Ugh, I can’t believe I have to switch to a PC now.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by dranakin, Apr 13, 2010.

1. dranakin macrumors 6502

I’ve been running a PowerBook G4 (mid-2004 model) for almost 6 years now, and was really hoping for a new configuration on the MBP 13 (by new, I obviously mean Arrandale processors). The fact that I can get a 15” with i5 and Blu-Ray for even less than an underpowered MBP 13 is really disappointing.

I’ve been trying to find Mac-to-PC transition websites, but it must be a laughable prospect. Not anymore for the budget minded.

Good-bye, I guess. :(

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

You're on a PowerBook G4, looking to upgrade, and lack of BluRay is the dealbreaker? Good lord....

3. TennisandMusic

I don't really care about Blu Ray, but why is what he said causing you to insult him?

Some people DO want to upgrade to specific things. If BD is one of them...then great for them?

I don't get all of this "if I don't want something, then you obviously don't need it" mindset that is WAY too common in these parts.

4. belvdr macrumors 603

It sounds like it's the processor he wanted and Blu-Ray was just a bonus. Notice he/she mentioned they wanted Arrandale.

5. Alvi macrumors 65816

Alvi

+1

I really think you would be very thankful and happy for a 13" C2C

6. ChronoIMG macrumors regular

ChronoIMG

I should be "very thankful" that Apple is so nice and willing to take more of my money for less of a machine? Drink enough kool-aid yet? Mind boggling.

7. GLDFSH macrumors newbie

I'd be amazed if the sales of the new 13inch will be in any way decent, to stick with such an old processor, stick a 'pro' label and a £999 price tag on it is laughable..who really needs 10 hours battery life anyway? It's not like carrying the charger with you is going to break your back. Gonna be getting a sony E series i5, 4gb, 500gb, blu ray, 1080p..the retail price for that is £800 I think. I'd love to see a poll on how many 13inch waiters on this forum are gonna buy one vs buy a refurb vs buy a pc

8. mrklaw macrumors 65816

on this forum? Maybe you're right. In the real world? nobody knows what 'an arrandale' is - maybe a rare breed of cattle? They'll see the apple marketing stuff with bar graphs and '50% faster' and buy it in droves. And enjoy it

9. Jaro65 macrumors 68040

Jaro65

So you haven't upgraded in 6 years, even though the 13" MBP's have been apparently selling extremely well for the last couple of years?

10. H00513R macrumors 6502a

H00513R

You still have options, but if you really want to switch back then good luck. I think you'll be missing your Mac within a week.

11. 7even macrumors 6502a

12. Rondue macrumors regular

lol

no i3 or i5 for the macbook 13.. yea i am, but i already knew apple wouldnt touch the 13s the fact that they got a video card bump was a shock to me. The guy who started this threads demands are pretty funny only because of what he is currently using.

13. iSax1234 macrumors regular

14. Sequin macrumors regular

One of the pros of switching to a Macbook for me IS the battery life. I'm tired of not being able to get through two classes without my laptop dying.

15. cderalow macrumors 6502

cderalow

Funny,

I remember when I bought my first MBP in 2006, the 5 hours of life it got then was unheard of. Now with my current MBP, I'm pissed if it doesn't get at least 5.

16. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

You waited 6 years and you're switching back to a PC because of BR? Interesting.
    I have to ask though, what's the point of the thread?

17. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

Make this a good opportunity to learn how to use Ubuntu. Dual boot and keep your personal and work stuff on the Ubuntu side. Leave Windows for games.

18. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

PM me if you have any specific questions.

The best advice I can give is:

1) don't use registry cleaners or defragers, Windows doesn't need it anymore

2) Get a CLEAN install of Windows. No bloatware pre-installed. The only anti-virus you need is MSE (microsoft.com/security_essentials)

3) iTunes WILL suck on a PC, there's no way around it.

19. dranakin thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for all the thoughts. I ended up ordering a Gateway NV5927U for $595. The tech specs are:

Processor Intel® Core™ Core i5-430M Processor1 (2.26GHz, 1066MHz FSB, 3MB L2 Cache) with Intel® Hyper-Threading Technology
    Operating System Genuine Windows® 7 Home Premium (64-bit)
    Memory 4096MB Dual-Channel DDR3 1066MHz sDRAM
    Hard Drive 320GB 5400RPM SATA hard drive
    Display 15.6" HD Widescreen Ultrabright™ LED-backlit Display (1366 x 768 resolution, 16:9 aspect ratio)
    Battery 6-Cell Lithium Ion (4400 mAh)
    Chassis Chassis with Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator HD with 128MB of dedicated system memory supporting Microsoft® and Mobile Intel® HM55 Express Chipset
    Convenience Features Gateway MyBackup Button, Touchpad Lock and Dedicated Numeric Keypad
    External Ports (4) USB 2.0, VGA Port, HDMI™ Port
    Keyboard and Mouse Full-Size Keyboard with Multi-gesture Touchpad
    Media Card Reader Multi-in-1 Digital Media Card Reader (Memory Stick™, Memory Stick™ Pro, Multi Media Card™, Secure Digital™, xD-Picture Card™)
    Modem 56K ITU V.92 ready Fax/Modem (RJ-11 port)
    Network 10/100/1000 Gigabit Ethernet LAN (RJ-45 port)
    Optical Drive 4X Blu-ray Disc™/DVD-Super Multi double-layer drive
    Sound High-Definition Audio Support, Built-In speakers, Microphone, headphone/Speaker/Line-Out Jack with S/PDIF support
    Warranty 1 Year Parts and Labor Limited Warranty
    Web Camera Built-In Webcam
    Wireless Network 802.11b/g/Draft-N Wi-Fi CERTIFIED™

I know it won't last as long as my PB G4 (6 years!), but hopefully I'll be happy enough. I've waited long enough. Take care, all.

20. pastparticiple macrumors regular

Man it is so frustrating to see how much you can get for so much cheaper. I don't see the MBP being worth 4 times as much. Double? Sure I would pay that for the OS and track pad but 4x? Won't do it.

21. cys920622 macrumors member

Hah, this is very true. Especially when you're plugging/unplugging your iPod, etc. and syncing... oh the horror...

22. kmaute macrumors 6502

kmaute

Don't let the door hit you in the butt. Enjoy windows. I'll have a laugh at your expense.

ETA: Just noticed the RJ-11 port. I can see why you were "wowed". Sweet.

23. cys920622 macrumors member

Lol, oh, the Mac community... so harsh on deserters.

24. crhudy1985 macrumors regular

I could care less about the "pro" label. I just want it to be unibody aluminum and a mac considering the last pc I bought only lasted me 15 months. And carrying a charger is not always the answer when you are places without outlets (like planes).

25. o'malley macrumors newbie

fixed ;)