UK: Free Fairtrade Coffee at Starbucks (27 February only)

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by BoyBach, Feb 27, 2008.

1. BoyBach macrumors 68040

BoyBach

If you live near a Starbucks and fancy a coffee, today you can get one cup for free after 2pm.

- Starbucks Link (T&C)

Typically, I live nowhere near a branch! :rolleyes:

2. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Shame they're only doing it because the company is slowly going down the toilet and so need some good publicity.

But still, a free coffee is a free coffee :D

...although, there will likely be queues out the door.

3. a456 macrumors 6502a

a456

There was a report in the Guardian today that claimed only about 4% of the coffee served in Starbucks is actually Fairtrade, and that brands like Starbucks are overemphasizing their Fairtrade contribution through overly prominent use of the Fairtrade logo. Interesting reading.

4. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

But not surprising in the slightest.

5. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

Starbucks sucks. They are the McDonald's of coffee - they are everywhere and the quality sucks BUT they have the cheek to charge a premium for their rubbish.

They can keep their sneaky publicity stunt free cups of crap coffee.

6. a456 macrumors 6502a

a456

I find the majority of coffee chains to be too noisy and too busy for the purposes of relaxing and so tend to go for the local choices. I'm not a grab and go type of guy.

7. Queso macrumors G4

Did somebody switch to decaff? :D

8. Markleshark macrumors 603

Markleshark

I don't drink Coffee, and we don't have a Starbucks. Meh.

9. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

I just totally barked out laughing! :D

No, but I did switch to tea. ;)

10. Markleshark macrumors 603

Markleshark

How very... British. :D

I'm a tea man myself... In fact...

11. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Yep, I'm the President of a few clubs at uni, and one deals with some fair trade issues.

What Starbucks said was, and I'm paraphrasing, that they are "now serving fair trade coffee". That doesn't mean their coffee is fair trade. In some places, I know that if you want fair trade coffee, you need to ask them specifically to use the fair trade beans. Otherwise, you're getting the regular stuff.

In other cases, you can only get the Fair Trade coffee if you buy coffee beans from Starbucks, and only if you ask specifically for their Fair Trade coffee beans. There isn't exactly a lot of variety, and yet that still entitles them to put a big "Fair Trade Coffee Sold Here" sign on their window. Even if you can only buy it in bean form (which they don't see a lot of), they still advertise themselves as being friendly to farmers.

12. Queso macrumors G4

Well I just had my free cup of coffee.

Not the best, but I still drank it just because it was free :)

13. Daveman Deluxe macrumors 68000

Daveman Deluxe

Starbucks doesn't suck. Starbucks is average. Run of the mill. I've only rarely had any TERRIBLE coffee at Starbucks, but being a coffee snob, I refuse to have an espresso there--only milk-based espresso drinks. Starbucks does not make bad coffee by any stretch of the imagination, but most smaller places will be able to do better than Starbucks because they usually don't use the super-automatic machines. Starbucks is consistently mediocre, but that's all that it needs to be. I go to Starbucks when I'm in the mood for my double short nonfat white mocha, and I go elsewhere when I'm in the mood for my espresso or macchiato.

14. QuantumLo0p macrumors 6502a

QuantumLo0p

I know a fairly large roaster who said the fairtrade concept was wish washy at best. Too bad.

I still like my coffee.

15. BoyBach thread starter macrumors 68040

BoyBach

I know what the last three words mean (in the coffee sense!), but what the hell is a 'double short'? :confused:

16. Mr_Brightside_@ macrumors 68020

Mr_Brightside_@

I completely agree with this... but as it stands, given that I avoid Bucks like the plague, on the rare occasions I actually get a latte there, it's very mediocre compared to smaller places. Though their Americano is decent, in terms of strength at least.

17. Daveman Deluxe macrumors 68000

Daveman Deluxe

Double: two shots of espresso
    Short: eight ounces

18. BoyBach thread starter macrumors 68040

BoyBach

Thanks!

I keep it simple (I'd get confused otherwise :eek: ) and just ask for a mocha - although I really did push the boat out in Bangkok just before Christmas when I had a Toffee Nut Latte! ( :cool: to :eek: <-Me in a tuk-tuk spilling hot coffee all over my lap!)

19. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Not according to the taste test done in the UK.

Of course, several explanations can be drawn from that test:

1) Starbucks ranks as the lowest of the big brands in the UK because the standards in Europe are high, and ranks as average in the US because coffee is worse.

2) Starbucks coffee is average in Europe and the USA, but Starbucks had a bad day on that particular test.

I really don't know. All I know is that I don't like their expresso-based drinks, like their cappuccino.

20. a456 macrumors 6502a

a456

To tell the truth I get embarrassed when Apple pairs with Starbucks or Pepsi, even Nike, because the track record of these companies isn't great in terms of product or ethics. Does anyone else think the same way?

21. Queso macrumors G4

You should look at Apple with a more critical eye. For instance, over the past couple of years they've been criticised for using sweatshop labour manufacturers, being environmentally unfriendly, gagging free speech, and using unfair business practices in the supply chain.

No company is whiter than white in today's world.

22. BoyBach thread starter macrumors 68040

BoyBach

With the exception of Daz! ;)

Attached Files:

• daz.jpg
      daz.jpg
      File size:
      48.1 KB
      Views:
  23. Shotglass macrumors 65816

Shotglass

Starbucks is cool, I love how they design their stores. But Balzac is just as good, if not better. Just less well-known.