[UK] Can anybody better £124.40 for 4GB for the new MBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by nicklad, Jun 14, 2007.

1. nicklad macrumors 6502

I wasn't going to pay the stupid prices (£400 odd) that Apple want for 4GB in a SR MBP, so I've been looking around for better prices for the upgrade.

The best price I can get, including shipping, is £124.40:

http://www.shopmagenta.com/product/MAU1001839.aspx

I've posted this because I'm interested if anybody has managed to find a better price and also to let people know that better deals are available if you look.

-EDIT-

Memory arrived, very well packaged and it's genuine Kingston.

Uses Micron chips - identical to those found on a stick of Crucial. :)

2. nicklad thread starter macrumors 6502

3. FleurDuMal macrumors 68000

FleurDuMal

:eek: :eek: :eek:

Is that good RAM? Seems a little too good to be true, if you know what I mean?

4. shiato storm macrumors member

valid point FDM, crucial, kingston and corsair - or other trusted brands - I'd be happy to pay for the goods, if it really is kingston then I see no probs. damn good price too!
    would be ideal to get a matched pair though

5. dcv macrumors G3

:eek: That really IS cheap! And that makes me a tad nervous. I've always bought from Crucial before because it's guaranteed for a particular model. I know the old PowerBooks were very picky about RAM but I don't know about the MacBook Pros (yet). I'm picking up a 15" from the store this evening...

6. nicklad thread starter macrumors 6502

Copy of a post I made in reply to criticism:

It doesn't follow logically to spend more money than you need to just because you have already spent a lot.

There are no moving parts, so I wouldn't personally consider it to be a part put under relatively high stress when compared to, say, a hard disk.

Aside from this RAM is made to a specification, so whatever stress needs to be handled is designed in.

Source? Apple are using Intel parts, present in an order of magnitude more PC's than Mac's.

For the SR MBP, Apple are using Intel's 965 Express Chipset.

Again, RAM is made to work to a specification. I accept that some parts inevitably have more tolerance built in than others, but I am not intending on overclocking or changing the voltage.

The Kingston part fully meets the required specification:

http://www.valueram.com/datasheets/KVR667D2S5_2G.pdf

It is, apparently, extensively tested and comes with a lifetime warrenty.

The company are also an Apple approved memory manufacturer.

You rase an emotive point, but a fair one in-so-far as I certainly would not want anything that compromised the stability of my MPB in anyway. I'll do some extensive memtest86 run in tests when I get a pair.

No, sadly you get the same price. :(

Thanks! I'll have a look. :)

7. Igantius macrumors 65816

re: OWC - I haven't looked, but I wouldn't think it's going to work out that cheap due to shipping and the possibility of having to pay duty if you get caught by Customs.

I've only had a quick look, but I haven't found anyway cheaper than that first place you found.

8. nicklad thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks!

I got bored and ordered two of the Kingston's - which I will extensively test and run in and post back here with my experiences. :)

9. Igantius macrumors 65816

10. IBrown macrumors newbie

Warranty?

OK - quick but important question: Would upgrading the memory trash your AppleCare warranty?

I'll be running Parallel's when our MacBookPro finally arrives so 4GB would help.

Secondly, how easy is it to upgrade the memory in these things?

11. dcv macrumors G3

No the RAM is classified as a user-serviceable part. It's only if you break something in the process of installing it that you may affect your warranty.

If it's anything like the old PowerBooks it's a very quick and easy job... once you've done the difficult task of removing some very tight and tiny screws!

12. nicklad thread starter macrumors 6502

From the horse's mouth:

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=303491

Changing your memory does not void your warranty - it is user servicable - but you would probably want to hold on to the original sticks should you have to send your machine back.

13. iW00t macrumors 68040

iW00t

You sound like someone who has never gotten a bad stick of memory before.

It is the most pain in the arse experience. Memtest will not even help. Who is to say that the bit that is fault lies right on the bit that memtest happens to reside on?

14. nicklad thread starter macrumors 6502

If the memory fails completely, I'll send it back as it won't be working to spec.

The statistical chance of an error being somewhere that memtest can't see and that is intermittent enough such that memtest does not in itself malfunction is, in my opinion, negligible.

I think memtest is exhaustive, testing all physical memory, in any case.

For me, saving £80 when weighed against the potential hastle of returning the memory if faulty is definitely worth it.

I get a sense that there is a lot of FUD surrounding memory upgrades for Mac's!

15. Fishd macrumors newbie

Crucial.com, great to see a place where customer loyalty is rewarded.... 4GB kit (2GBx2), 200-pin SODIMM, DDR2 PC2-5300 memory module (Crucial part no. CT687602) - £105.69 inc. VAT but excl. Delivery :p

Every single stick of RAM I've purchased in the last ten years has come from Crucial... in those ten years I've had one problem stick and it was replaced promptly. In fact, I've got stacks of old PC100/133 ram lying around as the mobo's have died but the RAM is still going strong!

16. nicklad thread starter macrumors 6502

Eh? What are you on about???

http://www.crucial.com/uk/store/mpartspecs.aspx?mtbpoid=FF1F93F9A5CA7304

£270.24 inc. VAT

17. Fishd macrumors newbie

18. moabon.rob macrumors member

I see:

£151.99 ex. VAT
    £178.59 inc. VAT*

:confused: (I've not looked at crucial.com/uk before on this mac [new SR] and I've never used them/don't have an account with them)...

Strange that the price difference would be so huge!

19. Rankrotten macrumors 6502

Rankrotten

How do you fancy doing a group buy for some of the UK guys on here. Make it worth your while :)

20. nicklad thread starter macrumors 6502

I get that as well now...

They have dropped their prices by £100!

21. iW00t macrumors 68040

iW00t

Perhaps, but it has happened to me before and I could not even tell which of the two sticks are bad no matter what I did. End result? I just sold the pair on eBay and bought another brand, problem solved.

Negligible in your opinion perhaps. But in my experience it is a so annoying it is not even worth the 10-12 hours of memtests I have to run, swopping memory sticks along the way, just to come up blank.

22. nicklad thread starter macrumors 6502

Memory arrived today, very well packaged and it's genuine Kingston.

Uses Micron chips - identical to those found on a stick of Crucial. :)

23. hasaza macrumors newbie

So...does the stuff from shopmagenta - Kingston memory work ok?

24. deanj macrumors newbie

Was gonna go the quidco route myself. Just wondered how you got to use both the quidco referral link and the other one? I'd have thought you could only use one or the other.

Dean