Ugh. What fantastic speed. Not!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jenni122701, May 9, 2013.

1. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

Sorry, I'm not clear what point you are making, aside from the fact that your ISP is not too terrific, and your Ping indicates you are a pretty good distance from your server.

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Those speeds are the average for Sprint's 3G network.

3. jenni122701 thread starter macrumors regular

jenni122701

Actually I usually get a good bit more speed than that from my 3G. And I'm right in the city today, usually I'm much farther out.

4. coolio93 macrumors 6502

Sprint sucks. Everyone knows that....Even their LTE is mediocre at best from my experience in Houston.

However, I do give them credit for trying to become better with their network vision project. Even though its lightyears behind schedule......

5. CEmajr macrumors 601

This is typical of Sprint. No surprise. Comparable to AT&T and T-Mobile 2G/EDGE speeds. That's the norm here in Charlotte for Sprint.

6. ValerieDurden macrumors 6502a

Pretty good for me (inside my house, outside I get get around 2.6Mbps), with LTE where available I can get up to around 30Mbps.

Attached Files:

7. gmanist1000 macrumors 68030

gmanist1000

8. macfish macrumors newbie

macfish

My average speed here in toronto is 40mb down 22mb up on LTE. The attached image is from October before I switched carriers. I have had as high as 62mb down and 35 up on a couple occasions a block or so from a big tower.

Attached Files:

9. coolio93 macrumors 6502

On Sprint ? this makes no sense because the LTE that sprint is deploying currently is only capable of a max theoretical speed of like 37mbps

10. Akack macrumors 6502a

It's been well complained from Sprint customers their 3G speeds are pathetic.

11. PsstGreek macrumors 68040

PsstGreek

12. macfish macrumors newbie

macfish

sorry, I injected some Canadian (Toronto) wireless bragging.... I'm not on Sprint. I'm on Koodo(Telus). We are getting an LTE speed boost to 150mb over the next few months, not that my iPhone will be able to get those speeds.

The thread didn't say it was Sprint specific but should have seen most comments were Sprint biased.

13. Diseal3 macrumors 65816

He said Toronto he's on Rogers.

14. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

I think sprint has the most to fear from tmobiles new offering...

15. E2EK1EL macrumors 6502

Attached Files:

16. E2EK1EL macrumors 6502

Back to the topic, this is the best I've seen of Sprint

Attached Files:

17. jenni122701, May 10, 2013
    Last edited: May 10, 2013

jenni122701 thread starter macrumors regular

jenni122701

Switching carriers isn't an option for me right now. I wish it were. I'm always hoping Sprint will improve, but maybe when my contract is up I can figure something out. That's a long while though. Some of you have fantastic speeds! At least at home I got my wifi, but sometimes my iPhone wont work right with my home connection, I never have that issue with my iPad. Luckily right now it's ok.

Attached Files:

18. coolio93 macrumors 6502

Oops. I missed that part lol. Sorry.

19. aristobrat macrumors G4

Sprint just rolled out LTE where I live (VA's largest city) and it's consistently 2-3x faster than Verizon's LTE.

Verizon was the first to roll out LTE here a little over two years ago, and it's done nothing but decrease in speed since then. :/

Getting anything over 5 Mbps around here on Verizon is like winning the lottery. Certainly possible, but the odds are totally against you. Meanwhile, AT&T and Sprint routinely clock in at 20+ Mbps.

Attached Files:

20. pilot1226 macrumors 6502a

pilot1226

I agree with the original post. The speeds on 3G are pretty dismal on a good day. No LTE here yet. If it's not up by the time my contract expires, I'm leaving.

21. rockitdog macrumors 68020

I can't understand the logic of staying with a mediocre company like Dupont when they're speeds are so awful and you're paying they're "premium" data charge! You're being robbed by stuffing with them.

22. MsRandall macrumors 6502a

MsRandall

Many of Sprint customers are in holding patterns so I doubt The towers are in demand for LTE yet....after Sprint customers start to buy more LTE devices they will see a slower speed too.

Those speeds are very slow for Verizon I average about 16- 18 Mbps in the SF area

23. rockitdog macrumors 68020

I find it funny how many people have been waiting for Sprint to improve their 3G service (which is never improved) and now those very same people are waiting for LTE to come along and save them... my guess is that like the wait for usable 3G, they'll keep waiting for something that isn't going to come or that is a major dissappointment when it does finally come.

24. CEmajr macrumors 601

I just don't understand the attraction of Sprint to some people. Their 3G is akin to 2G/EDGE on AT&T/T-Mobile, they're moving extremely slow with their LTE rollout, and they're CDMA. Even once they finally get some LTE is all major cities, there will still be that horrible "3G" network to fall back on. It could very well be 2015 before they are a viable network with consistently decent data speeds.

T-Mobile has taken their pricing and unlimited data advantage away from them. They also have similar coverage but have a much stronger 3G network to fallback on when not on LTE and are GSM.

Then for those who don't mind paying more, AT&T/Verizon just totally blow them away in all respects.

I know it's all YMMV with any carrier but every single person I know that has Sprint has nothing but complaints about the service and data speeds. It boggles my mind how they are even the 3rd place carrier. It must be because of the subscriber base they had in place prior to the smartphone age. Hopefully the Softbank buyout occurs and gives them a much needed cash infusion to improve their network. As of right now they are the only carrier of the big 4 that I would not go to with a smartphone.