*ugh* my 17" MBP 2008 only has 1.5 Gigabit SATA only too :-(

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by sparkie7, Jun 14, 2009.

1. sparkie7 macrumors 68000

sparkie7

With all these 13 & 15" MBP SATA threads I decided to check my 17" BTO SSD MBP from Oct last year. (Last of the classic 17"s, a MacBook Pro 4,1). It was a BTO with 128 SSD from Apple store. I know its not the latest UMBP but still I would have thought Apple would have shipped my custom order with 3.0GB SATA since I ordered it with their SSD drive option.

I feel ripped off and shafted.

2. Thiol macrumors 6502a

Thiol

All non-unibody MBPs have SATA I. SATA II didn't appear in Apple Laptops until the unibody MBs and MBPs.

3. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

It has obviously made no difference to you over the last 9 months, why get bothered about it now?

4. neiltc13 macrumors 68040

neiltc13

Look on the bright side - you got a great looking machine. People who buy a MacBook Pro today have to put up with one of the ugliest designs Apple has ever shipped.

5. harcosparky macrumors 68020

This is what gets me. They buy a new Macbook 6 months ago and LOVE IT.

Go back and look at their " Got My New Notebook And Love It " posts.

Now all of a sudden an update is released and they complain about how the notebook they bought and love last year sucks.

:lol:

What's up with that ??????? :confused:

6. MyDesktopBroke macrumors 6502

To each his or her own. I found the previously MBP to look like a Fisher-Price play thing, and the keyboard was pretty hideous.

You can back up various reasons why Apple's current line up is lacking hardware wise, but I think you are in the minority if you try to say Apple makes ugly products, especially now that they have a unified aluminum them which so many people like.

7. John89 macrumors regular

Why didnt you post this in the thread where everyone is already talking about this?

Exactly.

8. Qartin macrumors newbie

I think the current mbp's are a nice sleek design.

I did not like the old ones where they have all silver around the screen.

9. sparkie7 thread starter macrumors 68000

sparkie7

ok, are you sure? Looks like you might have the same model machine by looking at your sig..

MacBookPro4,1, Intel Core 2 Duo 2.6 GHz

10. aprofetto macrumors 6502a

aprofetto

I love when people think their opinions are fact.

11. aleksandra. macrumors 6502a

Before October 14, 2008, all Mac notebooks used Intel motherboards with SATA 1.5 Gb/s. SATA 3 Gb/s only appeared with nVidia chipsets last year. Also it will make no difference to you with your current drive, the SSDs Apple ships with their laptops aren't speedy enough for this.

12. Higgs1 macrumors 6502

Higgs1

yea i agree, the uMBP's are some of the sexiest laptops i've ever seen, they are streamlined & refined, yet drop dead gorgeous, apple can design the hell outta a product, that is for sure (aside from that weird chode ipod nano.....wtf were they thinking with that? LOL)

13. PolySciSurfer macrumors 6502

I think the TiBook was the best looking apple laptop ever made. But the new unibodies come very close if not exceeding that design. Plus the TiBook had problems with paint chipping and hinges breaking. These new ones are stellar IMHO. :D

14. Unprocessed1 macrumors 65816

Unprocessed1

How subjective. The old MBP also has a far inferior screen.

To be fair, you haven't noticed almost a year after the fact? Why get upset about it?

15. sparkie7 thread starter macrumors 68000

sparkie7

i don't think my 9 month old classic MBP "sucks". Just that Apple suck - not putting a 3.0 SATA with my BTO SSD.

16. Battlefield Fan macrumors 65816

Battlefield Fan

wow.

Ok first off as others are saying you haven't even noticed the fact that your mbp has SATA 1.5.

Secondly that was the current standard for mbp's at the time so its not like this case where the late '08 mbps had SATA 3.0 and then quietly switched over to the old interface again.

Thirdly the ssd that you bought from apple is so crappy and slow. Don't forget the stuttering issues. I am dumb founded as to why you would spend that much money on an SSD and not do any research on it. Clearly if you did do research you would have found numerous threads talking about how crappy the apple ssd's are.

Lastly do not ever post another thread.

17. Battlefield Fan macrumors 65816

Battlefield Fan

ok first off apple couldn't just add the SATA 3.0 interface just because you ordered the SSD. The SATA controller is built into the mother board.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serial_ATA

please at least read the wiki article before you ever post again.

18. spaceboots06 macrumors 6502a

spaceboots06

You're kidding, right?

Cancer doesn't influence someone's life until they find out about it, just like the difference SATA I/ SATA II hard drives! Except one situation is slightly more serious... you make the decision which one is more serious.

19. sparkie7 thread starter macrumors 68000

sparkie7

it started me thinking why my XBench results were so crap after I got my Mac Pro with 250GB Vertex SSD. The benches were worlds apart.

I was too busy to investigate, I just thought the "Apple SSD" was not that fast. But now its clear. Not only is it a average-slow SSD in my CMBP but also b/c Apple halved the SATA speed effectively. So it restricts the potential of upgrading my machine to a faster spec SSD

Apart from this, I pretty much still love everything about my classic MBP :D

20. Smacky macrumors 6502

lol even my mac mini has 3gb sata, and it was a lot cheaper than a 17" mbp thats for sure

21. Battlefield Fan macrumors 65816

Battlefield Fan

Ok the apple ssd is so slow and crappy that it doesnt exceed the SATA 1.5 speed limit. If you would read the article on the front page then you would realize that you need a FAST SSD to push past the SATA 1.5 limit.

22. sparkie7 thread starter macrumors 68000

sparkie7

1. yes i did notice it was slower in Jan of this year vs my Mac Pro

2. If thats true, then fair enough

3. At the time I ordered my 17 BTO, the SSD option was so new no one could have reported on any issues

So are you now the Queen of the internet forums? Get a grip

Like I said, the SSD with the BTO option was so new no one new if it was "slow" and "crappy"

23. Battlefield Fan macrumors 65816

Battlefield Fan

At least I dont make uninformed purchases. Expesially ones that cost thousands of dollars. Thats what you get for buying a newly released product.

That makes you the guinea pig.

24. Unprocessed1 macrumors 65816

Unprocessed1

Jeez, had a bad couple of years lately? Calm it down.

25. Music_Producer macrumors 68000

:confused: What are the specs of your mac pro? If Apple has made a MBP that could beat the current line of MPs let me know - I would love to ditch my MP and get this new MBP!