(UK) Crucial Ram price drop! Just got 4GB for under £70!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by rmwebs, Jan 14, 2008.

1. rmwebs macrumors 68040

Just a note to MacBook (and possibly MacBook Pro) users.

Just before Xmas the 4GB RAM upgrade from crucial would have cost you around £110. I just (yesterday) checked and its now only £64!!! For 4GB!

I dont know if its a special or permanent but its a damn awesome deal. Ordered a 4GB kit for my new 2.2Ghz MacBook :D

Looks like I'll be speeding along now! :p

2. skyrider007 macrumors 65816

skyrider007

Play.com sells 2GB sticks for about 25 quids each.

3. rmwebs thread starter macrumors 68040

They aren't the same as the crucial ones though. The crucial ones offer dual channel support ;)

4. joefinan macrumors 6502a

So tomorrow, when I order my brand new MBP, should I specify the lowest RAM option and then buy Crucial memory (for example) to upgrade?

Am I right in thinking computers have two spaces for RAM? If so, and I order a computer with 512MB, can I take it out and put in two purchased 2GB RAMs giving me 4GB total?

Thanks in advance.

5. Brianstorm91 macrumors 65816

Brianstorm91

I was going to get 4GB from Play UK, is there something I missed?
    Is the Crucial RAM better?

6. joefinan macrumors 6502a

...and what does this mean?

7. skyrider007 macrumors 65816

skyrider007

I'm wondering about this too.

8. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

Um...all DDR2 667MHz memory support 'Dual Channel support'. Dual Channel support isn't down to the memory sticks themselves but rather the memory controller and overall system architecture. Crucial is still too expensive. The Play.com deal is selling Kingston RAM...a very reputable brand and also offers lifetime warranty

Crucial RAM isn't some sort of heavenly RAM, its just reputable and somewhat more popular

EDIT: Proof memory sticks dont have anything to do with Dual Channel support but rather the mother board itself

"Dual-channel architecture is a technology embraced by motherboard manufacturers and does not apply to memory modules. In other words, any matched pair of memory modules may support single- and dual-channel operation, provided the motherboard supports this architecture."

Taken from wiki link provided by OP

9. rmwebs thread starter macrumors 68040

Firstly, Crucial are a very well known brand. One of the best.

The Dual-Channel support is basically to provide better performance. Its probably not a HUGE difference, but I know which I would rather choose over the sake of about £15

This can probably explain better than me: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dual-channel_architecture

and joefinan - its a known fact that apple overcharges quite a bit for RAM. Your best getting the cheapest RAM option and then upgrading. MacBookPro ram for the latest ones can be found here:

15" 2.2Ghz: http://crucial.com/uk/store/listparts.aspx?model=MacBook Pro 2.2GHz Intel Core 2 Duo (15.4-inch)

Pretty much the same prices.

10. rmwebs thread starter macrumors 68040

Um...I never said it was heavenly. From experience though Kingston has not been as reliable for myself. Had modules pack up and some not work from purchasing. Never had a problem with Crucial.

Besides that, I was informing people that there had been a price drop, dont like it then buzz off :rolleyes:

11. pjrobertson macrumors 6502a

Lucky you, I paid £110 for my 4GB of RAM about 2 months ago :(

12. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

No need for attitude and i never said you called Crucial RAM heavenly. I was just trying to communicate that Crucial isn't the only good vendor around and that Dual Channel support is memory module independent. If Kingston hasn't worked for you in the past then thats absolutely fine at the end of the day its about what works for you

As for others looking to buy a 4GB kit, there is a better value for money with the Play.com deal and it offers lifetime warranty so its a no brainer

13. Qwickshot macrumors newbie

Also all these ram chips are manufactured in the same factory by the same people, and just have the relevent stickers and packaging put on after.

14. rmwebs thread starter macrumors 68040

Lifetime warranty on the Crucial too...still waiting to find out what the point of you attacking me for posting a helpful thread was though.

15. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

*Sigh* i wasn't attacking you....nevermind.

16. anotherarunan macrumors 6502

I think what the other guy was saying is that why pay £70 for 4gb when you can get it for just under £60 at play.com

http://www.play.com/PC/PCs/4-/34970...or-Apple-iMac-MacBook/Product.html?P36=6WHHE4

and people have reported it working fine, and two of these modules will give you the dual channel support. (i think) But of course, some people prefer to pay extra for peace of mind with brand name (like we all did with apple) so let them do that

may i also add that ive ordered a 2gb stick from play.com...and am still waiting for it to be shipped (since thursday) so i guess in some ways you do get what you pay for! :D

17. gazfocus macrumors 68000

gazfocus

I personally would choose Crucial RAM over Kingston any day... The Kingston RAM is classed as "VALUE RAM"

18. djellison macrumors 68020

The bonus of buying crucial ram, from crucial - is that if it doesn't work for any reason, they'll refund you without question. You say 'I've got a Macbook, 1.83 Ghz, what ram?' and it gives you the right option, guarenteed.

That's why, when I order my new MBP at the start of Feb - I'll be getting my ram from Crucial.

Doug

19. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

The one Play is selling isn't the KVR models, its KTA so i don't think in this case it can be classed as Value RAM...although i'm not sure

20. shoppy macrumors 6502a

Out of interest I ordered 4 sticks from play last week with a few other bits and bobs, everything else has turned up except the ram. Keeps saying order placed, that is it. Rang them up, and no joy I am getting bored waiting and am going to order from crucial as with next day special delivery it comes to £68.71 £11.73 more expensive, funny that I checked this morning and it was approx £98.
    :)

Thanks to the original poster.

21. shoppy macrumors 6502a

Cancel my last, play have started to process my order and they are now closed, so unable to cancel.

22. taylorwilsdon macrumors 68000

taylorwilsdon

Don't buy crucial unless its the absolute cheapest. Their ram is no better then anyone elses (to an extent). I can get 4gb ram for £30 here in the USA from bigger brands (kingston, etc) - thats probably a better option (to buy from the USA and import)

Crucial is not the only brand with Dual channel, nor is it some "special feature"

Thats a motherboard feature (built into every ddr2 compatible chipset)

ALL ram is made by the same 3 or 4 manufacturers. The different brands buy the exact same sticks (to an extent, again, some are binned better then others) and re-sell them under different names. I believe crucial is a micron brand, which makes good RAM, but many other manufacturers use those same micron dimms.

So much misinformation here...

23. johny5 macrumors 6502a

johny5