UFO's

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Huntn, Jan 26, 2011.

1. Huntn, Jan 26, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2011

Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

I wish this issue could be proven with certainty. I wish the government would just come clean. I don't think it would cause a world wide panic. In fact it might help the world gain some perspective with how we treat each other. I've always said "why not"? The problem with movies (like the one below) is that they can be faked, just like when I watch Ghost Hunters at home. Is it real or created for our entertainment?

I watched a show on either Discovery or History, making a case that the distances between systems is just so huge, that it would take forever to travel across the universe. Except that is based on technology we are aware of. Most SciFi writers use some kind of a gimmick to allow for this, a stargate or a wormhole. Is it possible? Why not? :)

Is there life, possibly intelligent life on other planets? When you consider how many planets/systems/galaxies there are and want to play the odds, I'd say it is a virtual certainty we are not alone. The question is are we close enough to someone else to make contact?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WlLN_Jcg1pc

2. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

Alien spaceship theories are the product of middle aged men living with their parents, drunks, or recreational drug users.

With that being said, yes, I think the evidence certainly suggests we are not the only inhabited planet in the universe.

3. iPhoneCollector macrumors 6502a

iPhoneCollector

no we are not alone the aliens are watching us while we sleep

4. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Of course there's life on other planets. How could there not be?

5. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Whilst I do believe in life forms on other planets, given the sheer number of galaxies, stars, planets, etc, I don't believe that we have been contacted or that it will happen anytime soon for the same reasons.. the sheer number of galaxies, stars, planets, etc. Not to mention the high level of technology that it would require.

6. Huntn thread starter macrumors G5

Huntn

That's only half the question and half the answer. Are they HERE, checking us out? Now we can talk about if they are following the Prime Directive or if they are carrying the latest copy of "To Serve Man"? :rolleyes:

7. fivepoint macrumors 65816

fivepoint

8. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

Nope.

"Belief" is certainly a requirement when it comes to alien spaceships. There certainly isn't any credible evidence.

9. citizenzen macrumors 65816

I used to.

Now, it's put up... or shut up.

Prove it just like we prove anything else.

Call me when they do.

10. heehee macrumors 68020

heehee

I'm sure there is life on there planets, but I'm sure they have not made contact. If they have the technology to travel so far/fast, I'm sure we would be taken over by now.

11. Huntn thread starter macrumors G5

Huntn

Why would the You Tube link I posted have no credibility? At the least it is intriguing and worthy of further investigation.

Why would you assume this? It's 50/50 they are (for no better description) good or bad. Good as in live and let live. I'll leave Bad up to your imagination. :D

12. iShater macrumors 604

iShater

I could prove it to you, but I can't remember where I parked my darned ship! :p

13. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

Occam's razor generally makes quick work of alien spaceship theories. There is so much we don't know about the universe, yet we are so infatuated with the idea of alien visitation it has become a default explanation for "UFO" activity, superceding hundreds or thousands of plausible (and far simpler) explanations.

14. Huntn thread starter macrumors G5

Huntn

I realize it is a huge "if" but if any of those movies are real, the debate would be academic.

15. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

And that's precisely why people ignore more reasoned thinking. For many, the possiblity is just too tantalizing for them to be rational about it.

16. Huntn thread starter macrumors G5

Huntn

It would not take any reasoned thinking if a UFO flew up next to your airplane. If you give such movies any credibility reasoned thinking is not so much required as nailing down authenticity... I know, you are gonna say "that would not happen". ;)

Any comments on the video? Maybe, or obviously faked?

17. heehee macrumors 68020

heehee

Even if they are "good", why would they travel this far and stay for abit, and only a few visited? I would image they have millions of their kind where they live, wouldn't we be a "tourist attraction" if they found something?

18. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

"UFOs" is okay I think, "UFO's" is possessive like "Watch out for the UFO's laser."

19. tersono macrumors 68000

tersono

Well, if there isn't it'd be an awful waste of space... :p

20. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

UFO is a broad term, it is something that is unidentified, it could be man made or from outer space. If we knew it was an alien craft we would say that and not say it is unexplained. Sure there has to be intelligent life out there, probably even smarter than we are. Who knows maybe something did crash in Roswell back in the 50's that is being covered up. Or it was just a government experiment gone wrong. Until little green men start shooting at us we will never have real proof.

21. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

And until then, we'll just have to take the word of drunken rednecks and their cattle. :D

22. Queso macrumors G4

Of course the apparent silence of the Universe may be down to something along these lines...

[​IMG]

They may all be broadcasting right at us and we wouldn't have a clue.

23. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

If aliens didn't want to be found they would experiment on the rednecks who people would never believe. Maybe there is something to it when all the trailer trash says they were probed.

24. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

But if they were sufficiently tech advanced to reach us, there are so many more effective ways of covering one's tracks.. Unless they're all practical jokers.

25. pivo6 macrumors 68000

pivo6

Of course there's alien life. Haven't you seen Torchwood? They're all settled in south Wales, mainly in Cardiff.