. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

Me either. Would be interesting to figure how the board of directors looks at things. He can't have just had the employees in mind while deciding. Or not without also consulting the board, I'd think. Unless he has a really nice parachute.

9. Snoopy4 macrumors 6502a

Snoopy4

Hitchhiking with a fee is all these companies are. I wouldn't step in one of those cars to save my life. All they do is run around and push for zero regulation, even simple background checks for their drivers.

10. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

A pretty good description...never thought of it that way. That being said speaking from experience, when you are without a car, cannot drive, have no close by friends that can help you, have health issues that prevent you from walking extended amounts, and live in a neighborhood not served by public transportation these services fill in a critical gap.

11. Snoopy4 macrumors 6502a

Snoopy4

Indeed, and it pisses me off the drivers don't need background checks. You literally don't know who you are getting in a car with. All they do is a simple DMV check and fight with every government egency in the country over more stringent checks.

12. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

It could be really scary. But then it could be scary to live in the boonies and during the day when your neighbors are away discover your car won't start and an appointment you waited weeks or months for at the dentist or doctor is now either a cancellation or a $90 regular cab fare if you can even get one in time. I still think resistance to background checks is alarming. Statistically, though... things will work out fine. But no one wants to become that outlier anecdote.

Maybe the idea is less scary for people who hitchhike when they have to. I even hitchhiked to my sister's mother-in-law's wake one winter night when my car crapped out on the way into town. That was around 20 years ago. The woman who picked me up said she hesitated but then figured why would someone planning on robbing anyone put on a dress and heels and go out in a blizzard for the purpose? I refrained from making any wisecrack answers to that one. I felt lucky. Or, I felt I had paid it forward by picking up people on the town road for decades when I was going in to do my marketing. I rarely even see hitchhikers any more though. We're a nation of people afraid of each other for not very good reasons sometimes. But then I'm from another era, growing up when hitching a ride was how you got somewhere if it was a far walk. Anyway I couldn't live with myself even now if I went by someone in a blizzard who was trying to get a ride. I always pick up anyone hitching in the rain. Been there, been beat down, remember the joy when someone finally pulled over. It's a mutual trusting adventure. It's not for everyone and you have to trust your gut. I'd never counsel a kid to hitchhike today, so I can't say I haven''t been affected by our national paranoia.

13. HEK macrumors 68030

HEK

Only safe way to drive with uber to to carry your pistol.

14. Snoopy4 macrumors 6502a

Snoopy4

15. HEK macrumors 68030

HEK

Holy ****........my uber driver pulls any of this crapola and he will find at least three rounds triple tapped in his chest. I fear for my life rather easily if you know what i mean.

16. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

You'd kinda think with their growing track record they'd see the benefit to backgrounc checking...

17. HEK macrumors 68030

HEK

Nah....they going for the whole elimination of driver thing. Foreign Uber driver is bad enough, I won't be getting into any vehicle that pulls up minus a human at the wheel. Driven by foreign made silicone chip. Sorry, i've never had a computer, phone, tablet, that hasn't froze up at some time or other. Don't need that in a moving vehicle travelling at 70 MPH. Beside with a driver I have a target. What do I shoot at if autonomous vehicle goes berserk?

18. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

Yah, what would the Uber car do when a raft of bison swarmed into the road at 7:30am I wonder. We've had that happen a couple times in a decade. It's pretty interesting even with human drivers. One bison is like one deer, big maybe, but 9 or 10 of them make the situation seem surreal.

You just stop and they sort of gently bump around trying to go where their noses point. Then you move a car a little, to maybe go around one of the critters, but it moves too like oh is that the way out? They seem a bit like those bumper-cars in the carnival rides.

When they finally thread their way out, there's this little pause like no one is sure what just happened. Meanwhile more traffic has been coming, and new arrivals' drivers are completely perplexed by the other cars sitting on the road as if in a parking lot but at all these strange angles and with no regard to lane markings.

No accidents, just this growing collection of vehicles stopping and waiting for something that's already history. How would automated cars deal? If it's an automated taxi and you're in the back seat I guess you're on your own. What, a little steering wheel pops out of the seatback in front of you? LOL yeah I'd carry a gun and go with a live Uber driver only.

19. HEK macrumors 68030

HEK

Very novel, interesting and thought provoking experience. Set up some amazing images in my mind's eye. Thanks for sharing.

20. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

That dashboard of course! Or just reach under and start pulling wires! Couldn't get any worse, right? :D