UK govt. to monitor social networking sites?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by BoyBach, Mar 25, 2009.

1. BoyBach macrumors 68040

BoyBach

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/now-big-brother-targets-facebook-1653407.html

Welcome to the new Stasi state of the UK!

If the government aren't interested in the content of the communications, why monitor them?

2. és: macrumors 6502a

és:

I'm sure there will be enough uproar over this to stop it. The government is filled with idiots, it really is.

3. MotleyPete macrumors regular

Question from Airstrip One

Who are we at war with now, is it Eurasia or Eastasia?

Maybe the Ministry of Truth will make an announcement on this sometime soon.

4. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

That's strange, I thought I left the US. :confused:

I can't even say I am surprised. Twunts.

5. BoyBach thread starter macrumors 68040

BoyBach

Careful, or you'll be visiting Room 101.

6. és: macrumors 6502a

és:

No worries. I quite like Paul Merton.

7. remmy macrumors 6502a

Ssshh Herr Flick may be listening

8. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

I don't quite understand what they are doing. Are they requesting these companies to keep the data so if they get a search warrant they can look at it?

9. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

Not Herr Flick we're worried about… more like Frau Schmidt.

10. barkmonster macrumors 68020

barkmonster

Ok, so it's set.

We kidnap the PM and subject him to 24 hour nickelback and basshunter till he agrees to abolish VAT, legalise cannabis, criminalise Jamster and stop all forms of cheap reality TV and "Talent Shows" from ever being broadcast.

I hope no one is watching us.

;)

11. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

The s*** they're constantly coming out with all in the name of "protecting" us makes me sick.

12. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

With the current paranoia you shouldn't make jokes like that… before you know it you'll be monitored.
    ;)

13. és: macrumors 6502a

és:

Come on, this is going to save our lives from the terrorist threat. You know, the threat from those that want to take away our freedoms. We must never let the terrorist take our freedom. Taking away freedoms are bad. I hate those terrorist freedom take awayers.

The threat from terrorism is so great that I support us all being locked in cages and fed water through a tube.

It'll save the terrorists a job, at least.

14. barkmonster macrumors 68020

barkmonster

That's what they want you to think so people who are a genuine threat think twice about whatever barbaric act of terrorism they're plotting while enjoying all the benefits and security of our country.

I think people who are a genuine threat don't think at all because after thousands of years of bloodshed changing nothing, they still believe death and terrorism is the only way of forcing their will on others.

They also believe there's an invisible man in the sky and the only way to please him is to restrict their lifestyle to the point of having an almost medieval value system while hating anyone who doesn't think like them.

There were protests in the UK by a large group of muslim's when troops came home, it was in all the papers several weeks ago and the police actually protected their campaign of hate behind barriers and charged people for attacking them when they should have had the tear gas and battons out to the banner waving hate mongers instead.

I'd make the UK an atheist state if I was prime minister and it would be either a prison sentence of extradition for anyone using faith to fuel violence and hatred towards other "Human Beings".

15. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

Taking away freedom for the sake of freedom. I <3 irony. I sometimes wonder if the big bad gov see it for what it is or if they are really that deluded. :rolleyes: I'll say it again: TWUNTS!

16. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

This is already a law.

17. neiltc13 macrumors 68040

neiltc13

Bad thread and article title. It's just a minister talking - for this to be law it would have to be passed in Parliament and there is a long way to go yet.

18. és: macrumors 6502a

és:

Yeah, I'm not a fan of the article title, I must admit.

19. barkmonster macrumors 68020

barkmonster

I was under that impression too but it needs to be enforced for it to work!

20. chrmjenkins macrumors 603

chrmjenkins

If that plan works out, I think you'll have a job offer from the US too ;)