UK Government planning on legalizing Gay Marriage

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by swiftaw, Sep 17, 2011.

1. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

What?? "a" perhaps, but not "the", for sure. :)

2. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Well I'll be damned - I thought gay marriage already was legal in the UK.

3. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

4. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

It is in all but name.

5. iStudentUK macrumors 65816

iStudentUK

We have had civil partnerships for a few years now, they afford the same rights and protections as marriage. I thought they were a cop-out at the time and it finally looks like the government is going to start calling it marriage.

Hopefully, they will take the opportunity to update the marriage laws. They haven't really changed for ages. I'm getting married next year and it has to be in a licenced venue, inside a permanent building, during daylight hours, I have to give public notice a few weeks before etc. It's crazy!

Annoyingly, many of those restrictions don't apply to civil partnership ceremonies. So hopefully when gay people wget marriage and they will amend marrige laws to make them less restrictive!

6. molala macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Opera/9.80 (iPhone; Opera Mini/6.1.15738/25.858; U; en) Presto/2.5.25 Version/10.54)

I know in France both gay & straight couples could marry or have a civil partnership. UK should follow this too! Quickly. It's good to have both options.

7. MacHamster68, Sep 18, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2011

MacHamster68 macrumors 68040

MacHamster68

You have not been to Brighton yet ,
    also reffered to as the gay capital of the UK .
    Nowhere else in the UK you find more gay people per square mile then in Brighton and there it seems not only legal, it seems to be the norm to be gay
    they even have a gay equivalent of the Rio Carnival there

but yes there is a difference between a civil partnership and marriage , the later is illegal and ever will stay illegal in a Catholic Church, despite that the Vatican and Pope even protect their paedophile priests

8. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

I was in Brighton, before it was Gay to do so I guess? About 20 some years ago. ;)

And England could learn from Canada, and take that last big step.

9. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

Brighton was an established centre for gays in the twenties and thirties,I don't think even you are that old.In fact there's quite a bit of evidence of it being a centre for gay life from at least the Napoleonic wars.

10. FreeState macrumors 68000

FreeState

Sorry but that's wrong, gays can not legally marry in France. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Same-sex_marriage_in_France

11. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

12. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

Inside a permanent building? You can't even get married outdoors in the U.K.??? Or inside after dark?

13. iStudentUK macrumors 65816

iStudentUK

Our marriage laws haven't been properly updates since the 19th century! I think it's 8am-6pm unless you have special permission, which is hard to get. It has to be at a licenced venue, which means it has to be open to the public and a permanent structure. Closest you will get to outside is something like a wooden gazebo/bandstand. But no beaches or gardens! What's more I am required by law to allow anyone in to the ceremony room (until it's full- fire regs), not that anyone uninvited would want to watch my wedding. It's crazy!

Few of these silly laws apply to civil partnerships, so when they make it gay marriage I hope the current marriage laws are overhauled!

14. MacHamster68, Sep 19, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2011

MacHamster68

its not just crazy ,its ridiculous

btw to the gays in the UK , it might be legal to be gay , but that law here still exists since a couple hundred years

"It is illegal for two adult men to have sex in the same house as a third person."

ok it hasn't been enforced in recent years , but the law still exists anyway like many other ridiculous laws that should have been abolished centuries ago ,ok some never got enforced like :
    "An MP should be an honest citizen"

I want to die in the house of parliament , ok i know thats illegal by law , as technically i would then be entitled to a state funeral and the law is in place to ensure this does not happen. :(

15. Peterkro, Sep 19, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2011

Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

16. MacHamster68 macrumors 68040

MacHamster68

i edited it :)

its fun to read though those old laws that just got forgotten , but only if you are not affected by them

like you need to find a toilet if you want to relief yourself ,but if you are a women and pregnant you can even use a police officers helmet by law to relief yourself

17. iStudentUK macrumors 65816

iStudentUK

We stray into constitutional law here, but it may be of interest. We in the UK have a concept called parliamentary sovereignty, parliament is legally supreme and can make or unmake any law without restriction as to subject matter, location (it's often said we could ban smoking on the streets if Paris) or time (retrospectivity). With that we have the doctrine of implied repeal, so if a modern law conflicts with an old one the old one is impliedly repealed, because this new parliament is supreme. That old law on homosexuality is contrary to modern Human Rights and equality laws, so it is unenforceable as it is no longer good law. Nobody could use it even if they wanted to.

(Apologies to any English lawyers for that simplification!)

18. MacHamster68 macrumors 68040

MacHamster68

allright i understood so in they just make new laws and the old ones can stay where they are no need to abolish them as such

but can i still get my state funeral if i break the law and pass away in the house of parliament :confused:

never mind , but where is the problem in letting gay couples marry if they want to , there is no logic behind a law forbidding gay couples to marry , equal rights for everyone i thought or are again some more equal then others ?

19. iStudentUK macrumors 65816

iStudentUK

Not sure in that one. One way to find out though! :D

There is no logic behind banning it! Unfortunately the people who don't like it (various religions, homophobes, far right groups like the BNP etc) aren't always that logical!

At least they have come out and said the want it in by 2015 now, puts a clear timetable in place.

20. MacHamster68 macrumors 68040

MacHamster68

I bet if there would be 10 million gay couples in the UK who want to get married even the BNP would say we change the law tomorrow only to secure their votes .
    Like most politicians they tell the people what the people want to hear before a election and after the election they all get amnesia

21. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Yep, we just have to sweep these remnants of the Spanish Inquisition under the carpet, and we're good to go.

22. MacHamster68, Sep 20, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2011

MacHamster68

Gay's and lesbians have to thank history, influenced by the catholic church
    ok it began with the Greeks they had been really open minden in that respect
    but then came the romans at first they did the same, homosexuality was more or less normal at the beginning but then ...
    Plutarch refers to "the intercourse of man with man" as "immorality or assault", adding: "we regard men who take pleasure in passive submission as practicing the lowest kind of vice"
    Saint Thomas of Aquin , he was not the first with his views , but the most influential in the catholic church and he still is to present day as everytime some in the catholic church or other churches who share the same view's want to become a bit more open mindend someone finds his books and throws them on the table and the discussion ends immediately with the outcome :
    "gay and lesbian sexual activity is immoral and against nature and a deadly sin "

ok i am not affected by it but my view's on the subject of homosexuality are simple , among primates especially the bonobo's (or called pygme chimpanse )they practice homosexuality too and technically humans are primates too and here the prove of that theory
    [​IMG]
    , so it cant be against nature and whats morally right or wrong we decide for ourself
    and i dont believe , at least not in a God who's whole purpose it seems to be to punish mankind ,so it cant be a sin

23. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

I never understood this. How is getting penetrated considered "passive and submissive"? Just because a woman gets penetrated, doesn't mean she's passive and submissive. Is it a double standard for men?

24. MacHamster68, Sep 20, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2011

MacHamster68

nothing to do with the thread , but Plutarch also said some wise things

For to err in opinion, though it be not the part of wise men, is at least human.

An imbalance between rich and poor is the oldest and most fatal ailment of all republics.

We ought not to treat living creatures like shoes or household belongings, which when worn with use we throw away

I don't need a friend who changes when I change and who nods when I nod; my shadow does that much better.

The real destroyer of the liberties of the people is he who spreads among them bounties, donations and benefits.

but that might be actually related to the thread in a positive way :

To make no mistakes is not in the power of man; but from their errors and mistakes the wise and good learn wisdom for the future.