UK Child Registry Concerns

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by nbs2, Aug 26, 2007.

1. nbs2 macrumors 68030

nbs2

So there is this article in the Times about a Child Registry in the UK that is being developed in response to some girl that was killed (I think it's the one from the Spain thing, but I'm too lazy to look it up).

The article presents an interesting concern - isn't the government acknowledging the danger and weakness of the system by instituting additional protections for some kids? Are we really saying that the child of a "celebrity" is more important than a "regular" kid?

For the UKers, is there an opt-out provision for parents? I'm fine with some data collection, but this seems to be way too much.

2. SMM macrumors 65816

SMM

I cannot believe the people of the UK are going along with this. Didn't you read 1984? This has zero chance of being a significant tool in prevent minor predating. This is just another way to further strip individuals of their personal privacy. In this case, the most basic one of all - anonymity. If this was implemented here, I would not allow my children to be cataloged.

Once again, we see FEAR being used as a way to justify insane government programs/policies. Wake up people. Whatever fear you feel now, will be nothing compared to what you feel on the day when you wake up to the realization, you have lost it all; no freedom, no rights, no justice, no one cares. :mad:

3. ham_man macrumors 68020

ham_man

This seems to me that it will be neither effective or useful, and will only create problems where none existed before. This is political showboating by people who have no real idea what they're doing. If I was a parent, there would be no way in hell that I would sign my kids up.