Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

netdog

macrumors 603
Original poster
Feb 6, 2006
London
I have a sealed 16GB 3G in Black that a friend was supposed to take but changed her mind and wants another model.

Any idea what kind of BIN price I'd ask? I can always just return it to Apple of course if there isn't a big spike in the market.

Last edited:

AdamA9

macrumors 65816
Feb 2, 2010
Why not use the BIN or best offer option? Then you can set a price you WANT for the device, but also gives you the option to accept a lower price if you're happy with it.

Comment

netdog

macrumors 603
Original poster
Feb 6, 2006
London
I did, but with all the American ones that are also on offer in the UK, it's hard to tell.

Comment

thedon1

macrumors 6502
Jun 26, 2010
I'm in the same boat. I have a second ipad that i got for someone just incase they couldn't get it themselves.

I am thinking of seling it on ebay but ebay will take £40 from the final price. Keep that in mind!

Any other less expensive ways to shift an ipad?

Comment

KandyKane

macrumors 6502
Mar 23, 2009
Australia
Waste of time, I had an extra one too, but decided to return it in the end. Hopefully someone who really wanted one and has been waiting got it and not a scalper!

Don't forget eBay take $ for your listing fee, PayPal take a % of your final price, after all that, you've only made like $50 in profit.

Consider that you paid $800 for it, the return on investment is 6%, but the risks through eBay and PayPal are high, it takes a week for the money to be transferred into your account after you request it... and if you paid with a credit card you could get slugged with the interest by that time. That's if it goes well and the buyer doesn't dispute something, and your money gets stuck for months until its resolved. Or worst case you could lose both the iPad and the money. For $50.

High risk, low return.

(sorry not sure of the UK pricing, but thats about our pricing in AUD)

Comment

paulro

macrumors regular
Oct 15, 2008
It really annoys me with the number of people on ebay that are deliberately trying to make anything upto £300 profit on ipad 2's, simply due to them being in demand currently.

The thing is, if there weren't so many people buying two at a time at launch with the intention of selling one for massive profit, there wouldn't be such a problem with stock now.

Give it a month and all the fuss will have died down.

Comment

netdog

macrumors 603
Original poster
Feb 6, 2006
London
I did think that by allowing people to only purchase two, and by handing out tickets on launch day, Apple is trying to curb speculators.

So we're clear, I didn't buy this to profit from it, but I don't feel badly about asking for half the profit margin you cited given that there is a demand at the moment. I think the price I quoted in marketplace is reasonable. And for anybody who doesn't want to pay extra, sure, wait until the supply channel if full again.

Comment

thedon1

macrumors 6502
Jun 26, 2010
We live in a capatalist society, people shouldn't be penalised for being opportunistic. If you can forsee demand being higher than supply, I say go for it and try to make a profit. As long as your not breaking any rules, you should be allowed to do what you want with what you buy.

It's up to Apple to stop scalpers. Do I wish they did a better job? Of course, but it's a tough situation they're in.

Comment

netdog

macrumors 603
Original poster
Feb 6, 2006
London
We live in a capatalist society, people shouldn't be penalised for being opportunistic.

Yeah, but I found the whole iPhone 4 scam revolting. These were being sold for the UK market, but people in the UK couldn't get an iPhone because these jokers were lining up every morning to scoop them up and ship them out of the country.

And yeah, Apple should have done more about it. I know they tried.

Comment

thedon1

macrumors 6502
Jun 26, 2010
Yeah, but I found the whole iPhone 4 scam revolting. These were being sold for the UK market, but people in the UK couldn't get an iPhone because these jokers were lining up every morning to scoop them up and ship them out of the country.

And yeah, Apple should have done more about it. I know they tried.

Yeah, it's unfortunate when it get's out of control but I think maybe Apple should enforce some sort of system where they force you to make an account(maybe apple id) and then your in store purchases are linked to that account. You bring in ID to prove your details are correct and then they can limit your purchases within a time period.

Ofcourse it wouldn't be easy and would mean slower processing but it would help this problem.

Comment

paulro

macrumors regular
Oct 15, 2008
We live in a capatalist society, people shouldn't be penalised for being opportunistic. If you can forsee demand being higher than supply, I say go for it and try to make a profit. As long as your not breaking any rules, you should be allowed to do what you want with what you buy.QUOTE]

Legally you're right. Morally, you're wrong in my opinion. That's a big problem with today's society though. Most people are in it for themselves.

I just watched an ebay listing where the seller admitted in the description that they bought a second ipad specifically to sell on ebay. This white 16gb had a starting price of £449 and a buy it now of £520. Nobody bid on it, but if they had bid £449 at the last minute, the guy would have ended up paying £45 in final value fees. Hardly worth it for the effort for a £5 profit, I'd say.

I just saw a 64gb 3G on there with the seller wanting the bids to start at £1000. What the crap are people thinking ? You'd have to be sectioned if you payed that.

Last edited:
Comment

thedon1

macrumors 6502
Jun 26, 2010
We live in a capatalist society, people shouldn't be penalised for being opportunistic. If you can forsee demand being higher than supply, I say go for it and try to make a profit. As long as your not breaking any rules, you should be allowed to do what you want with what you buy.QUOTE]

Legally you're right. Morally, you're wrong in my opinion. That's a big problem with today's society though. Most people are in it for themselves.

I just watched an ebay listing where the seller admitted in the description that they bought a second ipad specifically to sell on ebay. This white 16gb had a starting price of £449 and a buy it now of £520. Nobody bidded on it, but if they had bidded £449 at the last minute, the guy would have ended up paying £45 in final value fees. Hardly worth it for the effort for a £5 profit, I'd say.

