Uh oh....... ( dropped my 6S+ yesterday morning. )

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by CrAkD, Aug 13, 2016.

1. CrAkD macrumors 68040

CrAkD

so I dropped my 6S+ yesterday morning. Didn't notice till last night there is a tiny crack along the left bezel down by the home button. Hardly noticeable.

I upgrade every year and I sell off the current phone usually in flawless condition. So now not that we are almost halfway through August now I break it :mad:

My question is what would you do? Pay apple to replace it? Replace it yourself? Sell it as is and take a hit? If I replace it myself do I have to tell the buyer? Will it void the warranty? I watched a video on it and it seems
    Pretty straight forward. Just curious on what I should do.

2. AMTYVLE macrumors 6502

AMTYVLE

I know exactly how you feel. I upgraded to the 6s Plus last week because I'm not impressed with the upcoming iPhone and my 6 Plus had problems. Today, my one week old iPhone fell in CARPET and now the corner is dented. I can scream. I swear these phones are made out of pepsi cans.

So I don't know what to do either.

3. AppleFan91 macrumors 65816

AppleFan91

IMG_0482.PNG

But yeah, sadly I'd bite the bullet and fix it for maximum resale value

4. eyoungren macrumors Core

eyoungren

Keep it?

That's what we do with our phones every 2.5 to 3.5 years. We buy our new phones with a portion of our tax refund. The old phones become media devices and are available to give off to anyone we know who needs a phone.

5. CrAkD thread starter macrumors 68040

CrAkD

I used to pride myself in having really good luck. My girlfriend has broken her iPhone 6 screen like 3x. This is the first time I've ever broken a screen.

6. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

I feel you have a moral obligation to tell a buyer if you replace a screen (or a third party does). Because, yes, that voids your warranty. Further, Apple has been said to refuse even paid repair services on phones with third party components. An Apple replacement doesn't need to be mentioned IMO.

But honestly, as minor as you've made this sound, it probably wouldn't effect the resale value to warrant a full replacement. As it stands you can get $50 off the Apple care back (not so if you've used and replacements). The screen replacement is a $75(?) deductible iirc, so you'd neee to gain over $120 in resale value to make that option worth it.

7. BLUEBLASTER macrumors regular

BLUEBLASTER

I see so many people with iPhone's who don't have a case and it drives me mad. The phone will get some damaged without being in a case and worse cast you drop it and the screen smashes. So why not just buy a case to prevent this. Plus you can sell it for more when you upgrade.

8. Relentless Power macrumors Core

Relentless Power

Repair it. Re-sell it. Also being a 6s Plus, it's a flag ship Phone. If it were an older mod, I would have sold it.

9. CrAkD thread starter macrumors 68040

CrAkD

It was was in a mophie juicepack it wasn't naked.

I don't have apple care so it's $149 to repair.

10. noobinator macrumors 603

noobinator

I'd probably just advertise as is and see what it sells for. If you are getting offers of less than $150 what a non cracked one is then fix it at Apple.

But yes, if you or a third party fixes it you should tell the buyer.

11. Rob198612 macrumors 6502

at times if its not that bad apple will replace the screen for free. go to apple store and see if they will do the screen replacement free of charge

12. silverblack macrumors 68030

silverblack

^^^ This is what I would do too.

13. itsray macrumors 6502

they only do it if its a hairline crack for free.
    --- Post Merged, Aug 13, 2016 ---
    take a picture of it.

14. ARizz44 macrumors 6502a

ARizz44

My suggestion is to price out what it would take to repair it. From there, go to Swappa (my preferred place to sell and buy used phones) and see what you can expect to get in mint condition vs the condition it is in. If you would benefit from repairing it, then that is your answer. If the cost of fixing does not justify what you can still make selling it as is.....don't waste the time/effort/money and sell as is. You can get a pretty good feel for the numbers by going and looking at the competition.

15. mhoepfin macrumors regular

If it is a hairline crack (as opposed to a spiderweb like crack) and there is no case damage they will replace the screen for free. It happened to me.

16. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

So one of your options is to sell it and not tell the buyer it is damaged? Nice.

17. Rob198612 macrumors 6502

my wifes phone had a hairline crack and yes it was replaced for free the screen.

my mother in laws phone had more than a hairline but since it was very small they also replaced it for free.

maybe it depends on the person? and store?

18. CrAkD thread starter macrumors 68040

CrAkD

--- Post Merged, Aug 14, 2016 ---
    No. reading comprehension bro. I said if I replaced the screen myself and everything was perfect do I have to tell they buyer the screen was replaced? Obviously not advertise it as flawless with a crack in the screen .

Attached Files:

19. Ledsteplin macrumors 6502a

Ledsteplin

I dropped my 6s Plus face down on a tile floor over concrete slab. No damage whatsoever. No scratches, dents or cracks. It was in an Otterbox Commuter. No protective screen.

20. CrAkD thread starter macrumors 68040

CrAkD

I've dropped this one a bunch of times never any damage one time from above my head. This time it slipped out of my hand waist high onto a tile floor

21. Rob198612 macrumors 6502

go to apple they will replace the screen for free its a small crack.

22. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

blame your user name for your bad luck. :p

23. DarkExistence Suspended

DarkExistence

id say just sell it and take the hit. Best bet really. Replacing yourself would void the warranty and would just lower the resale value even more then it would be if you just sold it with a small crack which isn't very noticeable.

24. LoveToMacRumors macrumors 68020

LoveToMacRumors

I'm not surprised, an Otterbox is an Otterbox..

25. nburwell macrumors 68040

nburwell

@CrAkD my fiancée has an identical crack on her 6. She is not bothered by it at all (she's also been to the Apple Store twice already to repair damaged screen).

I would have Apple repair it since I'm sure it's still under warranty. If you repair it yourself, you run the risk of voiding the remaining warranty on the phone if the person you sell it to takes it to Apple to get repaired.

Or if you don't mind selling the device for much less than if it were flawless, you can sell the phone as is.