UK based moron here

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by chen23, Nov 3, 2011.

1. chen23 macrumors member

who's still kicking himself.......

I was bathing my baby daughter a couple of days ago, my new iphone 4s fell out of my shirt pocket into the bath for less than a second but undoubtedly enough to trip the water sensors

did the (probably pointless) bowl of rice thing overnight and it seemed OK for the first few hours the following day but now the headphones keep on cutting out and the headphone remote controls seem to be only working intermittently.

Checked my insurance (o2) but found that it (of course) was only relevant to the phone 4 I'd bought from them a year or so ago.

Have got an appointment with the covent garden store tomorrow, I no it's not covered under the warranty but I'm wondering if any UK based forum members are aware of whether

1) I'll be entitled to buy one of those cheaper out of warranty replacements.

2) Whether they have anyof these replacements in stock (the iphone 4s that is) in the UK at the moment.

3) How much they cost.

any advice gratefully recieved.

2. Lukkee24 macrumors 6502a

They've had them in stock every day in Sunday for reservation the next day, so stock shouldn't be a problem :).

3. KentuckyHouse macrumors 68020

KentuckyHouse

I got as far as this line and winced. :eek: Man, I'm sorry to hear this, OP. Here's hoping you get a replacement that doesn't cost you an arm and a leg!

4. MarcBook macrumors 6502a

MarcBook

Reminds me of when my sunglasses fell in the toilet the other day. I'm damn thankful it wasn't my iPhone! Sorry to hear about this, OP. I hope you get a reasonably-priced replacement! I guess all you can do is try your luck with explaining the story at the Apple store. :(

5. The Game 161 macrumors G5

The Game 161

If you go in all nice they may give you a reasonable price....worth a try.

6. cal6n macrumors 68000

cal6n

Unless they've changed their policy since last year (and there's no reason to think that they have) then:

1. Yes, no problem.
    2. Yes, service stock is always available.
    3. Around £140.

7. bandofbrothers macrumors 601

bandofbrothers

And as a learning curve invest in a shirt with buttoned breast pockets or slip it in your trouser pockets !!

8. tiptopp macrumors regular

tiptopp

Try your contents insurance policy...

I put my 3g through the washing machine. Stupid, and frustrating. Obviously didn't work. So I checked my home contents policy which covered accidental damage, including to mobile phones, so long as it happened within the home. I actually made money out of it, because their policy was to send the cost of buying a new one from the mobile provider (O2 at the time), and sent me a cheque for about £350. So I went to the Apple Store and bought an out of warranty replacement for £140.

It's worth reading the policy!

Tiptopp

9. bandofbrothers macrumors 601

bandofbrothers

Your fortunate.

Some insurers require you to buy the phone and send the receipt in to be paid out !!

10. chen23 thread starter macrumors member

Gotta love the apple store

Went in, was all smiles and fully 100% honest about what had happened

The guy went away for a minute and came back with a new phone, told me thats as a one off goodwill gesture he was going to hook me up with a new out of warranty replacement for free

very happy with that

For one reason or another I've spent a good amount of money online over the last year on apple product for my work, family and friends so not sure if that was partially the reason but either way impressed with the customer service, they didn't need to do that; will no doubt play a part in my continuing (over) spending on apple products so they will definitely make their money back in this good will gesture.

11. satchow macrumors 6502

This is why I like Apple. People outside will complain about Apple's products being expensive, but it's things like this that they can't see which make the products well worth it. Try walking into an HTC store (what? they don't exist?) and get them to replace your HTC Jumbotronix 3000 that you dropped in the bathtub for free.

12. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

Happy to hear. I have no problem with Apple making exceptions like this. It bugs the **** out of me when people feel they are "entitled" to it.