Uh-Oh... Palin is a Mocha-Sipper

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by mactastic, Oct 7, 2008.

1. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

In her latest gaffe, Palin pulled off a two-fer. First, she misquoted Madeline Albright. Second, she admitted that she drinks mochas from Starbucks. The mocha, as we all know, is a chocolaty variant of the dreaded liberal latte.

But of course, IOKIYAR, right?

If Obama had been caught with said mocha in his hand, the right-wing wurlitzer would have had a field day with comments about "latte-sippers" and no end of commentary about how removed he is from the common man. Hell, they've lambasted him for eating arugula, and drinking orange juice, so it's hardly a stretch to imagine that Limbaugh and others would be pouncing all over this story if the subject weren't a Republican.

Yet Palin can drink mochas with impunity. Such is the state of our political discourse.

Not to mention that she twisted the Albright quote around to make it sound like women who didn't vote for her were literally going to go to hell.

2. Dmac77 macrumors 68020

Dmac77

And how is this a relevant issue? So what if she spends $4 on a coffee, it doesn't affect her ability to be VP.

Don

3. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

That Palin -- &$#@+&# elitist! :D

4. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

what ability?

and i say that as a conservative

5. mactastic thread starter macrumors 68040

mactastic

It proves she's an elitist, by standards set by the Republicans themselves.

Did you think that a $400 haircut would have affected Edwards' ability to be President?

6. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

i see your point by a double standard and frankly i think critcizing either candidate over what they eat, drink is rediculous (unless its 500 dollar meals regularly or something)

but i know sooooo many people that drink 4 dollar coffees everyday

7. Dmac77 macrumors 68020

Dmac77

No, I don't, but I think his affair that occured while his wife has cancer does reflect on his morals and character. Then again, Clinton had an affair and Democrats really didn't care, so I shouldn't expect any negative reactions towards Edwards.

Don

8. mactastic thread starter macrumors 68040

mactastic

Exactly. And studies have shown that those with the most money (tend to be conservatives) are actually the largest consumers of sushi.

And really, I wouldn't care if a candidate WAS eating $500 meals all the time, as long as they did it with their own money and not mine.

But, live by the sword, die by the sword. Conservatives have hung this one around the necks of Democrats for so long, this is easy pickins'.

I wasn't asking about his affair. But since you bring up the topic, do you also feel that McCain's affair while his wife was disfigured and recovering from a severe car accident also reflects on McCain's morals and character?

9. TheAnswer macrumors 68030

TheAnswer

...of course, the same conservatives that went after Clinton would be equally up in arms if the Republican candidate cheated on, then left his disabled wife...

Oh wait, I forgot...IOKIYAR

10. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

I honestly couldnt care less if our next president decided to spend his free time running around naked and kissing elderly women. If they have good policies they have good policies. I dont give a damn about their personal lives (well it does upset me to see some of the dispicable things people do, but when it comes to voting I dont think it should matter)

11. iShater macrumors 604

iShater

I love it when you guys keep walking into this. :D

12. mactastic thread starter macrumors 68040

mactastic

It's too easy.

Predictable response: "But McCain's transgression was so long ago. Edwards was just recently." :rolleyes:

13. Dmac77 macrumors 68020

Dmac77

I never have or will say that it was ok for McCain to cheat on his wife. But **** happens.

I still don;t understand how you think drinking starbucks is a relevant issue, that the voters should worry about. I wonder how many starbucks Obama has had in the last week?

Don

14. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

O
    MY
    GOD

can you not read?

Its obviously a sarcastic and somewhat true observation about how the GOP has hit dems for being elitist over the stupidest things like salad or a hair cut. No one is actually considering this a real friggin topic to base a vote off of.

But you already knew all this and just like to be mr put down dont you?

15. iShater macrumors 604

iShater

Didn't you just say that this action "reflects on his morals and character" about that Edwards dude? so how does this reflect on Mr. McCain? oh, **** happens, so it is not longer a big deal.

Did you read what Mactastic said in the top of the thread? he is talking about how these types of personal choices are picked rather hypocritically to criticize candidates ... and by hypocritically I mean by the right ... and by right I don't mean correct ...

Edit: Off topic, Dmac77, you are a student right?

16. mactastic thread starter macrumors 68040

mactastic

LMFAO! When it's a Democrat who cheats, it's a reflection on their morals and character, and indeed a reflection on the morals and character of all Democrats.

Yet when it's a Republican who cheats, it's "**** happens". Rarely do we get a clearer example of IOKIYAR. Well done sir!

It's not a relevant issue, that's the point. :rolleyes:

17. abijnk macrumors 68040

abijnk

"**** happens" if you are a republican, but it reflects "on his morals and character" if he's a democrat. :eek: Sorry, my head exploded...

18. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

oh id be concerned if our president was running around naked and kissing old people (not that thats necessarily bad lol)

the image of the presidency is JUST as important as the policies themselves

many governments have a figure head of state and the real position

aka england (with the Queen and PM), china and others

the us combines the figurehead and political head into the same position so yes, the actions of the President are very important

19. abijnk macrumors 68040

abijnk

Ah yes, the seven hats of the presidency. I believe you are referring to "Head of State" here, and you are correct, IMHO.

20. Iscariot macrumors 68030

Iscariot

Cool.

McCain had an affair.

21. Dmac77 macrumors 68020

Dmac77

Yes I read what the OP said. But he's critiquing her honesty, by saying she is a hypocrite by drinking starbucks. Tell me Mactastic how many lattes have you had in the past week? How in the hell does drinking coffee make someone a hypocrite?

As to the affair issue, McCain at least didn't try to hide the fact that he had an affair, whereas Edwards denied it.

And yes, I'm a student and I won't be able to vote until 2012. Does it matter? Just because I'm under 18, doesn't mean that I'm a bumbling idiot, whereas many adults are.

Don

22. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

you are missing the point completely

the part i quoted in mactastic's quote is what is getting him up in arms. its a double standard

nothing is wrong with drinking coffee just like nothing is wrong drinking orange juice (which is what obama got critizied for)

23. iShater macrumors 604

iShater

You missed the point of the thread amigo.

I asked whether you are a student because someone in another thread said that the reason folks are "liberal" in this forum is because they are students, and I was looking for the exceptions :D

And I'm not gonna get into name calling :p

24. Dmac77 macrumors 68020

Dmac77

That is just ridiculous! He got criticized for drinking OJ!? Why does anyone give a damn about what they drink seriously?

Don

25. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

exactly, neither party should be going or go to those depths as its not even relevant