UI overhaul I was hoping for from iOS 6. (video)

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by Funkymonk, Jun 19, 2012.

1. Funkymonk macrumors 6502a

Funkymonk

http://vimeo.com/43224490

Or at least something similar. Simple and intuitive. Apple could make a lot of changes obviously and make it their own. Still, I think it's vastly superior to plain iOS now.

2. rocknblogger macrumors 68020

rocknblogger

3. iPhoneApple macrumors 6502

It looks cool/amazing. It probably will lag though.

4. virginblue4 macrumors 68000

virginblue4

I'll be honest, I'm extremely glad they DIDN'T make it like that.

Out of the whole video, the only thing that would have been nice in iOS 6 is the settings toggle in notification centre (e.g. 3G, wifi, brightness etc).

5. Funkymonk thread starter macrumors 6502a

Funkymonk

on the 3gs and 4 maybe but I don't know why the 4s and next iPhone would have trouble with it.

6. BFizzzle macrumors 68020

BFizzzle

that phone looked slick for sure. i liked the lock screen.

7. Ljohnson72 macrumors 6502a

Ljohnson72

Looks like a great combination of customizability with ease of use and simplistic design.

8. nuckinfutz macrumors 603

nuckinfutz

Tech support nightmare.

I'm sorry but if Apple wanted to kill the iPhone they'd do this. This is great for a pretty savvy computer user but having swipes that display content vertically and horizontally as well as all this hidden stuff just isn't going to fly with the public at large.

K.I.S.S

9. iPhoneApple macrumors 6502

Maybe. I feel Apple may over redesigned look and make it an exclusive for the next iPhone.

10. RoboCop001 macrumors 65816

I didn't watch the whole thing so I don't know about the rest of the stuff, but I like how the lock screen works.

11. Reddkryten macrumors 6502

At first I was a little confused as to how the phone operates, but after I saw the Apps, Widgets, Shortcuts tabs at the top I got it.

However all that became unimportant when I saw that Scott Pilgrim was calling! Scott Pilgrim is awesome! Apple should get rid of this John Appleseed guy they keep using in adverts and promotions and call up Scott!

The only way they could possibly cooler is if when they introduce the new iPhone, they take a demo phone call from Batman!

Android wins this round!

12. Ljohnson72 macrumors 6502a

Ljohnson72

It's really not that complicated.

Edit: Here's a cool article on it from The Verge.

13. nuckinfutz macrumors 603

nuckinfutz

It's way too busy.

Tech Enthusiasts will love it but the fat of the market just doesn't want to do gymnastics to control their phone.

Android really appears to be slowing down and these cluttered UI aren't going to help.

14. cmChimera macrumors 68040

cmChimera

I hate to admit it, but I think you're right. I thought it looked really nice, but my Mom or Dad would have a heart attack.

15. rorschach macrumors 68020

rorschach

The Android home screen looks pretty much the same, they've just put a different wallpaper and default icons on the first screen. Consistency is good; change for the sake of change isn't.

16. luked14 macrumors 6502

Based on that video, that's the most impressive mobile UI I've ever seen. I'd love to have the chance to try it in real world use.

17. boomhower macrumors 68000

boomhower

I liked it for the most part. Apple is going to have to do something eventually. People are going to get tired of looking at the same old thing after a while.

18. PhoneI macrumors 65816

Why? I live all the time in my apps. Not the home screen.

19. AustinIllini macrumors demi-god

AustinIllini

I feel the same way. Too much stuff and the home screen is kind of ugly. That being said, it looks slick, and it's definitely an alternative to the iPhone and Windows phone, and it's not a total ripoff like the Samsung Galaxy series, so I applaud Sharp.

----------

Agreed. The home screen deserves the least attention. The lock screen deserves the most attention, and they have a good opportunity to work with the search screen.

20. Ljohnson72, Jun 19, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2012

Ljohnson72 macrumors 6502a

Ljohnson72

The design has been refined overtime. The design of the icons has improved. The app drawer button has been expanded to include easy access to the phone, web, messages and camera. Custom typeface for the UI, Roboto. No more physical buttons required. I'd say these changes are far greater and significant than the ability to (finally) customize your wallpaper and a glass dock.

And for those of you saying the homescreen is cluttered, the Ice Cream Sandwich default homescreen is actually less cluttered than the iOS default.

A few swipes is hardly "doing gymnastics."

21. Syk macrumors 6502a

Because people like new stuff and get tired of the same ole same.

Had a 3G,currently have an iPhone 4,ipad2, 3&4 gen iPod touch and I'm really thinking about getting a SIII just to try something new. I don't have hundreds & hundreds of apps so switching wont be much of a problem for me.

ETA the phone is a little busy but nothing a person couldn't handle. It's 2012 we shouldn't have to dumb everything down.

22. applesith macrumors 68030

applesith

I like that a lot! Especially scrolling between apps and then widgets and contacts.

Sharp makes sexy stuff and that OS is pretty hot. I'd consider it if it came to the USA.

23. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Looks great if you want to spend more time playing with your phone than actually using it to do stuff.

That doesn't describe me, but I guess there's a market for everything.

Based on most people's PC desktops and 'Start' menus, I can very clearly see the absolute clusterf*** that this UI will quickly lead to with most people. I'm sure the more astute users who post here wouldn't fall into that trap, but I'd hesitate to recommend this phone to anyone but the most advanced users. Hardly a mainstream device.

24. Roofy. macrumors 6502a

The lock screen looked cool. Except I still find it stupid to have stocks and weather on the lock screen... just a waste of battery life.

I found it really stupid when it said "uncluttered" and theyn they show you an extremely cluttered screen filled with widgets. yuck