Ugh Did I Screw Up With Using A Different Upgrade?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Fazzl, Sep 14, 2012.

1. Fazzl macrumors 6502a

Fazzl

I used a family member's upgrade on our family plan for an iPhone 5 on AT&T.

We live in different states. When I get my phone, I'll have to go to AT&T or call them for them to register the new iPhone 5 sim to my number BEFORE I activate it? How does this work? Will my family member's SIM stop working and they'l have to go to the store as well?

2. jbachandouris macrumors 601

jbachandouris

I called AT&T and they said to either call or visit a store before activating the phone.

3. wknapp0924 macrumors 6502

Something similar happened to me last year. Bought the 4s on ebay to avoid signing contract, and the guy shipped the phone completely sealed. The sim was assigned to his account so switching the sim would not work. I had to goto ATT and have them call him and ask his permission and all his personal information.

Anyways long story short, Family member gives you information, you activate using their soc sec num, then take out sim card and get a new one from ATT, and family member will have to get a new sim card also since I assume they dont have an iphone 5...They were cool and gave us both sim cards for free instead of the normal $25.00.

So yes you both have to visit the ATT store, because their phone will become a brick.

4. Fazzl thread starter macrumors 6502a

Fazzl

Got it, thanks.

The question is, will AT&T have extra nano SIM cards on launch day?

5. wknapp0924 macrumors 6502

That is something only ATT can answer unfortunately... I would think so though.