Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
I don't even understand what's happening in this pic? Is this a screen shot from The Mist?
It’s likely fog. Where I live it’s almost a daily occurrence during the winter and in fact we had it during the snowfall here last week.

912b18ab7bd3a91ab23a87fcc9338f34.jpg

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
It’s likely fog. Where I live it’s almost a daily occurrence during the winter and in fact we had it during the snowfall here last week.

912b18ab7bd3a91ab23a87fcc9338f34.jpg

Oh, I know, hahahaha, I was just messing around since it's not something we experience (snow that is, fog, yeah, and usually with pirate ghosts ...)

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
Fog? Ha ha, no. It’s snow and blowing snow. Near white out conditions.

Yeah, we tried to beat a storm once headed up to PA, got a room while on the road - got caught in it just as we got near the exit, scary stuff, I just pushed on for about 10 minutes, found the hotel, got the hell off the road. o_O

Reactions: Gutwrench

Gutwrench

Suspended
Jan 2, 2011
It’s much easier driving in this area of Minnesota than farther south in Iowa. Iowa has much worse road conditions. It’s a piece of cake here.

Cancelled
Sep 10, 2009
And I thought I was nuts for the driving I've undertaken in snowy weather. Can you even breathe in those conditions if you were outside walking... like a madman?

LizKat

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains
A day ago the storm was going out to sea. Now it’s going to hit Tuesday.

Yeah, so much for trying to time a parcel delivery that could land here without my having to re-shovel pathways from the driveways to the deck all the time. I figured Tuesday looked good. Now we're supposed to have six inches of snow Mon-Tues. :rolleyes:

With really good luck NOAA will revise the forecast one more time and we'll be back to a dusting. I refuse to look at the guesstimates any more until tomorrow afternoon. :p

Cancelled
Sep 10, 2009
If there are any farms up there, you could say they'll get a crop dusting.

I'll see myself out.

LizKat

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains
If there are any farms up there, you could say they'll get a crop dusting.

I'll see myself out.

I'm a farmer's in-law and I'd say we're close to getting some whole new glacial moraines around here just in our driveways... one hopes the ski slopes to the southeast of us are having a good season for a change. Hope they spend it on apples and milk and produce from our county later on, assuming we can keep digging out to get the related chores done.

Cancelled
Sep 10, 2009
I'm a farmer's in-law and I'd say we're close to getting some whole new glacial moraines around here just in our driveways... one hopes the ski slopes to the southeast of us are having a good season for a change. Hope they spend it on apples and milk and produce from our county later on, assuming we can keep digging out to get the related chores done.
Do they offer freshly made apple pie with ice cream? There's a few apple orchards upstate near the Oregon border, I believe, that do. Layered with salted caramel sauce. It was one of the first road trips we did after getting married. Great to your see spouse's shocked expression as you demolish half a pie. :p

millerj123

macrumors 68030
Mar 6, 2008
Ugh! At 60 degrees this morning, I put on gloves for my morning run, but 1 mile in, they had to come off. It’s climbed to about 75 degrees now so no coats for sure.

I have nothing but sympathy for anyone in real winter weather.

LizKat

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains
Ugh! At 60 degrees this morning, I put on gloves for my morning run, but 1 mile in, they had to come off. It’s climbed to about 75 degrees now so no coats for sure.

I have nothing but sympathy for anyone in real winter weather.

Heh, yet still you post about enduring a 75 degree day... :D right here we'd settle for 45!

Sympathy's probably best saved for the coastal areas of Massachusetts, or up in the North Country of NYS, they are going to get the snow hammer from this latest nor'easter. Still, I must have painted the devil on the wall with my previous remark about NOAA revising the forecast for the Catskills. They have done so, but not in the direction I expected... now they're saying we'll have not seven but ten inches of new snowfall by Wednesday.

That groundhog didn't lie when he said six more weeks of winter. He may have understated the case.

Reactions: 0388631

Cancelled
Sep 10, 2009
I'm sure said groundhog is frozen stuff or the locals have cooked the little bugger. I read you guys are getting another Nor'Easter later this week? The weather was somewhat beautiful today. Cloudy skies disappeared around 8 AM and the sun came out despite the air temperature being cold. It didn't warm up until around 1-2 PM and then quickly chilled over in the hours following.

On the bright side, the rains were clean enough to wash my car from the dust that had accumulated on it. I may or may not have gone out there under the rain and used a soap solution with two buckets.

