UC Davis OWS Protesters peppersprayed

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by dukebound85, Nov 20, 2011.

1. bruinsrme macrumors 601

bruinsrme

Any idea what they were protesting?

I just find it ironic college students are protesting the very product they created.

2. torbjoern macrumors 65816

torbjoern

Pepper-spraying people who are already handcuffed and seated on the ground? This is torture!

3. (marc) macrumors 6502a

(marc)

Well, the US has to put its know-how gathered in Guantanamo to "good" use somehow! :rolleyes:

4. bruinsrme macrumors 601

bruinsrme

Did I miss where it said they were handcuffed?

5. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

they were not handcuffed. They just had their arms link.

Now it was an example of exesive force. Tear gas would of been much better to use. Pepper spray is meant to incapacitate some one. Tear gas is design to cause people to disperse. They should of at least used the correct tool. They also could of stated at the end of the link of people who had their arms linked and started arresting them one at a time.

The way they used pepper spray was complete uncalled for an incorrect use of that tool.

6. torbjoern macrumors 65816

torbjoern

Sorry - I confused with arm link. That makes it even worse (more difficult to avoid the spray)

7. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

If you don't know what they were protesting how on earth can you find it "ironic" :confused:?

Agreed. There is no need for such force. It's assault and was caught on many cameras.

8. Heilage macrumors 68030

Heilage

I thought pepper spray was to be used against subjects whom appeared threatening or such. I think these students pretty much had submitted, so this seems extremely excessive to me, even though I don't know any of the finer details.

9. bruinsrme macrumors 601

bruinsrme

The protests are using the OWS umbrella. colleges are preparing and turning out the people they are protesting against.

As far as pepper spraying I agree that's a little excessive.

10. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

If they were actually college students the school should refund their tuition for the year.

11. .Andy, Nov 20, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2011

.Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

Even if colleges are the ones "responsible for turning out the people OWS is against" as you claim how on earth would protesting against that organisation be at all "ironic" :confused:? It would seem a perfect place to protest to get things to change wouldn't it?

12. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

you do know that most of OWS have a college degree.
    OWS is more about the abuse of the people at the top. AKA bankers and tops of large companies.
    The middle class is powered by people with college degrees and they are protesting the abuse from the people at the top.

13. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

You do have a source for this, right?

14. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

why yes I do.

[​IMG]

15. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Not trying to nitpick here, but I can't tell where this chart came from. Can you please provide a link?

Also, it says Have been to college which doesn't necessarily mean they have a degree.

Attached Files:

16. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

http://www.dangerousminds.net/images/uploads/afiles/OWSvsTeaParty.jpg
    true but does speak volumes.
    Now from that 92% we can figure say 61-62% have a degree. (based on the the fact that roughly 2/3's of the people who start college complete it)

Still does show volumes that most vast majority of the people in OWS have been to college.

17. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

I can't speak for the accuracy or the original artist who made the infographic however the links to the data appear to be at the bottom of the chart for you scrutiny.

18. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Thanks, but for some reason I can't seem to make them large enough for me to read.

19. bruinsrme macrumors 601

bruinsrme

Change? Why would it change? Some of the salaries and benefit packages of the college administrators rival those of some CEOs. Would universities be willing to take a stance against, WS, and risk losing millions in tuition income from corporations and the annual donations for the more successful alumni?

Many people, other corporations, and establishments depend on the "1%" and many not want to upset them.

20. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

When I was in college, the growth of the university as a business was all too evident. It seemed like Michigan at the time was establishing a new administrative executive position every week or two (I poked fun of it in our newspaper's humor section with a fake release that they had just established a vice president of nuthin' but a gangsta party). Research grant overheads IIRC went from 15-20% in the late 1990s to an absurdist 50% or more, with an insinuation from administration that researchers should be glad they got as much as half back. And of course, tuition rises are consistently far apace of inflation at many big universities.

I believe firmly in higher education, and yet, at the same time, I found myself rejecting an academic career specifically because universities frequently have far more of the worst of the corporate world than large companies do.

21. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

I never said anything about these protestors being successful at bringing about change. But if any of what you claimed earlier in the thread is at all true than it is not an ironic target to protest by any stretch of the imagination.
    To me its pretty obvious you really are just taking shots at OWS protestors without thinking too mich about what you've typed. Your first 2 posts make little sense at all any now you've gone off on a total tangent.

22. bruinsrme macrumors 601

bruinsrme

I am taking shots at OWS especially on campuses.

If pointing out the education system is part of the problem and they're not about to risk disrupting the flow of funds, I'll accept your comment about going off on a tangent.

23. bruinsrme macrumors 601

bruinsrme

No problem. Handcuffed or arms linked, pepper spray is wrong

24. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Looks like the U of C administration just might agree.