UK - Argos selling 2 x £15 itunes cards for £20!

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by psxguru, Jun 18, 2009.

1. psxguru macrumors 6502a

I don't think this has been posted...

This is a heads up for UK people.

Argos are having a special offer on iTunes gift cards. You can buy 2 £15 cards for £20 (saving £10), this offer is instore only although you can reserve online and collect.

Argos link

2. NATO macrumors 68000

NATO

3. McScooby macrumors 6502

4. Jelite macrumors 6502a

Nice, do these have use by dates or does it credit your account?

5. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

Wow, how does Apple make any money on this? Apple pays at least 70% back to the music labels, probably at least that for movies.

A retailer had pretty much the exact sale on in Australia. 2x$30 for $40. Sweet deal.

6. CavemanUK macrumors 6502

CavemanUK

very nice find. Will be popping into my local argos tomorrow and getting £60 of vouchers. Seems a good way to get TomTom cheaper when they release it.

7. psxguru thread starter macrumors 6502a

no expiry dates on them, scratch off the back to reveal the code, click on 'redeem' in the itunes store and type in the code to add the credit to your account.

8. dwright1974 macrumors 6502

dwright1974

That's a great find thanks!

CavemanUK - Reserve them online ... you won't have a wasted journey then.

Just reserved 4 myself!!

- D

9. AppleMatt macrumors 68000

AppleMatt

You are a ledgend. True ledgend. I love people who save me money!

Very good idea.

AppleMatt

10. Benjay macrumors member

I just visited my local Argos and they said that the special offer won't go through their tills for some reason and that IT are looking in to it. Not sure if thsi is applying for other stores too, or just mine? Anyone else had tis problem?

11. dwright1974 macrumors 6502

dwright1974

Benjay - So what happened, could you get them?

I have reserved some through their website (4 in total) and it has come up with the correct price - £40.

I was going to get them later but I won't be making a special trip if it's wasted!

Cheers

- D

12. Benjay macrumors member

No. They wouldn't sell them to me. I reserved 6 online to make sure it wasn't a wasted trip, but I guess I was wrong!

She did however extend my reservation until the 22nd, which is when the deal ends, as they told me the issue should be solved by then.

This could all just be a problem with my store only of course...
    Has anybody been successful in picking some of these up?

13. dwright1974 macrumors 6502

dwright1974

Well that's a bit rubbish, isn't it!?

What did you take with regards to your confirmation, just the number or the email? I have the email on my iPhone which states the number reserved and the total, (£40).

Thanks for the update though!

- D

14. Lorenz0 macrumors regular

got my 6 reserved and picking up tonight :D

If I hadn't just bought my holiday, I'd have kicked the arse right out of this offer....

15. Benjay macrumors member

Yeah, I had my iPhone with me too, so I had both the email and the text message at hand!

Going to try again tomorrow, hopefully it will have been sorted by then!

Like I said before, this could just be isolated to my store, it might be worth giving them a quick call before you give up entirely!

Cheers.

16. kid rock macrumors regular

reserved 2 at my store (Rayleigh Weir, Essex) will update tomorrow once i pick them up on how i got on, but i may get some more tbh as my g/f is getting her iPhone tomoz as well!
    :D

17. davem7 macrumors member

Thanks for this, just reserved four for myself. Going to use them for TomTom as everyone's been suggesting :)

18. ramases macrumors member

Reserved mine to collect tomorrow.

p.s. Birthdays are selling £25 itunes cards for £20 if stocks of these run low.

19. dwright1974 macrumors 6502

dwright1974

As a follow up to this.

I have just been to collect my cards I had reserved online and had the same problems as Benjay. Even though I had my reservation number the iTunes cards weren't going through with the offer.

I had more success than Benjay though as the Manager was about and did a £20 discount for my 4 cards. The Manager had said she'd had problems all day with them and was considering taking them off sale.

Just a heads up for anyone going to collect their cards. Take your confirmation email and text message if you've reserved online.

- D

20. Jelite macrumors 6502a

I've just been into town for a fathers day present and some of these and completely forgot them:mad:

21. iJonWitham macrumors newbie

Thank you so much. I love it when people save me money !!

Thank you !!

22. silhouette macrumors newbie

I went in to collect the 4 I had reserved on my way home from work and at first they tried to charge me full price. I pointed out the discount listed on my reservation and then they remembered that they had had a memo about them.

It turns out I was the first customer to try and buy some even though it was nearly closing time.

The memo didn't sound as if it was clearly written, but the gist of it was:

because they have to put the full amount onto the gift card, they can't alter the price on the till. What they had to do was put the discounted amount through as 'cash' and get me to sign a petty cash receipt for that amount. They popped that into the till and then I just paid the discounted amount on my card! No problem at all.

I've had some very bad experiences with Argos and usually won't use them, but this went pretty well considering the difficulty it sounds like some people are having.

Hope my description helps some other people make sure they can get their discount.

23. dwright1974 macrumors 6502

dwright1974

That's exactly what they did with me ... sounds like it's Argos' best kept secret!! :D

- D

24. wdmeuk macrumors newbie

I spent about 20 minutes trying to buy these this evening. I reserved 12 (sorry to anyone who wanted some from the London Victoria store :eek: )

They had to charge me the full £180 as the offer wasn't coming up and they couldn't overwrite the price on the till so they had to refund the £60 on my card. Quite complicated especially when they have to make sure each card activated successfully. (The length of the receipt is about 3 metres long!)

Considering the cards don't expire for 2 years if you don't purchase something (not likely!) I thought I'd get as many as I could :D

Thanks psxguru and everyone else for your stories! Glad it's not just me who struggles to find good in Argos.