Ugh...dust under my screen!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by El3ctronics, Sep 24, 2012.

1. El3ctronics macrumors 65816

Whelp, I thought I was one of the lucky ones who had a perfect iPhone 5 (AT&T, black, 32GB). No scuff marks, no rattling, no screen issues, etc. Unfortunately, as I'm browsing the web on my phone today I notice a black spot on the bottom center of the screen. Go to wipe away the mark and it doesn't move :( ...unfortunately, it's a speck of dust under the screen. If I make a genius bar appointment, I shouldn't have any trouble getting it replaced, right?

2. MarcBook macrumors 6502a

MarcBook

I've had iPhones and an iPad replaced on the spot because of dust under the glass. I was told that they have a zero-tolerance on it, so you should be fine.

Good luck!

3. El3ctronics thread starter macrumors 65816

I'm in the office but I'll try to take a pic when I get home before I get it replaced.

4. doc shivers macrumors member

are you going to exchange it for the white given scuffgate?

5. tcoche macrumors member

Honestly if it were me, I wouldnt mess with a replacement. I would fix it myself. I am going to fix my uneven home button. I ordered this...

http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewitem?itemId=330711146577

After watching these, it is going to be a few minute fix.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=UV8QsM7TTyc

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=nUEFNcu_IEE

In your situation, if you want to attempt it, I would simply pop the front off and use a bottle of compressed air pointed under that silver metal backing. ;)

Whatever you decide to do, good luck! :D

6. El3ctronics thread starter macrumors 65816

Yea I would never do it. I will continue to exchange them until I have a perfect device. I didn't pay for something with manufacturing issues.

7. bisnicks macrumors regular

He'd be much better off simply having the Genius bar swap it out. The glass, digitizer and LCD are fused together.

8. El3ctronics thread starter macrumors 65816

Anyone know if they have replacements available in the stores?

9. tcoche macrumors member

Oh ok. Makes sense. I wasn't aware the screen is fused. I was going to swap out my phone for a different one. But, I don't honestly want to mess with driving to the store, explaining a slightly uneven home button, waiting for a possible exchange, coming home and swapping everything back over and sitting here fixing my settings all over again. I just dont feel like going through all that. Top it off, my home button works fantastic. Its just an ocd thing I believe at this point, me knowing its slightly uneven.