UK: DNA database for everyone?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Blue Velvet, May 27, 2007.

1. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Yeah, yeah... nothing to fear if you've got nothing to hide, yadda yadda... but still, this worries me greatly. All this stuff; cameras everywhere, biometric passports and ID cards and now this... it's getting a bit scary.

Purely in the national interest of course...

http://observer.guardian.co.uk/politics/story/0,,2089168,00.html

2. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

Its insane, and whenever you complain they assume you're a criminal, as they would be the only ones to object :mad:

3. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

So now our laws are going to be made not for the benefit of the people, but for the benefit of a database? F**k that for a game of conkers.

4. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

I believe this to be such a major decision that there should be a referendum and the result I am sure would be a resounding no.

5. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

Unfortunately, if there is a referendum, I'll (probably) be too young...I hate how they don't let me vote (I don't want to sound arrogant, but I consider myself quite informed), and let the chavs down the road, who happen to be two years older :(

6. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

Well it would be better for the chavs to vote against because then it is less likely they will get caught :D.

7. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

Maybe it's just me, but I find the idea of cataloguing the DNA of babies on the off chance they might commit a crime 20 years in the future absolutely appalling.

As a non-science guy, might I ask exactly how accurate DNA testing and matching is? Naturally there's going to be a margin of error with these things, but to what degree?

8. Lau Guest

Agreed with the general unease and disapproval.

I think that's one of the problems, it isn't entirely accurate, yet if DNA evidence matches, it's seen as a reliable way to convict someone. Now that's one thing if someone was spotted at the crime scene and their DNA matched, but quite another to have dropped litter 5 years previously, and for your databased DNA to match a murder scene, and for it to be up to you to prove that you weren't there. And I effing detest the dropping of litter. ;)

9. srf4real macrumors 68030

srf4real

I hate to be the religious nut who says, "told you so," but this is exacly what the goal of the anti-christ spirit will be in the last days, according to a very old prophesy in a historically documented book called The Revelations of John the Baptist.
    I quote, "no one will be able to buy, sell, or trade, without the number of the beast or the mark of his name."
    It's a great way to catch a criminal, but once big brother has our biologically individual identity and a data-base, we're a microchip away from the mark. This will happen eventually, and all unbelievers will accept it. And why not, it's a great idea, aside from the privacy issues. Like BlueVelvet said, "nothing to fear if you've got nothing to hide." On the other hand, I will be persecuted greatly, hunted down and killed, because I refused to take the mark.

Please ignore this slightly off-topic response if it offends, just thought you might want to hear every point of view.:p

10. Blue Velvet thread starter Moderator emeritus

I was being facetious. This is the standard line given by those who crave the firm smack of authoritianism.

11. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

I misread that: thought you were referring to the Jaffas having dropped a litter... :)

12. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Authority junkies?

13. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

Slippery slope,how long until insurance companies get access to genetic abnormalities and your refused insurance because you may at some time be at risk for a particular disease.Plus it'll just encourage the religious nuts.:rolleyes:

14. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

Agree with you on the litter.

There are a number of different testing methods available each with their own accuracy. The accuracy is pretty high, like 99+% but there is still errors. Also with the current tactic of swabbing every person of a specific type e.g white male, within a set distance of the crime scene can easily lead to errors with handling and cross contamination. There are also concerns that certain "markers" are more prevalent in ethnic groups which in turn can lead to a miscarriage of justice.

The current belief in the general public is that it is 100% fool proof. The presence of a single hair can cause a jury to convict a person, but hair + travels very easily on clothing + air. So it again can lead to further problems.

There needs to be a public enquiry showing the methods and accuracy, with all of the possible errors highlighted. DNA evidence is a great tool for enquiry but it seems as if it is too heavily relied upon to get the conviction not a tool as it should be.

15. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

Luckily, we're not living in a society where we have to get little Jaffa microchipped in the national interest. Yet.

16. srf4real macrumors 68030

srf4real

I neglected to tie in the relevance of my post, the book also says, "Let him with wisdom understand; it is a human number." Take DNA, after the scientific technology is sufficiently flawless, tie it to an id number... who could steal with nowhere to sell? When all funds are controlled by the beast, no offshore accounts, black market trades, credit fraud, not to mention violent crimes could not occur without immediate consequence, when your number is being scanned everywhere you go.

17. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

Thanks for the information. I never thought for a moment that the system would be 100% accurate, even before issues such as human error or cross contamination are considered. As you say, the problem is that people believe these things to be infallible when clearly they're not.

18. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Yes, there's absolutely no way this could ever be abused. :rolleyes:

What are they thinking? Haven't they read 1984? Or V for Vendetta? We empathize here, because that seems to be the way the US is headed as well.