UC Berkeley, their education poureth over

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by tshrimp, Jun 1, 2017.

1. tshrimp macrumors 6502

tshrimp

2. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

from link
    he/she/it (don't want to assume genders here) might need a refund.

3. daflake macrumors 6502a

It took her two years to figure it out? Yep, moving to Germany may have been the best idea I had yet. Maybe she should stick to velcro

4. oneMadRssn macrumors 68040

oneMadRssn

If you're paying for grad school, you're doing it wrong.

5. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

I knew somebody when I was a PhD student at Princeton that was studying how to describe with mathematics all possible knots. It sounded absurd at first, but then he told me about the applications regarding the 3-D shape of DNA. With respect to this research, I would imagine that mountain climbers, rescue workers, construction workers etc. would be very happy to understand why knots fail. You just never know what will be useful.

6. daflake macrumors 6502a

So basically you are saying that her work was derivative?

7. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

Double knot the ****ing things you idiot.

8. daflake macrumors 6502a

Took two years for that one to figure it out.

9. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

and plenty of cash

10. daflake macrumors 6502a

It's a liberal campus, it should be free right? Oh wait...

11. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

Seriously, we need to spend money on this type of ****. Worse yet an adult, their professors, approved that?

12. daflake macrumors 6502a

It was probably the crux of her thesis that she had to defend! WTF?

13. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

I hope so, I wouldn't want such important research to go unchallenged. Their methods must be sound!

14. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

Cue up the picture of the thinking guy saying" Don't need to know why shoelaces come untied if you wear velcros."

15. niploteksi macrumors regular

Really strange they didn't manage to figure out the mechanics of it. It's the counter force of the string holding it apart (hence the torsion). Easily seen when one looks at a string with less flexibility and using the prototypical knot. Say for instance on a pair of headphone cords. :rolleyes:

Anyone with basic knowledge about knots, knows how to tie them. But it's actually a good idea to apply some math and physics theory to it. I assumed people had done this already.

I thought this was a practical joke at first.

String-Theory

16. unlinked macrumors 6502a

17. chown33 macrumors 604

For the nautically inclined, the "weak form" is a slipped granny knot, and the "strong form" is a slipped reef knot (square knot). Technically, "doubly slipped" in both cases.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shoelace_knot

The cited reference for a doubly slipped granny is the venerable "Ashley's Book of Knots" (1944).

Regarding the Berkeley research: not original work, but may be minimally useful as confirmation of prior results (though anyone who's ever sailed would already know this).

As a general comment, this is hardly the dumbest thing I've heard out of Berkeley, and it certainly won't be the last dumb thing I hear from there.

18. Gutwrench macrumors 65816

Gutwrench

I can tie a one second bowline and never attended UC-Berkeley.

(I've been on campus twice as part of a mutual aid riot team. What a bunch of out of touch turds. I became a huge Stanford fan.)

19. tshrimp thread starter macrumors 6502

tshrimp

Maybe you learned your tie tying through osmosis while on the campus :).

20. BeeGood macrumors 68000

BeeGood

I was just about to post this. The first impulse is to come up with a snide comment (as some have done) but we all do a ton of everyday activities without really thinking through why we do them. Or why exactly certain ways work better than others.

And, as @VulchR said, you never know what seemingly trivial discoveries end up having wide reaching and important applications.

21. niploteksi macrumors regular

Having studied mechanics myself (a long time ago) I was quite intrigued by tying knots on my headphone cord and watch the torsion and counter force on the cord. Way beyond my current skills to form theories about it though.

22. VulchR, Jun 1, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2017

VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

If I recall a popular press article correctly, somebody has explained why headphone cords mysteriously tie themselves into Gorgon's knots just randomly jostling about in a pocket... Personally, I blame the same people who steal socks out of the washing machine.

23. jerwin macrumors 65816

The reporter certainly has a bee in his bonnet.
    Some people will do everything they can to minimize the importance of scientific research.

The paper on "the Japanese art of Paper Folding" has implications for how satellites and space craft are designed.

And the paper on shoelaces was not an attempt to restate common sense, but rather, an attempt to figure out how knots untie themselves.

"Ooh, would you look at that. What a waste of money. We should all storm the University gates and burn the libraries!"

24. Zenithal macrumors 68040

25. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

I prefer the study done at Liberty University, where they found that if you pray hard enough, Jesus will tie your shoes.