UK: Anyone found a good generic Lightning to USB on UK Amazon or eBay stores?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by justjax, Oct 1, 2012.

1. justjax macrumors regular

Grudge spending £15 for another lead, but I need one so I can charge my phone while at work. Seems to be lots of Lightning leads, adapters on Amazon but most are to pre-ordered with release dates of November for some and none of those currently availabe have any customer feedback to judge if they are any good. Anyone bought one from Amazon or eBay for a reasonable price and that definately works fine?

2. MrGimper macrumors 601

MrGimper

Not much help but I've ordered 3x 3rd Party 30pin/Lightning adapters and am awaiting delivery this week. The problem is that the apple lightning cables/adapters have an apple developed chip in them to set up the pins correctly. The seller of my adapters believes their supplier has a work around using a more freely available chip, and will test them before shipping.

3. d123 macrumors 68000

d123

Or, of course, the Chinese copies just omit a chip altogether and hope for the best :(

4. darngooddesign macrumors G3

Be careful trusting the generic ones. If the chip isn't there or is shoddy it can short out your phone.

5. justjax thread starter macrumors regular

Fair enough. Looking at someone of them on eBay and most seem to be on avail on pre-order not in stock. Darn it, wish Apple had released the spec earlier so all the cheap Chinese manufactures could have produced them already :D. Looks like it could be weeks before they are available or we get an idea if they are any good. Darn you Apple, looks like you'll be getting another £15 off me. :mad:

Do the Apple stores have the offical ones in stock? On the Store online it says 1-2 weeks for delivery?

6. MrGimper macrumors 601

MrGimper

Well the seller did say that the primary function of the chip is to allow the plug to be inserted either way. They were toying with the idea of only allowing their version to be inserted only one way and avoid the need for the chip, however decided to explore the "other chip" option.

----------

Just come back from my local store in the UK and there were several rows of them on the wall.