UK government can demand backdoors and if you reveal their existence you can be sent to prison

bandrews

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2008
Probably a warrant from a secret court would suffice.

Or they could just leak the embarrassing information.
Who would leak it and why would a "secret court" want a warrant to search my internet history to see if I've been looking at perfectly legal pron?

Eraserhead

macrumors G4
Nov 3, 2005
UK
Who would leak it and why would a "secret court" want a warrant to search my internet history to see if I've been looking at perfectly legal pron?
To blackmail you into not organising a protest for example. Or to not whistleblow on abuses in big business or government.

Eraserhead

macrumors G4
Nov 3, 2005
UK
This can, and is regularly used as character evidence
Besides even if the information isn't used maliciously by the government eventually it will leak if people have access to it and then criminals can blackmail you with it.

Just imagine if ISIS blackmailed British citizens into handing over money to them over their sexual fetishes.

Last edited:
Reactions: satcomer

sim667

macrumors 65816
Dec 7, 2010
Besides even if the information isn't used maliciously by the government eventually it will leak if people have access to it and then criminals can blackmail you with it.

Just imagine if ISIS blackmailed British citizens into handing over money to them over their sexual fetishes.
We've already seen how poor ISP's are at protecting information with the talk talk fiasco

if they were being forced to keep data on everyone, then imagine how much worse that would have been.

Reactions: Eraserhead

Eraserhead

macrumors G4
Nov 3, 2005
UK
We've already seen how poor ISP's are at protecting information with the talk talk fiasco

if they were being forced to keep data on everyone, then imagine how much worse that would have been.
You can't really secure data that vast numbers of people have access to anyway. At best it's going to be like the Snowden situation with US intelligence.

Reactions: sim667 and satcomer