UK expels 23 Russian diplomats, Russian state assets to be frozen as well. More sanctions being anno

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by ericgtr12, Mar 14, 2018.

1. ericgtr12 macrumors 65816

ericgtr12

The BBC

2. arkitect macrumors 603

arkitect

This is going to end well…

Half of London is Russian Oil Mafia owned.
    And the rest split between the Saudis and the Duke of Westminster…

3. ericgtr12 thread starter macrumors 65816

ericgtr12

At least they have the balls to stand up against Russia. You get the feeling Trump will gladly go over there and stump for Putin on the campaign trail.

4. arkitect macrumors 603

arkitect

Oh I agree. I think it is the first time since she became PM I have any respect for Teresa May.
    But I think the UK alone will find it heavy going against Russia. Especially on the outside of the EU and chained hand and foot to Trump's Administration…

5. DearthnVader macrumors 6502a

DearthnVader

Well, when Russia expels UK "diplomats" and lays sanction on UK persons and corporations in Russia we can continue the race to the bottom.

6. jeremy h macrumors 6502

We'll probably end up having 23 diplomats expelled from our US embassy. :D

7. Tinmania macrumors 68040

Tinmania

No, we'll end up with 23 "new" diplomats at the Russian Embassy in the US.

Mike

8. 0007776 Suspended

Or Trump will just make them all citizens and appoint them to the US embassy in London.

9. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

Does this mean I'll get a tax break?
    --- Post Merged, Mar 14, 2018 ---
    Better than having the citizens of a country exposed to nerve agents that were used rather indiscriminately in this case. Remember that a police officer was hospitalised because of it. If the reports are true, this was a cholinesterase inhibitor. I wouldn't wish that on my worst enemy. I loathe May, much like I do Trump, but she had to act. I am not sure May went far enough, but maybe this was a botched operation and the Russians won't be too invested in retaliating knowing they screwed things up so badly.

10. DearthnVader macrumors 6502a

DearthnVader

If it was the Russian leadership, they are getting bolder, tho I have to object to the general use of " the Russians", may have been, and likely was, some Russians, but they don't represent all or even most Russians.

I think it matters, we should be more precise and not lump in the many, for the actions of the few.

Putin is a dangerous leader, akin to Hitler in the 1930's, lets not push the Russian people into allowing him to become Hitler in the late 1930's and early 1940's, by the careless use of words.

While we don't want to appease Russian leadership, let's not make the same mistakes we made with Germany after WWI, laying economic sanctions and scapegoating common Russian people.

Let's resist and defy Putin, but at least try to win the Russian people over to our way of thinking.

11. mac_in_tosh macrumors 6502

mac_in_tosh

And once again Trump adds to the suspicion that he is beholding to Russia for some reason - he is withholding criticism until "we see what the facts are." Amazing how this impulsive, ignorant person, who will launch an attack on someone based on what he hears on Fox News, is so careful to avoid any criticism of Russia or Putin.

12. iLunar macrumors 6502

iLunar

So why hasn't Trump followed through on sanctions passed by the majority of Congress? Why isn't he fulfilling his constitutional duty?

Trump seems more interested in being Putin's friend than holding him accountable. He has yet to say anything but praise for someone you're comparing to Hitler.

13. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

I agree with most of what you said. No doubt only a few Russians in the government are responsible for this chemical attack, and I agree that we should not wantonly antagonise or victimise the Russian people. However, aside from military action, how can the UK send a message of resolve that does not avoid sanctions? That's the problem. Clearly diplomacy has not worked, for it was tried after Litvinenko yet the Russian government clearly thinks it can do whatever it wants wherever it wants (regrettably something I think they learned from the US).

14. Solomani macrumors 68040

Solomani

I'd go with the simplest strategy. The White House sends an envelope stamped with the Seal of the President of the USA and addressed to Vlad Putin. Putin opens envelope…. it contains a fine white powder. Baking soda. A small piece of paper has a small note scribbled: "Don't mess with us. Yours truly, Hillary."

15. The-Real-Deal82 macrumors 604

The-Real-Deal82

Russia are threatening a swift response in kind.... Anybody else here think one of the sanctions might be banning England from the World Cup this summer? It’s not a serious response but one that would be felt at all levels here.

16. shinji macrumors 65816

shinji

Not really, I think Russia wants the World Cup to be a success. Sort of an odd sanction anyway.

17. weckart macrumors 601

A fish rots from the head. Russians don't really care about the UK. We are perceived as weak.

Russia isn't FIFA. Yet. All Russia could do is refuse visas, which might get FIFA all hot and bothered because FIFA gets a lot more money from the UK than it does from Russia.

18. jerwin macrumors 68020

how many countries would withdraw in solidarity?

19. CaptMurdock Suspended

CaptMurdock

You sound like one of them apologists for Islam terr'ism! :p

20. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

If you guys could actually play football then banning England might be an issue but since you can't it wouldn't be any great loss :p

21. Zenithal macrumors G3

Might be in the interests of the UK to overtake all real estate owned by Russian citizens who haven't become naturalized British.

22. Gutwrench Contributor

Gutwrench

All she’s done is expel some diplomats. Assets are not frozen. I doubt Putin could care less.

23. jerwin macrumors 68020

From Hansard

So far, The amendment hasn't been tabled, if I understand parliament's website correctly.

24. Populism macrumors regular

Populism

25. Gutwrench Contributor

Gutwrench

Okay I read it. She expelled 23. No assets are frozen. Putin likely has thousands of intelligence operatives.

Now kindly state your point.