Uh-oh. Trump is preparing for his dictatorship.

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Thomas Veil, Feb 27, 2016.

1. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Now he's intimidating the media.

Wow. Just wow.

We may not like how the media conducts their business sometimes, but this is totally inappropriate, and one step away from throwing his critics in jail like some banana republic dictator.

This is what happens when you feed enormous egos like Trump's. They go out of control.

2. steve knight Suspended

steve knight

if the media told the truth about trump he never would have made it this far.

3. SeaFox macrumors 68020

SeaFox

Not sure why people think Trump would make a good president. He clearly remembers nothing about 9th grade civics.
    Hint: The President doesn't have the power to make or change laws -- that power lies with Congress.

4. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

Same goes for Hillary

5. steve knight, Feb 27, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2016

steve knight Suspended

steve knight

seems she has.
    this about trump not Hillary try to stay focused I know you love Hillary but still stay focused young one.

6. vrDrew macrumors 65816

Please let me know when Hillary Clinton suggests changing libel laws so that billionaires and political leaders get to stifle any criticism with threats of libel lawsuits. We'll continue the discussion about Hillary Clinton when she does that.

In case it hasn't percolated through to you yet, here's how libel laws work in countries that don't have our First Amendment protections: A journalist making $50,000 per year writes a story criticizing a billionaire industrialist for (accurately enough) dumping toxic chemicals. The billionaire turns around and sues the the journalist for libel. The billionaire can easily afford the couple of hundred thousand dollars such a lawsuit entails. The journalist, obviously, cannot.

Th truth of the matter is immaterial. The very fact that a rich mans threat of a libel lawsuit can bring ruin to anyone, means that virtually no one will ever report on or expose wrongdoing by the rich and powerful.

So, criticize Hillary Clinton for what she has done, if you will.

But stop wasting everyone's time by blathering false equivalences to a truly awful threat to free speech from Donald Trump.

7. mgguy macrumors 6502

mgguy

Is Obama aware of this?

8. throAU, Feb 27, 2016

throAU macrumors 601

throAU

War powers?

Been wondering for a while, are you guys officially at war with the "war on terror"?

I mean you have combat sorties being performed in multiple countries?

If so the president gets a whole heap more powers.

And I did hear that there's even a shadow government that really runs things during war time.

9. thewap macrumors demi-god

thewap

Libel law applies to everyone, even in a forum. What makes news so special that they are allowed to libel anyone?

10. WarHeadz macrumors 6502a

WarHeadz

11. APlotdevice, Feb 27, 2016

APlotdevice macrumors 68040

APlotdevice

They shouldn't. But this would set an extremely dangerous precedent. Politicians could sue the media for saying anything. Even if they know they'll be found innocent, many studios and reporters would be afraid of having to deal with all the time and money spent defending themselves in court.

You only have to look at how copyright flagging is abused on YouTube to see how the law can be used to censor.

12. einmusiker macrumors 68030

einmusiker

13. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

1A, Jane Akre, and the 1A again.

BL.

14. DUCKofD3ATH Suspended

DUCKofD3ATH

About time!

The media has become the handmaiden of the Democratic party. They've destroyed their credibility and have become partisan hacks.

Their own fault if the Fourth Estate gets taken down a few pegs.
    --- Post Merged, Feb 27, 2016 ---
    You're voting for a woman married to a racist and sexual predator. Her mentor was a fan of the KKK.

I'm not interested in your ridiculous comparisons given the despicable nature of those you openly support.

15. einmusiker macrumors 68030

einmusiker

keep telling yourself that. the rest of us will stick with reality.

16. DUCKofD3ATH Suspended

DUCKofD3ATH

This from a guy who's voting for a woman married to a racist and sexual predator. Sure, stick with reality. But next time, take the red pill.

17. MacAndMic macrumors 6502

While I am a Trump supporter and don't agree with the context of what you guys are talking about, this is just Trump.

He does not have the Pope or the Ex Mexico President right now to get media attention so he uses the media against itself.

It is sure brilliance to get his name all over media without spending a dime. Imagine what a guy, so creative in manipulation could do to make this country great.

18. APlotdevice macrumors 68040

APlotdevice

You're really not doing a good job distinguishing Trump from the likes of Hitler.

19. MacAndMic macrumors 6502

Your opinion, slanted. As if a dictator could even exist in the US. The citizens took care of that problem with Obama.

20. APlotdevice macrumors 68040

APlotdevice

While I do criticize Obama for continuing the idiocy and insanities of the Bush Administration, I've haven't seen a single thing listed that makes him more of a "dictator" than any prior President. Feel free to give some reasons, though I will have probably heard them all.

Now I'm sure this whole "Dictator" thing has been brought up in the conservative media. So tell me, has the Obama administration ever tried to pursue legal action against them? Wait, never mind... I know what your response to that will be. So okay, did Bush go after the media for portraying him as a bumbling imbecile?

And as for whether it could actually happen... well Germany had a Representative Democracy. It wasn't as long established as the US, but it was suffering economically. People were frustrated and wanted someone to blame for their hardships. Hitler stepped in and focused that frustration towards the Jews and other "outsiders".

21. CalWizrd Suspended

CalWizrd

Well, if everyone is really worried about Trump turning into another Hitler-like dictator, it's a good thing lots of us have guns!

22. APlotdevice, Feb 27, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2016

APlotdevice macrumors 68040

APlotdevice

The last uprising of armed civilians involved taking over a bird refuge.

23. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Much as I don't like Trump to create an empowered and informed electorate they do need to not lie.

24. APlotdevice macrumors 68040

APlotdevice

Well the problem is that their goal these days isn't to "create an empowered and informed electorate", but rather to maximize their ratings.

25. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

I was discussing tube strikes and the NHS and made the point that it's hard to know whose right when they don't have to publish their negotiating positions publicly in the press.