UK Adds Domestic Violence to PSHE Curriculum

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by mkrishnan, Nov 25, 2009.

1. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Interesting...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/education/8378341.stm

I personally am not overly impressed by the arguments of parents who want their children shielded because they view this as objectionable content. Blah, blah, blah, these are the same parents who don't want their children exposed to what racists do, who don't want their children to know how to have sex responsibly, etc, etc, etc.

OTOH it seems like a crowded curriculum and I wonder what evidence exists that it might be effective. I wonder also if some of the content more like what women's studies has developed that is intermeshed into discussion of different areas (the sociobiology of domestic violence, discussing this kind of issue in the context of history classes and in the context of literature classes, etc) woven into the curriculum might not be more meaningful.

I also wonder to what extent education helps... there is a tremendous amount of isolation that sustains domestic violence, certainly. People stay in domestic violence situations because they don't believe they can live in a world without it, because they don't know who will help them, don't know who to call, don't know where to go, etc.

But I also don't know that much about the specifics of what the UK PSHE curriculum looks like.

2. abijnk macrumors 68040

abijnk

Very interesting.

It sounds like there are good intentions here. As you point out, domestic violence is inherently isolating, so I would think that openly discussing it could be beneficial to children living in such situations or who might have to deal with them in the future.

However, that is one hell of a broad range of topics for one class! How could they expect to be effective at any of the topics when they are packing so many into one?

I have to admit, however, that I haven't the slightest idea what the UK school year looks like. Is it similar to how we do things in the U.S.?

3. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

That's one of the problems with this.

Overall this is a good idea.

4. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed. It seems like there are going to be so many topics, that the classes will spend minimal time on each.

5. mkrishnan thread starter Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I found this example from Ealing of the school's more specifical curricular plan for domestic violence in PSHE...

http://www.egfl.org.uk/categories/teaching/curriculum/subjects/pshe/domestic.html

There's a graphic on page 7 of the PDF also that explains what components are offered at what ages...

[​IMG]

6. alFR macrumors 68020

It's a great idea, but shouldn't they really be teaching children that violence towards anyone (apart from in self-defence, perhaps) is unacceptable, rather than just focussing on domestic violence?