UC Irvine rescinds acceptances from nearly 500 applicants

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by jkcerda, Jul 30, 2017.

1. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

https://www.upi.com/Top_News/US/201...ces-from-nearly-500-applicants/5011501347006/
    with school nearing this could be very bad for those who thought they were in.....

2. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

Horrible for the kids and their parents as well. What is the school thinking. This like overbooking on airlines, only with far worse potential to disrupt people's lives.

3. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502

jkcerda

There must gut be some lawsuits coming their way

4. Septembersrain Contributor

Septembersrain

I bet this will be shocking and very disturbing to those students. They might not have a chance to get into another school until the next enrollment. That would definitely be frustrating. I bet lawsuits will be abound.

5. bopajuice macrumors 6502a

bopajuice

Interesting. Considering their school population is overwhelmingly Asian students. (Know this firsthand). Wondering if their recision has anything to do with student demographics or politics? Never know in this day and age.

6. daflake macrumors 6502a

7. Zenithal, Jul 31, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2017

Zenithal macrumors 68040

This is abnormal only in the sense that schools don't expect all their offers to be accepted. Someone applying at Stanford, for example, will also be applying to UCLA, UC Berkeley, Yale, Columbia, et al. If they offer 1K students a chance, but only expect 700 to come in, with the remaining 300 to go to other schools, they're golden. If those applicants all accept Stanford's offer, Stanford will rescind on second evaluation of who's most deserving.

In simpler terms, schools often bite more than they can chew. It's a problem now among the UC system but also schools like Stanford, Yale, Harvard, Boston, Columbia, et al. Hell, it's always been a problem. I'd argue getting a spot for grad school is easy unless you studied your undergrad elsewhere. Getting a doctoral placement is difficult now and always has been. More students than there are positions.

8. VulchR, Jul 31, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2017

VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

Having worked at academic institutions all my professional career, I can almost guarantee this was some sort of IT glitch in which the variable representing the desired number of incoming students was either input incorrectly or miscommunicated. Universities do overbook, assuming some students applying to multiple institutions will go elsewhere even if accepted, but there are good statistical models that predict this sort of thing well. Occasionally our University has underestimated the number of accepted students who will actually show up, but never by 500 students. Nobody in the University would want to crush young people like that.

EDIT: Mind you, if our university accepts a student, even in error, they are given a place and we admit them if they decide to attend.

9. Gutwrench macrumors 65816

Gutwrench

Occam's Razor. A single variable problem...that's got to be it. I'll bet the table column holding that variable was defined one digit smaller than necessary so the value was truncated. Or maybe the host variable was declared too small resulting in truncation when fetched.

An alter table or recompile should resolve this in short order. /s

Ps - do you mind disclosing your university? Even a general geographic location would be satisfactory.

10. stylinexpat macrumors 6502a

My friend is supposed to start school there this next month. I will ask to see if she got one of those notifications. She is Asian who made graduated with very high grades out of High School.

11. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

Isn't this why you apply to safety schools?

12. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

Look at the details beneath my Avatar... ;) I am not trying to minimise the awful nature of the situation, but this is the kind of thing Universities try very hard to avoid (for obvious reasons of reputation risk). It's bad enough to have to inform somebody that they weren't admitted, but to do so after accepting them is awful. However, it might just be as simple as a typo, but of course it could also be something like an inappropriate application of a statistical model predicting how many acceptances get converted into enrolments (particularly if conditions have changed from the previous year). In any case, they're be red faces all around for this cringeworthy error.

13. Gutwrench macrumors 65816

Gutwrench

I'll take a look at your Avatar once I'm home.

The typo explanation seem ridiculous to me. I would assume a school has weekly or monthly meetings where the topic (number of apps received, acceptance numbers, enrollment projections etc) is regularly discussed and they make adjusts as necessary.

A one time typo that goes unnoticed for months as processing goes merrily along is well laughable to me.

The school's explanation seems reasonable to me. They were under projected students that would accept.

But I still feel they should run an alter table making the column a bigint just to be safe.

14. ThisBougieLife macrumors 65816

ThisBougieLife

Yep, pretty horrible. I remember how incredibly elated I was when I got into UC Davis (especially since it followed months of stress); I can't imagine how crushed I would've been if they had rescinded my application because of "overaccepting".

15. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

16. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

Sure, but to be advised that your acceptance is rescinded so late in summer?

Some kids report in just a couple weeks especially for sports team roundup etc. And all these kids must have declined their safety schools by now. The schools tell you date by which you must respond to an offer. It's before now!

It's more than possible some of the kids didn't file their transcripts, of course. But to have so many bounced out of the incoming pool for one term... sounds to me a lot like UC Irvine wanted not to have any empty revenue-seat-miles (to borrow again from airlines metaphor) happening on this "flight"...

... and that usual stats on "overbooking" vs declining didn't fall into norms.

What a mess.

17. Zenithal macrumors 68040

Even if you applied to safety schools, most of those schools require a confirmation that you will be attending by such and such date. If the date has passed by, what good is a safety school? This would be nice PR for another school outside the UC network or in the UC network to accept these people, and probably offer a partial scholarship.

I'm not even completely sure what UC Irvine is known for, apart from having their own Level 1 trauma center and a decent medicine program. Irvine is such a mess. Fairly conservative in relation to the rest of the OC. Does have a higher Asian population, you can't deny that, most of whom are practicing Christians from what I recall. The city is home to a few corporations. Is also victim to ME investment. A lot of land and homes have been bought up by wealthy Saudis and Kuwaitis. These are people who'll randomly knock on a door and offer the homeowner a couple million in cash, when the home may only be worth 78% of that.

18. appleisking macrumors 6502a

Did these students pay their deposits. As I understand it once you pay the tuition deposit your seat is secured.

19. DearthnVader macrumors 6502

DearthnVader

Filed under real first world problems, we should just have a thread.:rolleyes:

20. Septembersrain Contributor

Septembersrain

Yeah but there are some people who might find a certain class or field only offered at this university. How common that is, I'm not sure but I have seen it happen.