Uganda Is Definitely Not Gay-Friendly

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by skunk, Jan 27, 2011.

1. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

I hope the US "church" which campaigned for the killing of homosexuals in Uganda is well proud of itself. I'm sure the African continent will be a safer place. Not.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-12295718

2. miniConvert macrumors 68040

miniConvert

That's shocking. I've not seen it, but I think Scott Mills has done a documentary there on this subject? So said his Twitter the other day, anyway.

Hard to imagine homosexuality still being illegal in some places at all. But it does make me realise what a long way we've come; just a shame we didn't take the rest of the world with us.

3. skunk, Jan 27, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2011

skunk thread starter macrumors G4

skunk

There are evidently some seriously primitive areas where homosexuality is still considered a mortal sin. I'm looking at you, Jesusland.

4. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

They are not the only religion clinging on to their medieval beliefs.

5. miniConvert macrumors 68040

miniConvert

I. Had. No. Idea. Things. Were. That. Bad.

Barbados?!

6. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

Yes, Barbados. Why does that shock you?
    Quite a few of the other Commonwealth (old Imperial British territories).
    Of course they were just following British Law then and never bothered to change things after independence.
    Which means lesbians are OK in Zimbabwe and Malawi, for example, but if you are a gay male…

Me and hubby plan our holidays very carefully. You don't want to get thrown in jail on suspicion.

7. Queso macrumors G4

The majority of the Caribbean is a no-go for gay people. Their loss. I just spend my holiday money somewhere more civilised and urge others to do the same.

8. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

I agree. I would never set foot in any of those hellholes. Whenever someone tells me they're going to Jamaica and would I like like to come, I have to educate them on what they do to people like us. Those places suck. Horrible things have happened to gay travelers in those places.

9. Queso macrumors G4

Even worse things happen to gay locals sadly.

10. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Yes, I know. And people wonder why we talk as much as we do about this issue.

11. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

This is true and far be it from me to tell people where to go on their hols but gay people in Jamaica especially need support and not isolation and richer westerners have it in their power to make a difference.Don't get me wrong I know how hard it is to put your own safety at risk to help others but some brave people are doing exactly that.

12. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Holy *****, North Korea has better LGBT rights than half of the Caribbean countries. And Singapore is the most surprising - illegal for men there. :eek:

And Europe is a pleasant surprise. Recognition of gay marriages is mixed, but in every single European country, it's not illegal to be gay. Western Europe doesn't surprise me so much, but Eastern Europe does.

13. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

Singapore doesn't surprise me at all,authoritarian to the bone.South Africa in spite of horrendous violence against gays has laws the rival the best of northern European countries.

14. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

I lived there for a few years in the '80s.
    "Good looking" policemen would be set as traps along known gay hangouts… East Coast Park and Raffles place.
    The poor man caught soliciting would be arrested and then the full details — face, description and all published in the Strai(gh)ts Times… A stiff (sorry :eek:) sentence inevitably followed.

All the while Singapore Airlines were advertising their airhostesses as "A great way to fly…"

Haven't been back since the mide '90s so don't know what the situation is like now. I think oral sex is still banned (heterosexual oral sex, that is)

This map really does illustrate the point. The only "light" is within the borders of South Africa. The rest of Africa remains a no go zone.

15. Queso macrumors G4

Whilst gay sex is technically illegal in Singapore in practice everyone will happily turn a blind eye providing you're reasonably discrete. It's so hard in that country not to fall foul of the authorities in some respect they can't possibly enforce every law they have going.

South Africa BTW basically has gay equality because Nelson Mandela demanded that nobody be left out in the post-Apartheid world.

16. Peterkro, Jan 27, 2011

Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

I think you are equating Mandela with the ANC, whilst his ideas are basically pro freedom don't forget there are other strands to ANC the (shock horror)Communists for example.Mandela is after all part of African royalty.

(P.S. he's in hospital in S.A. for a second day,the establishment is playing down his health concerns,and I hope they are right but who knows)

17. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Hell, I put my own safety at risk here over the years, especially in the Reagan 80s. That would be nothing new.

Which people from foreign countries are going to Jamaica to challenge the inequities there? Just curious. I personally do not have the ability to challenge the Jamaican government by myself.

18. Peterkro, Jan 27, 2011

Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

These people for instance.I have no interest in supporting a multinational brewery but Red Stripe have tried to do what they can for personal freedom in Jamaica and have been rewarded by boycotts in the U.S.:

http://www.ukgaynews.org.uk/Archive/10/Apr/0801.htm

P.S. I don't doubt your personal bravery when confronted with bigotry I've seen over 30 years the upfront bravery of Gay black men in Brixton who have faced death threats and more who are now accepted community figures,I've also seen gay men who have stood up against appalling violence in cow town New Zealand who now are loved and supported by all for their brave stance.

19. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

That's really cool. I've been in scary situations before here- death threats by phone and the like. It's no fun, but you have to stand up for yourself.

20. NickZac macrumors 68000

NickZac

Uganda is a cultural oddball, which has always interested me greatly. Diversity wise, it is unreal (not quite New Guinea but still substantial cultural diversity). Recently, that diversity has almost all 'adopted' Christianity, which has been driven by Christian 'Missionaries' (they sure ain't doing any mission I would ever support). IIRC the country is like 90% Christian now. Many of the whack-job 'Christians', have 'driven' (force fed) this conversion. Subsequently, because the driving forces behind the newer religious ideology are out of their minds and willing to meet their own personal goals at any expense, you have a major, major problem. These are the people that kill abortion doctors and advocate the executions of gay persons and unfortunately, many people (IMO) of great evil have done work their, claiming to be doing so in the name of Jesus. This 'evil' ideology often becomes adopted and in societies with less freedom, being able to fight it can be very difficult, especially when the people advocating hate have strong influence. Numerous 'celebrities' have worked in numerous countries to advocate the execution of gay persons. If someone is taught something as if it is fact and no alternative is presented, they will adopt it.

This isn't unlike having AIDS in Burma...

If someone harmed any of my gay friends solely due to their sexuality, there would be hell to pay.

21. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Good to hear. Things have gotten much better, but there is still a lot to do.

22. Hugh macrumors 6502a

Hugh

I don't understand....Why are women legal in some of these countries but males are not? :/

Hugh

23. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Because Queen Victoria refused to believe that lesbianism existed, and thus lesbianism was never banned in the British Empire.

24. skunk thread starter macrumors G4

skunk

Because guys like to watch.

25. firestarter macrumors 603

firestarter

Uganda is a real basket case... some distinctly odd religion fuelled private armies in the country:

Lord's Resistance Army
    Nothing says 'Christian' like a bit of murder, abduction, mutilation and enslavement, eh?

Kampala is a really odd place... compared to the rest of East Africa there seems to be very little racial diversity - hardy any Asian people in the city following Amin's pogroms back in the 70s.