UK 2010 Election

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Shaun.P, Apr 6, 2010.

?

Who are you voting for in the 2010 general election? (major parties listed only)

Poll closed May 5, 2010.
  1. Conservative

33 vote(s)
    38.8%
  2. Labour

12 vote(s)
    14.1%
  3. Liberal Democrat

40 vote(s)
    47.1%
  1. Shaun.P macrumors 68000

Shaun.P

I've never voted before in a general election, mainly because I believe politicians simply lie to get your vote, and I also believe that choosing the candidate you are going to vote for is a time consuming decision that requires too much research.

Despite my attitude, I have decided that I am going to vote in the May 6th generation election.

I am stuck between the three major parties: Conservative, Labour and the Liberal Democrats.

I'm training to become a teacher so education is a priority for me.

Can anyone help me make a decision?

I've added a poll so you can vote who you're voting for. Feel free to talk about other aspects of the election.

2. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Labour have been in power too long, and the Conservatives aren't really much better. So its a pretty poor choice.

The Liberal Democrats look quite good and I'll either vote for them or the Greens probably.

3. eMac4ever macrumors regular

eMac4ever

4. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

5. Shaun.P thread starter macrumors 68000

Shaun.P

The party I seem to want to vote for is labour, but on the other hand I want change, and I feel labour will just bring more of the same? I can't stand Alistair Darling!

Edit: So labour on the whole believes on more equal rights for homosexuals?

6. eMac4ever macrumors regular

eMac4ever

Yes, the LibDems are big supporters also. Although I would say they are not quite as enthusiastic as Labour. Likewise, Labour seems to be a bit more progressive on a number of social issues. For example, 42% of LibDem MPs voted to lower the abortion limit, while only 20% of Labour MPs voted to do so. For reference, 83% of Conservative MPs voted to do so.

7. CHAOS STEP macrumors 6502

CHAOS STEP

Why on earth are people still wanting to vote for Labour?

Want more ridiculous wars, a mismanaged economy (Labour are truly the party of taxation and spending), the erosion of civil liberties and an aimless european (and world) policy.

Not saying you should be voting Tory (they're the same party after all), why not the Lib Dems? Never been a better time for it.

You guys are part of the problem. Terrible government for 12 years and you want to keep them running the show?

If we really want some change (I hate to use that word), use your vote for the Liberal Democrats!

8. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

I suggest everyone support the most viable unaffiliated candidates who best suit their leanings ( and Scottish independence ;) ). Look at what the two- party system has done for your wayward step-child across the pond. :eek:

9. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Knowing absolutely nothing about your parties, I'd vote for the Liberal Democrats since I like Liberal Democrats in the US. Of course, being the UK, your Democrats might be conservative and your Conservatives might be liberal, just like how you guys drive on the wrong side of the road :p

10. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

I'll be voting for whatever party stands the best chance of beating the Tories, which is probably going to be Labour in my constituency.

[​IMG]

11. djellison macrumors 68020

'none of the above' - TICK.

Sorry - I've reach the point where I believe them all to be lying corrupt bastards and not one deserves a place in parliament. If I'm in the UK on election day ( and I have every intention of having emigrated before it ) - I will turn up - spoil my ballot and cast that.

Some may see it as a waste of time. I see it as the only 'right' answer given the choices on the ballot paper these days.

12. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

[​IMG]

The Conservatives were the only major political party against stimulus - probably in the whole G20.

13. Shaun.P thread starter macrumors 68000

Shaun.P

I thought the conservatives were proven to be popular for this election. The views on this thread do not seem to reflect that!

Apparently the lib dems have never won an election before. Does that make them too inexperienced to put the UK back on the right track?

14. CHAOS STEP macrumors 6502

CHAOS STEP

Apparently you missed the part of my post that said vote Liberal Democrat, so I'm not sure what you're getting at.

15. 0dev macrumors 68040

0dev

If I could vote, I'd vote Pirate Party UK.

Though, realistically, I think the Tories will end up winning.

[​IMG]

16. paddy macrumors 6502a

paddy

Just please UK, don't put the Tories back in!

17. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

I promise I'll try not to.

18. 0dev macrumors 68040

0dev

[​IMG]

...I'd do what he says if I were you... :D

19. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

I know you said that, but I think I misunderstood the overall tone of your post - I thought you were being more anti-Labour :eek:.

20. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

That face, sheesh. "You will be assimilated..."

21. niuniu macrumors 68020

niuniu

A man of the people. The right sort of people.
    Between Conservative and Lib Dems right now. I'm not hugely concerned over the internal politics and taxing that goes on in the UK. I't won't really affect me personally, able people should be able to survive no matter what the climate is, life is peachy in the UK compared to other countries. Also, for the less able, the UK has strong welfare and are bound by over arching EU regs so whoever is in here isn't really going to bring disaster - especially this term as there be no strong majority by any party to push through anything controversial.

Too much scaremongering in politics, most people wouldn't know the difference in their lives with a change in government, yet they run around rhyming off rhetoric like one party is the devil.

I recently found out that Nick Clegg was an atheist - something I found to be personally appealing as he may be far more likely to resist religious lobbying. That might end up deciding my vote.

Labour had a nice mandate going to have an elected House of Lords, something that I remember talking about years ago at law school - I'm not sure what happened to that, but if I believed for one minute that Labour would actually push through and make that a priority at some point over the next term, then that might actually be the only way I could bring myself to vote for them again. I wanted them out in the last term after the Iraq war..

A Conservative vote right for me would be a safety vote to keep Labour out, and largely also to stick it to people that think that the Conservatives would bring the UK back to the 80s or some nonsense they picked up from the TV.

22. VoR macrumors 6502a

Conservative, labour - they're exactly the same. An unsubtle mix of public speakers and media maestros.
    Conservatives will do a better job, literally because they're new into power (and because it's pretty much impossible not to).
    Simple as that.

23. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

As my MP is George, The Cat, Galloway right now anyone else would be better.

[​IMG]
    My MP, pretending to be a cat.

24. 0dev macrumors 68040

0dev

[​IMG]

25. niuniu macrumors 68020

niuniu

A man of the people. The right sort of people.
    Who's looking forward to the TV debates by the way? That's got to be pretty exciting no matter what party you support. I can't wait!