Ughh I need help... opinions please

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ohdarling, Jun 14, 2012.

1. ohdarling macrumors newbie

I need a new phone for work and there is really no way to wait it out any longer. I am going to be going with Verizon(for work...hoping it is better than AT&T) I had the iPhone 4 last year and loved it, but ended up getting rid of it(long story). I have been hoping that they were going to be releasing a new iPhone, but just can't wait any longer.

I am tempted to just get the 4 because it is such a great deal at $49. I loved the 4 when I did have it. Is this just a huge mistake? I know the 4s is suppose to be a lot better. I think the idea of Siri is cool, but I don't know if an extra $150 is worth it. Also I will be using it to take pics and I have heard the 4s is a lot better of a camera. I am hoping to upgrade when the new iphone is released oh course. I am also hoping that Verizon is going to everyone upgrade early....which I know is probably nothing more than foolish wishing :p

2. DeaconGraves macrumors 65816

DeaconGraves

You should be aware, that, in addition to no Siri, the iPhone 4 will not have turn-by-turn navigation or 3G facetime once iOS 6 comes out this fall.

I would also not hold my breath on getting an early upgrade. Verizon has pretty much done away with that if I recall, and even if they did for some reason bump up the upgrade date for old iphone users, they likely wouldn't do it for someone that has been under contract for only about 4 months.

If you absolutely cannot wait any longer, I would go with the 4S. It will get you the most bang for your buck for the longest period of time.

3. ohdarling thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks :) turn by turn navigation is pretty important to me. I really miss my EVO for that reason. I don't think I would be upset with the 4S and it could tide me over for 1-2 years honestly. I am in the camp of NOT wanting the iphone to get bigger. I the new one was bigger I probably wouldn't want to upgrade anyone. I had the EVO and I liked it but it was just too big overall....I have a iPad if I need a bigger screen.

4. voodoopenguin macrumors newbie

I'd go with the 4S. And if you do want the new iphone when it comes out, you could sell your 4S on ebay or craigslist and use the money you get from that to buy the iphone at full price.

But really, it's a great phone. It may have the same form factor as the 4, but it is a complete overhauled upgrade. It will last you as long as you take care of it. Good luck with your purchase!

5. sentinelsx macrumors 68010

4S will get all the iOS 6 features. 4 will not.

My iPhone 4 lags when opening apps and during long IM convos/more than 2 apps open at same time. It annoys me a lot and apps tend to crash quite a bit nowadays.

Get the 4S. You will be far better off.

6. Wrathwitch macrumors 65816

Just to offer a counter opinion on iP4. Mine rarely if ever has app crashes, takes excellent pictures and is a reliable device and phone.

However, if you are looking for longevity, going newer is ALWAYS best, I always tend to regret "settling" for something that meets "most" of my needs.

7. KJmoon117 macrumors 6502a

What about buying a used ****** phone and then buying the iP5 at a subsidized price?

By bringing your own used phone to Verizon, you wouldn't be signing a contract... I don't think. Plus, you'll get the iP5 at a discounted price and.. hey. it's LTE :D

8. sentinelsx macrumors 68010

I agree with pictures. The camera is excellent. The 4S is definitely better but this camera still stuns me sometimes. Love it.

It is also reliable. My point was that it is no longer the smooth sailing powerhouse it used to be before. It feels like an aged sports car now :p.

The app crashes also depends on what you run. Most high end games crash at least once a week on me nowadays. MC3 actually does way more for some reason, 2 out of 3 times it will crash at start no matter what. Safari tends to do the same if i somehow tap on something too fast while it is loading something.