UK: Best chance of getting an iPhone 4 without a reservation

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by MadDoc, Jun 21, 2010.

1. MadDoc macrumors 6502

MadDoc

I'm at the end of a contract with O2. I think I am going to sign up with Vodafone as a new customer (coverage looks better, more data, etc).

I have not pre-ordered the phone.

What do you reckon my best bet is for securing a phone on Thursday?

1. Local Apple retail store
    2. Vodafone store
    3. Carphone warehouse

Are there likely to be any iPhones available at the Apple store for those who have not pre-ordered? I'd need to be gone by 9am as I'm a doctor and have surgery!

2. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

Im heading to a rural o2 store in the hope that they are not going to be very busy.

3. johnrs macrumors 6502a

all depends on how early you get up

Leave it till lunch time that i would not bother. Get up at 6am and start to queue about 6.30 then I would say you have a very good chance no matter where you queue

4. AdamA9 macrumors 6502a

And by that logic, maybe they wont have many, or any there at all?

Best bet I would have thought would be to queue early like the rest of us :)

5. iAttain macrumors member

Good thread Doc. I am going to jump to Vodafone too, without pre-ordering, and I am wondering how to get my hands on an iPhone on launch day. I think our best bet would be to ring a Vodafone store and get our names down on a (unofficial) pre-order list, as I imagine the Apple stores will be chaotic.

6. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

Guess that's a risk I'm going to have to take, but I have spoken to them on the phone and they say they are receiving some. The nearest Apple store to me is over 2 hours away so I don't really have any other choice.

7. iSimx macrumors 6502

iSimx

Likewise I live in a rural part and going to my local carphone warehouse. It's better than going to a larger store or apple store as there are very few people queueing for them, being a small town. And yes, they will have plenty of iPhones or enough evailable so that I can get hold of one :D

8. krayziekray macrumors 6502

I am also considering moving to Vodafone. But am I mistaken in assuming Apple stores will only sell PAYG phones?

9. naths macrumors 6502

does anyone know what the crack is with vodafone???....can you buy one on contract thurs?..on line??....havnt a clue!!

10. MadDoc thread starter macrumors 6502

MadDoc

I spoke to my local (large) Vodafone store and they said they will be selling on a first-come-first-serve basis to new and existing customers. They said stock will be *limited*.

Apple sell iPhones as PAYG and contract with any of the carriers at the rates set by the carriers.

Good advice. That's pretty much what I was thinking. I'd need to be done by 9am though as I have surgery!

I'm really excited about this. I was in Australia when the original iPhone launched in the UK so I'm finding it difficult to judge how early to get to the shops. My city centre is hardly the most appealing place to hang around in the early hours of the morning...