Uber driver refuses ride to blind man, service dog

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by jkcerda, Jul 7, 2016.

1. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/uber-driver-refuses-ride-blind-man-service-dog/
    Glad I quit Uber a long time ago, I have no idea what the law is here since we are considered independent contractors and not employees. it's MY car, not your I can deny the ride as I see fit IIRC.

2. kch50428 macrumors 6502

kch50428

Similar excuse got Hillary off for mishandling top secret emails...

3. APlotdevice macrumors 68040

APlotdevice

Can we please not turn this into Hilary Email Scandal thread #5346245375589436?

4. DearthnVader macrumors regular

DearthnVader

You're a real peach, so you'd just leave a blind man and his dog sitting, waiting for another ride, hoping that driver would take a service dog?

This is the reason we have laws to protect people from discrimination.

5. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502

jkcerda

I love dogs, but like I said I have no clue what the law is there, put a dog in your car while driving Uber and the rest of your night is over. even if you charge the pax for clean up.

6. kch50428 macrumors 6502

kch50428

Not intending to break a law is now a valid defense thanks to Queenie.

7. DearthnVader macrumors regular

DearthnVader

You gave up your right to decide if a service dog rides in your car when you engaged in an act of commerce( rides for fare ).

8. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

You may want to read up on the Americans With Disabilities Act of 1990. As Uber is a US company and bound to it, its contractors are also bound to that law and must provide accommodation for the disabled, including the Blind and anyone with their service animals. When you are on the job, you are the representative of that company, regardless of being contracted or employed, and as such, are bound to the rules applied to that company.

Looks like federal law would trump your 'It's MY car':

http://bigstory.ap.org/article/aaea...ind-riders-reach-settlement-over-service-dogs
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/loca...91156e-28f8-11e6-ae4a-3cdd5fe74204_story.html
    http://www.cnet.com/news/uber-blind-passengers-settle-service-animal-lawsuit/

Oh.. and Uber has this for their rules:

https://newsroom.uber.com/serving-our-users/

With the stance you've taken above, it sounds like it's a good thing that you aren't working with Uber anymore, seeing how the same stance your fellow drivers have taken caused them to get slapped with a lawsuit that left them $225,000 poorer.

Agreed.

BL.

9. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502

jkcerda

can you source that as LAW for Uber/Lyft drivers?
    Edit, BradL beat you to it.

10. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

I just did.

BL.

11. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Relax, bro. It's not like a pax asked you to transport a gay wedding cake. :rolleyes:

12. kch50428 macrumors 6502

kch50428

You're providing a public service and obligated to comply with the Americans With Disabilities Act, and accommodating service animals is included in the ADA... so - if you deny accommodation, you're open to legal action.

13. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502

jkcerda

thanks for the links.
    --- Post Merged, Jul 7, 2016 ---
    not a single issue with gays, so please spare me.:rolleyes:

14. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Same issue, bro. People's rights violated. As one of the staunchest defenders of the right to bear arms, one would assume you'd know that and hold the same position.

15. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

My apologies for sounding so stern. This is one of the things that I am vehemently supportive of, just like your stance on 2A rights. Having not only seen and witnessed such gross violations of this with my wife, I felt rather powerless to do anything about it because it was up to the company to handle it (in our case, an airline, which they handled it brilliantly; the offended person filed suit against them for the poor treatment, while the airline shoved the ADA and the Air Carrier Access Act in their face in response).

It's a shame that we have to go through this for some people who actually need protections like this.

BL.

16. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502

jkcerda

no offense taken.

17. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

So what do you do when you pull up in your Fiat 500 and the person who needs a ride is pushing up north of 400lbs?

18. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

I don't think Uber allows drivers with such small cars. If they did, you send for another car that can accommodate the person. This is not an ADA issue though.

19. steve knight Suspended

steve knight

well that did not go sideways or anything. first reply is so off topic it is from another universe.
    --- Post Merged, Jul 7, 2016 ---
    give it a rest.

20. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

21. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

Obesity is absolutely a disability under ADA.

22. kch50428 macrumors 6502

kch50428

It's the new reality... thank your media that's in the tank for her heinous, and her heinous.

23. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

24. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

To be exact, it wasn't covered until 2010. But as for Uber, it would need to be documented and the driver would need to ask if the rider has a disability, which while may be embarrassing, is really important to know.

BL.

25. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502

jkcerda

not really time to do so , you pretty much interact once you reach the pick up location