UE tourist in USA - Can i buy an iPhone 5s

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by tomekalmighty, Sep 28, 2013.

1. tomekalmighty macrumors newbie

Hello guys, I am coming to California for a month next week and I would really want to buy an unlocked iPhone 5s that I could use at home in europe.

So I have a couple of questions for you guys from US and would really appriciate it if you can help me out here:

1. I heard Verizon is selling all the iPhones factory unlocked. So I am wondering if I can actually buy the iPhone 5s there off contract as a non US citizen (for 650$ + tax), or do i need to make some sort of a contract with them. Or can I just walk in buy the iPhone and walk out without a sim card.

2. Apple stores still dont sell factory unlocked iphones 5s yet right? It usually takes about 2 months for that to happen, so where could I get one if Verizon wont be an option and apple store isnt one too?

2. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

a lot of Verizon stores won't sell you an iphone unless you're paying the subsidized rate. just go into an apple store and say you want a verizon (or AT&T) iphone and that you want to purchase it outright (without upgrading or signing up for service).

3. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

buy from apple store full price, it will come unlocked even though its a carrier phone, check the full price threads bought from the store here.

4. KPOM macrumors G5

The Verizon model or device-only AT&T models from the Apple Store are your best bets. Since you're here for a month, you should be able to find one in an Apple Store. I had no problems buying a Verizon model device-only. I don't have a Verizon account and they didn't ask me any questions. A Verizon store might be another story, though.

Be advised that the US models lack Band 7 (2600MHz) LTE support, which a lot of European carriers are using. They do support the 1800MHz and 800MHz bands that other carriers are using for LTE, though.

5. CEmajr macrumors 601

You can buy either the Verizon, AT&T, or T-Mobile iPhone direct from the Apple Store full price and they will be unlocked. The only one you need to stay clear of is the Sprint one.

6. tomekalmighty thread starter macrumors newbie

7. rdy0329 macrumors 6502

Be careful with your wording though:

Say "I want a device-only AT&T/Verizon iPhone". They will charge you full price. Do not say unlocked (they will turn you away) or just AT&T/Verizon iPhone as they will assume you are getting a subsidized phone. You can also ask for a T-mobile iPhone (full price, unlocked) but T-mobile iPhones are harder to find.

8. tomekalmighty thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok ill keep that in mind :)

I am using GSM network in my country, but I guess it does not really matter if I take AT&T, T-mobile or Verizon right, since they are all unlocked?

9. rdy0329 macrumors 6502

Yes they are, at worst you get only 2G & 3G signal at best, you get full compatibility with your network (2G, 3G & LTE).

Check this out to find out if your telco has the same band as the AT&T/Verizon/T-Mobile iPhones (for LTE):
    www.apple.com/iphone/LTE

10. tomekalmighty thread starter macrumors newbie

Yea my provider is using the 1800 MHz and 800 MHz LTE Band so i guess any model will work fine :D