Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Uber's latest app update appears to have removed several important iOS integrations, with the service now unavailable to both Siri and Apple Maps.

If you ask Siri to get you an Uber, a feature that has been available since the launch of iOS 10, Siri will say that Uber hasn't activated that feature. In the "Siri & Search" section of the Uber options in the Settings app, there's also no longer a "Use with Siri" toggle.

siriapplemapsuberintegration-800x858.jpg

Similarly, in Apple Maps, you can no longer select Uber as an option when choosing "Ride" when getting directions. This is also a feature that debuted in iOS 10.

Both Siri and Apple Maps integrations are still available for other ride sharing apps like Lyft, so the problem seems to be with the Uber app rather than with Apple's services.

The removal of both features was noticed by MacRumors readers and reddit users starting last week. It is not clear if Uber has deliberately removed these features or if it's a bug, and the company did not respond to a request for comment when contacted by MacRumors earlier this afternoon. We have also contacted Apple and will update this post when we hear back.

Uber integration with Siri, enabled through the SiriKit API, was a much touted feature when iOS 10 first launched, as was Apple Maps integration. Both Apple and Uber heavily promoted the two options when iOS 10 rolled out.

Article Link: Uber's Siri and Apple Maps Integrations Have Disappeared

izyreal

macrumors regular
Sep 26, 2012
USA
Alas, poor Uber! I knew him, Horatio; a fellow of infinite jest, of most excellent fancy; he hath borne me on his back a thousand times; and now, how abhorred in my imagination it is! My gorge rises at it. Here hung those lips that I have kissed I know not how oft. Where be your gibes now? Your gambols? Your songs? Your flashes of merriment, that were wont to set the table on a roar?

ignatius345

macrumors 604
Aug 20, 2015
Good riddance. I use VIA in NYC, which brings an actual yellow cab (no surge pricing) -- or I just call the car service phone number like I've been doing for years.

Reactions: Pirate!

peroddmund

macrumors member
Mar 24, 2012
This is too bad. I enjoy using Uber, but I don't trust their app. I would use Apple Maps to hail a car every time, even with location data turned off on the Uber app. But I guess Im in the minority here, and thats why they removed it.

jrlcopy

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2007
Yeah our drivers in NYC do all 3 of the main ones, Uber/Lyft/Juno... Every driver has three phones, lol

Reactions: Avieshek

Starship67

Suspended
Oct 28, 2017
LA
Still use Uber and will continue to. Ive never had an issue with a driver or car.
Probably just a bug, it was working. They updated the app recently, so par for the course lately of app devs fix some break some.

Reactions: miniyou64

cuencap

macrumors 6502
Dec 12, 2011
Good riddance. I use VIA in NYC, which brings an actual yellow cab (no surge pricing) -- or I just call the car service phone number like I've been doing for years.

So you call for a normal yellow cab or you get a car service. Why don’t you simply hail a cab on the side of the road and cut out paying the middle man? What service is VIA providing you? I don’t love what I’ve heard about uber lately but I do love their service. Much more convenient (and more readily available) than Lyft in my area.

If Lyft didn’t start off with the gimmick of “each car has a theme”, which consisted of a dirty hipster serving you homemade cookies, they would be way more popular.

caliguy

macrumors 6502
Jun 12, 2005
Hopefully it’s just a bug. I prefer Lyft, but appreciate glancing at the competitive bid from Uber.

Reactions: JoEw

CristianM

macrumors member
Aug 4, 2015
Alas, poor Uber! I knew him, Horatio; a fellow of infinite jest, of most excellent fancy; he hath borne me on his back a thousand times; and now, how abhorred in my imagination it is! My gorge rises at it. Here hung those lips that I have kissed I know not how oft. Where be your gibes now? Your gambols? Your songs? Your flashes of merriment, that were wont to set the table on a roar?

Good one.

friednoodles

Suspended
Feb 4, 2014
This same issue is happening with LINE, and it looks like it might be a bug, because under the settings summary it shows “Use with Siri” (indicating it’s already enabled), but when you tap through to where the toggle should be, the toggle/option is completely missing. So there’s no way to turn it off, and Siri gives the same “hasn’t set that up with me yet” message. This has been happening for me since iOS 11.0.

Reactions: miniyou64

uroshnor

macrumors member
Nov 4, 2015
This is too bad. I enjoy using Uber, but I don't trust their app. I would use Apple Maps to hail a car every time, even with location data turned off on the Uber app. But I guess Im in the minority here, and thats why they removed it.

Or Apple’s privacy policy let them see or do less with data from people who triggered it from Maps, and Uber wanted to do something dodgy with end user data.

By doing this they force people to their app.

I know that sounds like a conspiracy theory, but is it really after the 95 other bad, disrespectful or illegal things Uber been caught doing already with user data ?

robjulo

Suspended
Jul 16, 2010
While I use Lyft almost exclusively, a vast majority of the drivers I’ve ridden with drive for both services, so same cars and same drivers.

If you haven't tried Lyft... do it. In my experience it's cheaper and the cars are cleaner.

I switched to Lyft and haven’t looked back. Better cars and drivers, same prices, better treatment of women at the company.

soanis

macrumors regular
Apr 15, 2013
Europe
I used Siri to "Call X on Skype" regularly but since after iOS10.2 that was gone as well. In the meantime I got rid of my 5S, don't own an iPhone anymore...
Can someone verify if this still doesn't work on iOS 11? Ta

bhart62

macrumors newbie
Feb 1, 2018
Pittsburgh, PA

Uber's latest app update appears to have removed several important iOS integrations, with the service now unavailable to both Siri and Apple Maps.

If you ask Siri to get you an Uber, a feature that has been available since the launch of iOS 10, Siri will say that Uber hasn't activated that feature. In the "Siri & Search" section of the Uber options in the Settings app, there's also no longer a "Use with Siri" toggle.

siriapplemapsuberintegration-800x858.jpg

Similarly, in Apple Maps, you can no longer select Uber as an option when choosing "Ride" when getting directions. This is also a feature that debuted in iOS 10.

Both Siri and Apple Maps integrations are still available for other ride sharing apps like Lyft, so the problem seems to be with the Uber app rather than with Apple's services.

The removal of both features was noticed by MacRumors readers and reddit users starting last week. It is not clear if Uber has deliberately removed these features or if it's a bug, and the company did not respond to a request for comment when contacted by MacRumors earlier this afternoon. We have also contacted Apple and will update this post when we hear back.

Uber integration with Siri, enabled through the SiriKit API, was a much touted feature when iOS 10 first launched, as was Apple Maps integration. Both Apple and Uber heavily promoted the two options when iOS 10 rolled out.

Article Link: Uber's Siri and Apple Maps Integrations Have Disappeared

I find this article a little frustrating since you don't mention which iOS version and the Uber build number. That being said, I'm running what I believe to be the latest version of the Uber app (version 3.282.10000) and I'm running the public beta of iOS 11.3 and I still have the Siri toggle and integration. Maybe it's returned in the beta or I've still have not received the Uber update

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.