Uh, it’s cold.

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by smallcoffee, Dec 28, 2017.

1. Zenithal macrumors 604

Dropping to a nice chilly 38-42* tonight. Lovely.

To repeat @decafjava's words in another thread, I shouldn't have to wear a sweater or wear my heavy wool top coat this time of year. Weather geniuses presume this cold weather will last into June. Not that I'm a fan of the heat, but still, beats the sucking in of cold air every morning when I go out to get the paper.

On the other hand, at least I'm making good use of dried out firewood I had delivered. Barely used anything during November and December. Though it might be fruitful to explore using up some old basil seeds that may still be viable. No idea of the total count. It's a little over a quarter pound of seeds.

2. LizKat macrumors 601

LizKat

We had summer today. 75 degrees... tomorrow and Wednesday back to winter? In the 40s.

3. Zenithal macrumors 604

That's a summer I could get behind, Liz. At least we've transitioned from the hailing period here. Though we did get some minor snow fall this year, which was more of a freak weather incident. Though it has snowed here once or twice in the past 100 years.

4. LizKat macrumors 601

LizKat

The question about a summer like the one I described though is "Is that all there is?" :rolleyes: If that's the case all we got = a couple tornado warnings when the fronts were colliding, and a nice warm breeze for 18 hours after that.

I'm not putting any frost-sensitive annuals out there yet. I've been that stupid before (in my youth) but I did read that little wooden plaque in my grandmother's kitchen "Ve get too soon oldt and too late schmart" at an early enough age that I got it, and I haven't set out tender annuals until at least mid June, our mean last frost date is still around then.

5. Zenithal macrumors 604

I had to cover a lot of plant and tree grounds with tarp to trap some heat during the day. The greenhouse I have is stuffed with plants I'd normally set out by this time of year so they can acclimate. I'm trying to figure out how to germinate maybe a few hundred basil seeds I've got that are old but probably still viable. Honestly, my best guess is they're not all one variety because I bought a bunch and mixed them up when I was rearranging things a couple years back. I bought them in bulk from Eden Brothers, or a similar site about five or six years ago. They germinated last year so I'm sure they're good enough now.

We had some really hot periods in between the cold that caused roses and other flowers to bloom and be fertilized by insects and wind. They're covered with small bags now and slowly drying out so I can collect the seeds.

It's going to be tricky to germinate them if this weather holds up well into summer. I don't think the stratification temps will be much different than ambient.

6. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Winter ain’t over yet! Got a couple of inches of snow on the ground with more coming. Several schools and churches are on a 2 hour delay for 5/21.

7. Zenithal macrumors 604

On the flip side, your lawn is going to look amazing come summer time.

8. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

The lawn may look good, but it is taking a toll on trees and plants. There is now 7 inches of snow on the ground and it is a heavy wet snow. Lots of trees bent over from the weight in addition to broken branches.

9. SDColorado Contributor

SDColorado

Yes, we took a push broom to ours and knocked the heavy snow off the branches that we could reach. Hoping none break from the weight.

Edit: so much for the hope, I do see some broken :(

10. Zenithal macrumors 604

That's nature's way of saying "here's some good firewood."

11. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

My son's high school cancelled finals due to the weather and graduation being so close. Been in Colorado since 2005, and have never seen such heavy snow so late in the year.

12. SDColorado Contributor

SDColorado

Yeah, I have been here since I think ‘86, and I can’t recall a snow like that in my time. Apparently it was the biggest late May snow in 44 years.

We have had some early May snows like this one from May 10, 2015.....

[​IMG]

But I believe last year we were done on April 28 or 29? Mostly I think we are done by the 3rd week of April

13. Zenithal macrumors 604

Imagine it keeps up and we'll be in the middle of June with you two still getting snow. :eek:

14. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I hope not.

15. SDColorado Contributor

SDColorado

Not this weekend at least, temps for the next 4 days will be 70, 74, 77 and 70. Happy Memorial Day weekend!

16. Zenithal macrumors 604

Just have the kids shovel the snow. :p

17. Zenithal macrumors 604

Looks like a day of rain on Sunday. Wonderful...

18. SDColorado Contributor

SDColorado