Uber & Lyft ban right-wing activist after anti-Islamic tweets

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by MadeTheSwitch, Nov 2, 2017.

1. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

https://www.theverge.com/2017/11/1/...ing-activist-laura-loomer-anti-islamic-tweets

I'm not sure how I feel about this. On one hand I think a business has the right to ban someone that is being disruptive and I certainly do not like racist or discriminatory towards a religion or group, but this seems like blackballing someone over their free speech. What do you guys think?

2. Zenithal macrumors G3

In an age where the internet archives everything, why do people say stupid **** on Twitter?

3. Ntombi macrumors 68040

Ntombi

If she doesn’t want to ride with a significant number of drivers in their employ, and decides to state so publicly, they have every right to discontinue a professional relationship.

Like I told her when she threatened to sue, the terms of service are there for a reason.

Freedom of speech means freedom from government persecution, it doesn’t mean freedom from consequences. She’s a vile human being, and no one wants to deal with her. She brought that on herself.

4. MadeTheSwitch thread starter macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

Yes, but there aren't too many ridesharing services. Isn't this blackballing from an entire industry?

5. 0007776 Suspended

What people tend to forget is the first amendment only bans the government from restricting speech, not private companies. They are well within their rights to ban this person. The only way it would be a free speech violation would be if the government required them to ban anyone who said something racist against Arabs from their platform.

6. Ntombi macrumors 68040

Ntombi

Maybe but access to ridesharing isn’t a right, it’s a privilege.

Especially in NYC, where public transportation is abundant. (BTW, she also made disparaging comments about riding the subway. I told her to enjoy the bus.)

7. MadeTheSwitch thread starter macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

I never said it was a violation, just that she used her freedom of speech, said something and then got banned for it.

8. 0007776 Suspended

And there is no problem with that. Freedom of speech is not freedom from consequences.

9. MadeTheSwitch thread starter macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

I think consequences are dealt out differently to different people though.

10. 0007776 Suspended

Probably because it is different businesses/groups of people reacting to offensive speech.

11. Vanilla Ice macrumors 6502

Vanilla Ice

I agree 100% with you.

12. citizenzen macrumors 65816

If you were a Christian baker, and some [pseudo]celebrity said publicly that they never wanted to eat your awful wedding cakes ever again, is it wrong to say they aren't welcome in your bakery?

13. BeeGood macrumors 68000

BeeGood

Maybe, but that’s not Uber’s problem.

EDIT: @Ntombi beat me to it.

14. citizenzen macrumors 65816

If she doesn't want to run into any Arabic drivers, she can always take a taxi.

15. FrankieTDouglas macrumors 65816

16. MadeTheSwitch thread starter macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

And then all the other bakeries (Christian or otherwise) also said you were not welcome either? Because that would be the proper analogy here.

I think no. I think that would be a good opportunity to reach out and show the person why your cakes were in fact delicious. Or in this case maybe, how all Muslims are not terrorist. I really don't see what her issue in the first place really is, as you can see who is going to pick you up beforehand and can cancel the ride and get another her driver if you want.

Strange situation all the way around.

17. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Uber and Lyft are single companies. I'd accept your analogy if every other driver services also blackballed her.

And if she called Meals on Wheels, and they told her she needed to get lunch from someone else, then it would be a world-wide conspiracy.

18. MadeTheSwitch thread starter macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

Switching things to "driver service" is moving the goalpost a bit. There aren't a whole lot of other ride sharing services around...certainly not with a national footprint.

19. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Some of us survived for decades finding ways to get around before Uber and Lyft.

True those were brutally desperate conditions to live under, but somehow we managed.

20. MadeTheSwitch thread starter macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

Some of us used to be younger and used to have a car of their own and live nowhere near a bus stop. Things change.

21. oneMadRssn macrumors 601

oneMadRssn

Sees like blackballing someone over their hate speech. I'm fine with it.

22. Populism macrumors regular

Populism

If the post you responded to asked a sincere question, and you answered with an insincere question, do you think that would be helpful?

23. FrankieTDouglas macrumors 65816

How do you like how Trump can just sign things through via Executive Orders? Because the same thing happened last president, with Obama and his Executive Orders. It's not the detail of what is being signed, it's the fact that this power even exists in the first place.

If you're fine with this person being blackballed because you don't like her views, don't complain when a different power comes into place and decides that actually it is now YOUR views that are considered "hate speech."

24. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Certainly not to people who can’t adequately see the message behind what I was writing.

It’s not helpful to those people at all.

25. vvswarup macrumors 6502a

If a bakery can refuse to bake a cake for a same-sex wedding because same-sex marriage is against their religious beliefs and if an employer can deny contraceptive coverage because it's against their principles, Uber should be free to deny service to individual in question on the basis of their tweets.