Uber is just as white and male as every other tech company

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by unlinked, Mar 28, 2017.

1. unlinked macrumors 6502a

2. forcesteeler macrumors 6502

i don't know why is everybody complaining. Most Engineers are looking to cash in and they are trying to start there own startup. Why work or Apple or Uber for $100,000+ or more per year when i have the possiblity of making millions on my own.

I remember when the guy that made Whatapp got turned down from Yahoo, and 2 Year later he sold whatapp for $19 Billion Dollars. :)

3. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Because the million dollar+ cash outs are extremely rare and major flops are extremely common. you also have a really good chance of getting screwed by investors in the startup world even if you do get to a acquisition stage.

The Internet has made it seem like someone near and like you is getting rich every 5 seconds, it's not that easy.

4. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68040

Mac'nCheese

Can't wait until companies stop with these ridiculous diversity reports.

5. firestarter macrumors 603

firestarter

You and your statistics and facts! :D

6. HEK macrumors 68040

HEK

Wait.....are you saying everything I read on internet isn't true?

Next you will be saying Faux News says fake stuff.

7. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68040

Mac'nCheese

Ironically, I need to take my first uber tomorrow. Maybe I should change to lyft.

Nah.

8. HEK macrumors 68040

HEK

Take you pistola with you, I wouldn't set foot in an uber or lyft unless I'm packin.

9. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68040

Mac'nCheese

Jesus why? Am I gonna get attacked?

10. HEK macrumors 68040

HEK

Possibly. Had one uber driver stab a guy for dissing his car. Another uber driver careened through gas station taking out a pump which exploded. Made hell of a you tube video. Look it up, plenty of incidents.

11. Populism macrumors regular

Populism

As long as there are able-bodied people choosing not to work, the DNC will have an income.

12. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68040

Mac'nCheese

I'm too afraid to!!! It's so much cheaper than a taxi in my neighborhood.

13. HEK macrumors 68040

HEK

Also what insurance does the uber or lyft driver have? In case you are injured in an accident? You realize drivers are not employees of uber or lyft. They contract rides. You can go after uber if the app don't work right. As far as the ride is concerned it's you and the driver. It's so much cheaper for a reason. Oh, and when was the last time the car was safety inspected? Just some things to consider.

14. dogslobber macrumors 68040

dogslobber

There are people all around making big bucks while we all prudently invest our time away here in this forum. It's similar to the PowerMegaLottoBall Big Bucks where you see somebody win $2m in your local Mart-Wally store and go rushing overthere to stock up on tickets.

Yes, people win big but just not any of us losers!

15. HEK macrumors 68040

HEK

I bought a lottery ticket once. Didn't win anything. Figured it was a sham. Now I'm certain I won't win, cuz I no longer buy tickets. What you call a sure thing.

16. dogslobber macrumors 68040

dogslobber

It's a giant Ponzi scheme but legally run.

17. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68040

Mac'nCheese

Never though of any of that tbh. Anyway, I survived. It cost under six bucks, I wasn't going very far.

18. A.Goldberg macrumors 68020

A.Goldberg

I actually much prefer Lyft to uber. Lyft seems to have better drivers (better customer service skills). Lyft seems to have a much shorter wait time in my area as well... 2-3 minutes versus 5-7+ with Uber. Lyft doesn't offer Town/Black Car service though, so if you need to ride in style on demand you're stuck with Uber.

19. Desertrat macrumors newbie

All this yap-yap about workplace diversity is BS. First off, competent people are needed, and competence comes from education and training. Next, potential workers must be interested in the type of work that's offered.

If I'm an Uber customer, all I want is for management to get a car headed my way, and that the driver have a reliable car that's not a rolling trash dump inside. I could not care less as to the racial makeup of either group, management or drivers.

20. yaxomoxay macrumors 68020

yaxomoxay

I love uber.
    Last three times I had a portorican (today), a Lebanese, and Texan woman. 5/5 service.
    No way I am going back to the taxi mafia.

21. Septembersrain Contributor

Septembersrain

I know a lot of women who do Uber here in San Antonio.

22. ibookg409 Suspended

ibookg409

Is it possible that white males are just better workers, better innovators, etc?

23. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

Don't you just sign up to be an Uber driver? If you have a car and insurance you're GTG? It's Uber's fault the numbers of those who sign up to drive for them pan out the way they do? This diversity just for the sake of it and fake outrage is getting stupid. What percent of the population in the US is white? What percent is Asian? What percent is Asian and gay? If half the US is made up of gay asians and they're hiring 80% hetero white guys and 5% gay asians, then they might have a case. But if 2% of the US is gay and Asian and their workforce is comprised of 1% gay Asian, WTF is the problem?

24. smallcoffee macrumors 65816

Yeah I've kind of grown tired of these reports. They focus solely on the tech industry, and I have yet to see any serious scientific study on the subject.

I did see Google recently opened a campus for Howard University nearby. Good on them. Most of the time these diversity metrics care about women as a whole (including mega-privileged white women who have an easier time than white men do at getting into college) and not white males or black males. I go out of my way to try to mentor African American males because I feel like they still get the short end of the stick in all of this.

Another thing that bothers me is that generally the people who are super passionate about diversity metrics or criticizing companies for not being "diverse enough" (whatever that means) want to do so at the expense of only white men, as though it's a zero-sum situation instead of educating and partnering with them. It's pretty disheartening to see such ignorance.