Uh-Oh, Pelosi's in Troooouuuuble!

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by dsnort, Jul 23, 2007.

1. dsnort macrumors 68000

dsnort

2. 1dterbeest macrumors regular

While it is true that the anti-war movement (now a majority in our country) is losing patience with the Democratic congress, I doubt Pelosi has anything to worry about from Sheehan as a competitor. The majority leader doesn't get unseated by a protester without a political background.

3. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

4. dsnort thread starter macrumors 68000

dsnort

Hmmm, I don't know how to explain that zim, it works fine for me.

EDIT: Well now it doesn't. Let me see if I can figure it out.

5. dsnort thread starter macrumors 68000

dsnort

6. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Not working for me either. :(

Ah- there it goes. Wow- well she's got guts, but she won't win.

7. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

something's wrong with their configuration. i got to this story by backing up one level to Leading The News, then clicked the link to the story.

8. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

I also find it somewhat strange that she just left the peace movement not even a month ago to be with her family.

9. Maui macrumors 6502a

Maui

Come on, admit it, if Pelosi lost we would all miss her bright, engaging smile and warm personality.

10. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

Pelosi's a politician, Sheenan is a demonstrator. I'm glad she stood up for what she believes in and the loss of a son must have been horrible. She doesn't have what it takes to be a success in WA and Pelosi does.

This is a non story.

Maui's signature says it best.

11. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

The anti-war movement should learn to be more patient.

12. dsnort thread starter macrumors 68000

dsnort

Could be it is a non story. I really don't think Sheehan poses much of a threat to Pelosi, ( though it would make a great movie of the week ).

There is a thought here that might be more troubling for the Dems, though.

The left end of the Dem party has traditionally been a territory of highly fragmented "single issue" constituencies. It has always been problematical for the Dems to pull these disparate groups together in the platform. It has been easier for them in the last seven years as the groups were united in their strong opposition to Bush.

If the Sheehan movement gathers any steam at all though, the left could fragment again on a "Who Hates Bush More" basis. This could open the door for a non-Traditional Presidential candidate who doesn't get the Dem nomination, to run as an independant, maybe Kucinich or even Nader again.

If this happens, and the candidate runs right, they could pull votes from the Dem candidate, doing a Perot/Nader on the election.

Verrryyy scary stuff.

13. ham_man macrumors 68020

ham_man

Cindy Sheehan is the Paris Hilton of the political world -- she is famous for being famous. She is nothing more than someone who wants publicity for publicity's sake...

14. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

We've been patient. We're tired of there being no progress. We're tired of things continuing to get worse and those in charge refusing to admit mistakes or even change strategies. We're tired of the real threat still being out there, actually getting worse. We're tired of being called a fringe even though we've been in the majority for awhile now, having our patriotism questioned and being told we don't support the troops by those putting the troops in harms way and not taking care of them. We're tired of failed policy. We're tired of being afraid. And most importantly, we're tired of being tired.

Yeah, how dare she get angry because her Son died in a war we're still losing that we still don't know why we got involved in when the real terrorists who attacked us are still out there gaining ground because of our mistakes in this place, which was also no threat to us.

That being said, this is a political stunt to make a point that we're not happy with them, and I doubt she actually expects to win, nor will she.

15. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Isn't this story kind of old news? I mean, I read about Sheehan threatening to run against Pelosi weeks ago.

Sheehan doesn't carry enough weight to defeat Pelosi. Not much to worry about here.