I just saw a 64gb 3G on there with the seller wanting the bids to start at £1000. What the crap are people thinking ? You'd have to be sectioned if you payed that.

Why do you say it's Morally wrong? I'm not saying I disagree, I'm interested in your reasoning.

Buying something cheap and selling it as an intermediary for profit is at the basic level what retailers do to us, but people don't accuse Argos or Debenhams of being immoral.

Comment

paulro

macrumors regular
Oct 15, 2008
Why do you say it's Morally wrong? I'm not saying I disagree, I'm interested in your reasoning.

Buying something cheap and selling it as an intermediary for profit is at the basic level what retailers do to us, but people don't accuse Argos or Debenhams of being immoral.

The difference between retailers and members of the public in this example, is that retailers make their profit, by buying massive quanities of stock in bulk at a lower price than Apple's recommended retail price.

The retailer then sells the item at the same price the Manufacturer would. That's basic retailing theory, and nothing too immoral.

If a member of the public buys the same item from a retailer at RRP, with the intention of selling it on at an exploitatively higher price, that's immoral in my opinion. It's unreasonable personal gain versus the needs of others as I see it.

Obviously lots of people disagree with me, as there are hundreds doing this sort of thing on ebay.

Comment

FeaRThiS

macrumors 6502
Mar 25, 2011
The difference between retailers and members of the public in this example, is that retailers make their profit, by buying massive quanities of stock in bulk at a lower price than Apple's recommended retail price.

The retailer then sells the item at the same price the Manufacturer would. That's basic retailing theory, and nothing too immoral.

If a member of the public buys the same item from a retailer at RRP, with the intention of selling it on at an exploitatively higher price, that's immoral in my opinion. It's unreasonable personal gain versus the needs of others as I see it.

Obviously lots of people disagree with me, as there are hundreds doing this sort of thing on ebay.

I agree that it is different to how retailers work as that is business model of buying in bulk, but if some idiot on ebay wants to pay £1000+ for a product that is worth only £400 who am I to stand in their way. It's not like the ipad 2 is limited edition and they will only ever make X amount of them. If you cant be bothered to go searching to find one now from a retail store then you can wait or pay the finders fee to someone on ebay.

People pay other people to do all sorts of things. Personal shoppers, cleaners, gardeners etc so why can someone should someone who is putting the time and effort to go and que/search high and low not be paid for it.

No one is forcing anyone to buy things listed on ebay.

And I only bought 1 iPad 2 which has backlight bleeding which I am now sending back, before I get flamed for being a scalper LOL.

Comment

paulro

macrumors regular
Oct 15, 2008
I agree that it is different to how retailers work as that is business model of buying in bulk, but if some idiot on ebay wants to pay £1000+ for a product that is worth only £400 who am I to stand in their way. It's not like the ipad 2 is limited edition and they will only ever make X amount of them. If you cant be bothered to go searching to find one now from a retail store then you can wait or pay the finders fee to someone on ebay.

People pay other people to do all sorts of things. Personal shoppers, cleaners, gardeners etc so why can someone should someone who is putting the time and effort to go and que/search high and low not be paid for it.

No one is forcing anyone to buy things listed on ebay.

And I only bought 1 iPad 2 which has backlight bleeding which I am now sending back, before I get flamed for being a scalper LOL.

Unlucky with the backlight bleeding. Apple's quality control isn't what it used to be.

You're missing the point with the other stuff you've said. The ebay 'scalpers' are not 'personal shoppers' that are doing something good for the poor folk that can't be bothered to hunt down ipad 2's. They are effectively strangling the immediately available ipad 2 stock in order to line their own pockets. Like I said - Immoral.

Comment

FeaRThiS

macrumors 6502
Mar 25, 2011
Unlucky with the backlight bleeding. Apple's quality control isn't what it used to be.

You're missing the point with the other stuff you've said. The ebay 'scalpers' are not 'personal shoppers' that are doing something good for the poor folk that can't be bothered to hunt down ipad 2's. They are effectively strangling the immediately available ipad 2 stock in order to line their own pockets. Like I said - Immoral.

If people really want to get back at scalpers they need to stop being so impatient wait for stock at retail stores and leave the scalpers with 100's of units which they cant even get retail prices for. I do understand what you are saying but if people spend as much time and effort as the scalpers do they would also be able to get at least 1 ipad. I ordered on apples website on friday then ordered one from tesco caneled the apple one wasnt very difficult and didnt take very long. If it was a big issue I wouldnt have been able to get one from anywhere but a scalper.

Comment

paulro

macrumors regular
Oct 15, 2008
If people really want to get back at scalpers they need to stop being so impatient wait for stock at retail stores and leave the scalpers with 100's of units which they cant even get retail prices for. I do understand what you are saying but if people spend as much time and effort as the scalpers do they would also be able to get at least 1 ipad. I ordered on apples website on friday then ordered one from tesco caneled the apple one wasnt very difficult and didnt take very long. If it was a big issue I wouldnt have been able to get one from anywhere but a scalper.

I agree. It just annoys me that ebay is full of people selling ipad 2's for miles over the RRP. It annoys me more that there are quite a few people willing to indulge the scalper's greed rather than being patient.

Comment

FeaRThiS

macrumors 6502
Mar 25, 2011
I agree. It just annoys me that ebay is full of people selling ipad 2's for miles over the RRP. It annoys me more that there are quite a few people willing to indulge the scalper's greed rather than being patient.

I agree its not really the scalpers who bother me its more the people who buy from the scalpers, they make sure that every time an ios device is released the scalpers are first in line.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.