Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Uber responded on Friday to concerns surrounding its app's background tracking behavior by explaining that the issue is being caused by an update to iOS itself, not the company's ride-hailing app (via TechCrunch).

Concerns were first raised about Uber's use of location services when the company announced it would track customers' whereabouts for a few minutes after their trip ends and the app is no longer open, in order to improve its service. Privacy advocates' main complaint was that the app offered no opt-out. However, since that time many users have reported that the app goes much further and appears to track them for days or even weeks after they last used the ride-hailing service, even when the app is closed.

C0QJoTRWQAAkLqn.jpg
@gruber old ver last used 7 days ago. Is it possible that Uber enabled as Maps extension explains icon? pic.twitter.com/GfWG6ytY5s - Caleb Powell (@caleb_powell) December 22, 2016

Uber now says the unintentional behavior is being triggered by the iOS Maps extension that Apple added to its mobile operating system in September, not due to a bug in the Uber app or because of its recent location services update.

In iOS 10, Apple opened up Maps to third-party apps, allowing developers to create extensions that can be integrated into the search result of Maps. When an app is installed that features an extension for Apple Maps, it is automatically integrated, but the extension is disabled by default to prevent search results from getting too crowded.
According to an Uber spokesperson: "For people who choose to integrate ride sharing apps with iOS Maps, location data must be shared in order for you to request a ride inside the Maps app. Map extensions are disabled by default and you can choose to turn them on in your iOS settings," they said.
The confusion appears to lie in the way iOS 10 shows which apps use location services (Settings -> Privacy -> Location Services). The arrow icons are making users think third-party apps have silently been tracking them, when in fact it's due to the way Apple's Maps extension works in the background to provide location-based search results on request.

To make things clearer for users, TechCrunch suggests Apple adopts another color-coded arrow icon in the Location Services screen in order to distinguish between when an app directly accesses location data, and when its Maps extension does so.

Article Link: Uber Explains Why its App Appears to Track Users Days or Even Weeks After a Ride

Reactions: ps2sunvalley

JosephAW

macrumors 603
May 14, 2012
Yeah right. If integrating iOS maps into uber is the reason then why doesn't all the other apps we've enabled maps show as an active tracking as well?
Nice try, better go back to the drawing board and think up a better excuse.

d5aqoëp

macrumors 68000
Feb 9, 2016
This is just diverting the topic. Using maps extension is not even a question here.

Uber removed location access option "While using the app" and kept "Always" and "Never". So that they can track you always.

PS: I am not an idiot you Uber muppets!

zohaali146

macrumors regular
Nov 14, 2016
Don't know what's the truth though. But the idea of someone tracking you like this surely scares th hell out of me.

Reactions: JaSuS

A MacBook lover

Suspended
May 22, 2009
D.C.
I'm a UX designer because of Apple. They taught me good UX. And they suck now. Everyday I find a new bug. It's not the Apple it used to be.
I think the UI is great. It could be tweaked in a few places. I mean...if it bothers you that much they'res always Android

Pablo90

macrumors member
Aug 21, 2010
To me it's quite obvious why they are tracking users for a few minutes after a ride... because many get in the car, negotiate a better price with the driver, and interrupt the official transaction on Uber.. this way Uber can track and see if people are doing this

KALLT

macrumors 603
Sep 23, 2008
People who are upset about this have clearly not been paying attention. There are so many controversies surrounding this company and some of their executives in particular, that you cannot keep track of anymore. It is a disgusting company with a poor track record on ethics. They showed years ago that their executives can tap into customer contact and location data at their pleasure: https://www.theguardian.com/technol...cutive-after-journalists-privacy-was-breached.

Simple, stop using Uber.

M2M

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2009
Why is it optional in an app to share location only 'when using' ?
Apples quality review should enforce all 3 options: always, when using, never.
Or even better: the API should enforce it. Problem solved.

I see Apple as a (small) part of the problem here.

Carlanga

macrumors 604
Nov 5, 2009
To me it's quite obvious why they are tracking users for a few minutes after a ride... because many get in the car, negotiate a better price with the driver, and interrupt the official transaction on Uber.. this way Uber can track and see if people are doing this
What? I doubt it. Where are you from that this is something that many do?

KALLT

macrumors 603
Sep 23, 2008
Why is it optional in an app to share location only 'when using' ?
Apples quality review should enforce all 3 options: always, when using, never.
Or even better: the API should enforce it. Problem solved.

I see Apple as a (small) part of the problem here.

What if an app only works correctly with the ‘always’ access? For example, an app that is used to survey a location. If the app does not work as intended without this, then developer has to use all sorts of in-app constructs to make sure that the user understands this.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
That's one aspect that disappoints me. UX design used to be one of their strengths.
Yes because this was so awesome :D

mza_5832530847417736514.jpeg

I certainly have software issues but it's nothing to do with the UI. Seems Uber is deflecting here. I haven't heard about other apps using the maps extension with this issue.

Porco

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2005
Yes because this was so awesome :D

mza_5832530847417736514.jpeg

I certainly have software issues but it's nothing to do with the UI. Seems Uber is deflecting here. I haven't heard about other apps using the maps extension with this issue.

There were certainly some ridiculous examples of going too far with all the skeuomorphism in app designs, but I think iOS 7 onwards swung too far in the other direction... honestly I look at the example you posted and whilst it's silly to the point the functionality is a bit of an eccentric mess, I can't help but find it much more beautiful aesthetically... iOS 7 onwards is so sterile and basic it looks like HTML 2.0 web pages to me a lot of the time.

More on-topic, I agree with the point that colours to differentiate aspects of location services usage is poor from an accessibility point of view. Colours plus shapes would be an improvement.

Aston441

macrumors 68030
Sep 16, 2014
This is just diverting the topic. Using maps extension is not even a question here.

Uber removed location access option "While using the app" and kept "Always" and "Never". So that they can track you always.

PS: I am not an idiot you Uber muppets!

I still have the "while using the app" option. I'm running the latest update of Uber. Does that option disappear if I delete and reinstall the app?

thisisnotmyname

macrumors 68020
Oct 22, 2014
known but velocity indeterminate
Disable location access to Uber app when you are not using it that should fix it.

I've disabled it altogether and it just prompts me for addresses when I use it. I had one situation since doing so that it didn't seem to properly launch and then I did as you do: turned on location services, requested the Uber, turned it back off.

I really like Uber and feel they are a HUGE step up (that doesn't even do it justice) from the legacy taxi systems, I do hope this press makes them provide a config option for this particular aspect of their service though.

M2M

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2009
What if an app only works correctly with the ‘always’ access? For example, an app that is used to survey a location. If the app does not work as intended without this, then developer has to use all sorts of in-app constructs to make sure that the user understands this.

Apple poses all kind of restrictions to Apps. So this would just be another (reasonable) one. Personally I find it more "surprising" if a survey app continues to survey even though the user closed it (well there is no real intuitive quit - I don't think the average user understand the difference between pressing home button once and pressing home button twice to go to task switcher where you can really quit the app). In fact a survey app should rather inform the user if it continues tracking even if I close it (press the home button one) don't you think ?

In General I prefer a survey app only to survey when I have it open - or let's say a maximum of 5 minutes after closing unless reopened by me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.