UK buyer buying iPad in the US. Any advantages/disadvantages?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by KevinM2, Apr 7, 2010.

1. KevinM2 macrumors 6502

Just reading the (possible) UK pricing/availability of the iPad, and I was wondering, as I am going to the US on vacation in a week, if I pick up a 64Gb WiFi iPad (which is going to cost me £411 + local tax, as I pre-bought my dollars at 1.70=>£1), could I expect any problems with using it in the UK?

How about warranty? Is Apple's warranty worldwide. If I ever have an issue, will I be able to take it to a UK Apple store and get it seen to as if I had bought it in the UK?

Will there be any problems syncing it to my UK iTunes account (and transferring my apps/music/purchases onto it?).

One last thing. Am I able to reserve one in the US Apple store where I am vacationing and go and collect it when I arrive?

Thanks,
    Kevin

2. skubish macrumors 68030

skubish

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7E18 Safari/528.16)

1. Apple generally has a global warranty on mobile devices.

2. It should sync with UK iTunes store and Appstore but people in the UK are reporting the UK store is unavailable right now.

3. skubish macrumors 68030

skubish

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7E18 Safari/528.16)

1. Apple generally has a global warranty on mobile devices.

2. It should sync with UK iTunes store and Appstore but people in the UK are reporting the UK store is unavailable right now.
    3. You can't reserve in the apple store anymore. It was only for launch.

4. KevinM2 thread starter macrumors 6502

So I guess the only way to pick one up locally in Boston would be to simply go instore and see if they have any stock?

What are instore stock levels like? Are people able to wander in off the street and buy one there and then, or are they in really short supply and difficult to find (especially the 64Gb version)?

5. RainbowMac macrumors newbie

I do believe the power plug is different from US to UK. However I suppose the adapters are cheap and you can probably use the detachable mac laptop prong.

6. The Samurai macrumors 68000

The Samurai

My iPad from the States just arrived today in the UK and I've been playing about with it al day, as you could imagine.

The app store is not working from within the iPad, it says not available in this country yet. Not an issue because ive downloaded all the ipad apps through my Mac via iTunes. Only ones I couldn't download was iBooks and the iWork suite - which one can easily do by creating a US based itunes account.

Regarding Applecare, I believe its worldwide coverage although you have to buy it separate? You do get like 90 days as standard but you would want more if you tend to keep your gadgets for a bit, or for that additional security.

Regarding the power adapter - the one supplied is a US based plug hence not usable here in the UK. However, you can easily clip off the US plug and buy the 'world travel adapter kit' from apple.... Works a treat.
    :D

7. VideoFreek macrumors 6502

VideoFreek

I bought mine in Boston at the Boylston St. store on Monday and though business was brisk, they had plenty in stock and appear to be getting replenished every day. I really don't think you'll have a problem. Good luck!

8. skubish macrumors 68030

skubish

I have not heard any widespread shortages.

9. macmedal macrumors regular

Go for it, I bought my MBP from Boston and even when I had a problem with the keyboard, I returned it to the UK Cambridge apple store under warranty without any problem. As highlighted the plug issue is as simple as plugging in the UK apple plug adaptor or even buying or using the 3GS iPhone adaptor.

While you are there buy a US iTunes gift card and open a US iTunes account use your hotel address for Zip code etc, you will not be able to assign a UK credit card but you will always be able to top it up with US iTunes gift cards. This will be invaluable especially as the UK iTunes store is not online with ipad yet.

I will be buying a 3G ipad from Chicago in May as even with a poor US $ exchange I know it will be cheaper than rip off Britain.

10. mutle macrumors newbie

Thanks for the information, I'm going to New York next week and plan to pick one up when I'm there. Let's hope the supplies last for another week :)