UK eBay iPad 2 prices - Auction a 3G 16GB or return to Apple?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by netdog, Mar 31, 2011.

1. netdog, Mar 31, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2011

netdog macrumors 603

netdog

I have a sealed 16GB 3G in Black that a friend was supposed to take but changed her mind and wants another model.

Any idea what kind of BIN price I'd ask? I can always just return it to Apple of course if there isn't a big spike in the market.

2. AdamA9 macrumors 6502a

Why not use the BIN or best offer option? Then you can set a price you WANT for the device, but also gives you the option to accept a lower price if you're happy with it.

3. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

Just do an eBay search for completed listings to see what they go for.

4. netdog thread starter macrumors 603

netdog

I did, but with all the American ones that are also on offer in the UK, it's hard to tell.

5. Aravintht macrumors 6502a

Dont forget to include the listing fee, final value fee and paypal fees in your calculation...

6. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

You'll have to take it to the marketplace if you want to sell it on here.

7. netdog thread starter macrumors 603

netdog

8. thedon1 macrumors 6502

I'm in the same boat. I have a second ipad that i got for someone just incase they couldn't get it themselves.

I am thinking of seling it on ebay but ebay will take £40 from the final price. Keep that in mind!

Any other less expensive ways to shift an ipad?

9. wallstreetcrash macrumors regular

Filter by posted from UK.

10. KandyKane macrumors 6502

Waste of time, I had an extra one too, but decided to return it in the end. Hopefully someone who really wanted one and has been waiting got it and not a scalper!

Don't forget eBay take $ for your listing fee, PayPal take a % of your final price, after all that, you've only made like $50 in profit.

Consider that you paid $800 for it, the return on investment is 6%, but the risks through eBay and PayPal are high, it takes a week for the money to be transferred into your account after you request it... and if you paid with a credit card you could get slugged with the interest by that time. That's if it goes well and the buyer doesn't dispute something, and your money gets stuck for months until its resolved. Or worst case you could lose both the iPad and the money. For $50.

High risk, low return.

(sorry not sure of the UK pricing, but thats about our pricing in AUD)

11. paulro macrumors member

It really annoys me with the number of people on ebay that are deliberately trying to make anything upto £300 profit on ipad 2's, simply due to them being in demand currently.

The thing is, if there weren't so many people buying two at a time at launch with the intention of selling one for massive profit, there wouldn't be such a problem with stock now.

Give it a month and all the fuss will have died down.

12. netdog thread starter macrumors 603

netdog

I did think that by allowing people to only purchase two, and by handing out tickets on launch day, Apple is trying to curb speculators.

So we're clear, I didn't buy this to profit from it, but I don't feel badly about asking for half the profit margin you cited given that there is a demand at the moment. I think the price I quoted in marketplace is reasonable. And for anybody who doesn't want to pay extra, sure, wait until the supply channel if full again.

13. thedon1 macrumors 6502

We live in a capatalist society, people shouldn't be penalised for being opportunistic. If you can forsee demand being higher than supply, I say go for it and try to make a profit. As long as your not breaking any rules, you should be allowed to do what you want with what you buy.

It's up to Apple to stop scalpers. Do I wish they did a better job? Of course, but it's a tough situation they're in.

14. netdog thread starter macrumors 603

netdog

Yeah, but I found the whole iPhone 4 scam revolting. These were being sold for the UK market, but people in the UK couldn't get an iPhone because these jokers were lining up every morning to scoop them up and ship them out of the country.

And yeah, Apple should have done more about it. I know they tried.

15. thedon1 macrumors 6502

Yeah, it's unfortunate when it get's out of control but I think maybe Apple should enforce some sort of system where they force you to make an account(maybe apple id) and then your in store purchases are linked to that account. You bring in ID to prove your details are correct and then they can limit your purchases within a time period.

Ofcourse it wouldn't be easy and would mean slower processing but it would help this problem.

16. paulro, Mar 31, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2011

paulro macrumors member

17. thedon1 macrumors 6502

18. paulro macrumors member

19. netdog thread starter macrumors 603

netdog

I've decided to sell it locally (London) and, barring that, to return it to Apple today.

If you want it, see the Marketplace ad.

20. FeaRThiS macrumors 6502

21. paulro macrumors member

22. FeaRThiS macrumors 6502

23. paulro macrumors member

24. FeaRThiS macrumors 6502