Uh oh... meatball sauce stain on nice white shorts!

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by BreakGuy, Jan 19, 2012.

1. BreakGuy macrumors 6502a

BreakGuy

I was devouring a Subway meatball footlong earlier and happened to get some of that delicious marinara sauce on my new, bright white cotton shorts. :mad:

Immediately, I took the shorts off (put some other ones on) and tried to dab the stain out. When that didn't work I added some pre wash stain remover to the stain and threw them in the wash. That didn't work either. So I tried to soak them in cool - warm water mixed with laundry powder for a few hours and that hasn't worked either?

What are my options? How do I get stubborn orange sauce stains out of my nice white shorts?

2. TwistedPain macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

You said they are white shorts? How about some bleach?

3. Mr Kram macrumors 68000

Mr Kram

yup. bleach. oxy clean works pretty good too.

4. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

The very first thing you should have done was to take a cloth, dip it in club soda, and rub it on the stain. That keeps the stain from setting. Then when you washed it, it most likely would have come out.

Unfortunately, you're left with bleach as your only option now, as the above poster mentioned. The bad part about bleach is that it can yellow the clothing. Good luck!

5. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

The same way you'd get it off of your dishes - use dishwashing detergent.

My wife keeps some uncolored dishwashing detergent around for emergencies such as this (between me and my 7-year-old son, she's gotten really good at spot removing). Works better than anything I've ever seen.

The caveat is that it really only works on FOOD stains.

6. Mousse macrumors 68000

Mousse

I don't trust bleach. It also damages your clothes (noticeable over time) in the process. I'd go the Oxyclean route. Soak it over night, scrub, rinse and repeat if necessary. Then wash.

Or if you're lucky enough to be married like me...
    [​IMG]

7. renewed macrumors 68040

renewed

OxyClean spray or the nub works wonders. Let it sit 10 minutes. Then wash it in the warmest water you can for the material. Throw some bleach in there with a little bit of laundry detergent (Tide is my suggestion) and should be alright.

Sources: I have white shorts myself and have had many a stain opportunity arise.

8. wntrdove macrumors newbie

Dawn dish washing liquid has saved many a shirt for me. I don't even bother with stain remover anymore.

9. BreakGuy thread starter macrumors 6502a

BreakGuy

Looks like I'll try the dishwashing liquid route. Does it have to specifically be clear dishwashing liquid?

10. MovieCutter macrumors 68040

MovieCutter

Don't wear white shorts while eating a meatball sub?

Or more importantly...don't wear white shorts?

11. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

It could stain, particularly if it's something blue-ish. I'd try something yellow-ish or clear, if you have it.