Best not to give an excuse to some of my newer age neighbors to whinge about my water use. Meanwhile, they drive SUVs that are more thirsty than mine.

In all seriousness, we've always been pretty serious about collecting clean rain water when it did rain and using a chemical system to keep said water clean until summer and then aerating it to get rid of the chemicals. It was gray area borderline illegal up until a few years ago. I've brought this up before and commented on it, and I'll do so again. In the years prior, the state could kiss my bum.

We've gotten enough steady rain this year to top off just about all our catch units. Which surprised me to be honest. Compare this to last year when they flooded over because of the rain we had that came in huge downpours.

I'm waiting until the rains stop so I can add in the chemicals so it becomes "stable" until summer. It'd be nice if we could catch the nighttime moisture. With all the sea air coming in overnight, it would mean a lot of water.

Last edited:

LizKat

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains
So this is how spring comes to the Atlantic Coast nowadays. Another snowstorm!

I got news for this guy on Long Island. Even dogs maybe had enough snow with the fourth nor'easter in three weeks... can't imagine the downstate commutes today and tomorrow, glad to be way up in the boondocks and just a snow spectator for a change... but I gotta say his dogs are cute in their jackets.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I'm so pissed.

So earlier this week, the weathermen were focasting a major snow storm for us yet again (4th one in 4 weeks), and estimates topped 12 inches for boston. It was supposed to hit Tuesday, and so my whole team at work, didn't come into the office but worked from home due to the impending storm, but it didn't arrive. Now it was supposed to hit Wedneday night to Thursday morning, with less snow. My town issued a parking ban at 6:00pm (several hours before the storm), there by hurting local businesses, and of course school was called off.

Woke up to coating, if that. We've had such a snowy winter, and the last thing my kids needed was a useless snow day as they're facing possible saturday classes or a shortened April vacation. The thing that burns me the most is that they called off school last night before a flake fell, and even then the projected accumulations were dropping. Why not wait till 4:00am and make a determination?

Cancelled
Sep 10, 2009
I'm so pissed.

So earlier this week, the weathermen were focasting a major snow storm for us yet again (4th one in 4 weeks), and estimates topped 12 inches for boston. It was supposed to hit Tuesday, and so my whole team at work, didn't come into the office but worked from home due to the impending storm, but it didn't arrive. Now it was supposed to hit Wedneday night to Thursday morning, with less snow. My town issued a parking ban at 6:00pm (several hours before the storm), there by hurting local businesses, and of course school was called off.

Woke up to coating, if that. We've had such a snowy winter, and the last thing my kids needed was a useless snow day as they're facing possible saturday classes or a shortened April vacation. The thing that burns me the most is that they called off school last night before a flake fell, and even then the projected accumulations were dropping. Why not wait till 4:00am and make a determination?
Yeesh. What is a snow ban?

I think this year has been the first year the area schools have even issued days off because of the immense rain. Which is both funny and stupid considering it's just rain. Albeit, a lot of it. It's not dangerous by any stretch of the imagination, but I suppose moving forward, even schools are wanting to lessen their legal liability. We only found out after talking to some of our neighbors with school-aged kids during the eye of our current storm. Or rather the panoptes of the storm.

Though this year's storm system is certainly weaker than last year's and less concentrated. It's been more spread out, however, it doesn't do any favors for burn areas.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Yeesh. What is a snow ban?
No parking on the street. That way the plows can get through our narrow streets and plow them. The problem is that directly impacts the local businesses as they basically have to close shop since no one can park (there's almost no municipal parking in my town). I understand why they call the ban on parking, but why do that like 4 plus hours before the storm?

Lioness~

macrumors 68030
Apr 26, 2017
Mars
Snow...this winter has been horrible.
Usually spring comes almost ~a month ago now.

But one day snow falls heavily in end of March.
Then sun shines brightly, and I’m cleaning off things outside.
Spring in the air...
Next day massive snow again.
I hate this :mad:

LizKat

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains
Maybe the thread title should have been "Uh it's cold and going to stay that way until summer."

From our forecast discussion this evening...

One thing we`re fairly confident in is that temperatures will
continue to run below normal
for late March into early April.
Daily highs will generally range from the 30s-mid 40s, with
overnight lows mostly in the 20s.
Well I won't be the only one disappointed. I saw the first robin of the season this evening just before dusk. He was out there scrabbling around under the spruce tree hoping to find a snack. Hope he found something, because it sounds like by morning we'll have some snow or freezing rain.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.