UK - Gurkhas to be given equal right of residence

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by JG271, Apr 29, 2009.

1. JG271 macrumors 6502a

JG271

Link

A good day for democracy in my opinion. I'm very glad that parties could come together on this issue, even a few labour backbenchers managed to think with their consciences instead of their careers!

2. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

This has been a very long time coming.
    Very happy to see this. :)

3. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

4. remmy macrumors 6502a

Very happy to see this, hope they get what they have been campaigning for. Our government is such an embarrassment.

5. Kardashian macrumors 68020

Kardashian

I'm probably gonna get this ripped out of me but.. who are the Gurkhas and what purpose does this serve?

Are they people recruited by our army, from Nepal, who were sent back home after they'd served their purpose?

I've just skimmed Google.

6. mcnicks macrumors regular

This was not a vote on a piece of legislation; it was a vote on an opposition motion, so the Gurkhas are no better off. However, the carried motion should embarrass the government into redrafting its policy.

7. Kardashian macrumors 68020

Kardashian

Thank you :)

That was a lot better than the Wiki article I pulled up.

A good move, for sure.

How the country lets in some of the riff raff it does, but not these people who have honourably served us I don't know.

8. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Very nicely done, UK MPs. :) The Gurkhas and their bravery are very well respected in India as well.

9. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

I didn't know either. Just like I didn't know what a chav was for the longest time.

10. Kardashian macrumors 68020

Kardashian

Oh :) that makes me feel better. If an opinionated gentleman like yourself can get lost in certain matters, so can I.

Although, since I'm British, maybe I was expected to know. I can't help but know what a chav is, unfortunately. But I think they're a dying breed.

11. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

If I ever get over there, you guys will have to point one out to me. Don't they keep them in zoos now? :)

12. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

Trust me, one will point themselves out to you, thats the whole point :p

Its actually embarassing the way the Government handled this, im not sure how many people saw the previous guidelines but they said a Gurkha could live in the UK after 20 years service, but the maximum any Gurkha is allowed to serve is 15 years (18 to 33) so it was just stupid. I think we should deport Gordon Brown to make room for these new citizens. On his salary we could pay for around 100 to live here, and i'd honestly consider that a better trade off.

13. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Good to see. I can't quite believe we were going to be refusing many of them the right to stay here.

They fought for us for crying out loud. Let them be. They're far more deserving of some state benefits than most.

14. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

With any luck. ;)

</tongue firmly in cheek>

On topicly - Very good news about the Gurkhas.

15. Kardashian macrumors 68020

Kardashian

It's not until you've been heckled at by a yellow fingered, greasy haired, gold studded chav, smelling of last nights 'bird' with his hands down his Adidas trackies that you really feel British! ;)

16. barkmonster macrumors 68020

barkmonster

Good news for the Gurkhas. I've never understood the idea why someone who's put their life on the line for the country isn't allowed to live here.

Maybe with a bit of joint international pressure, once Guantanamo Bay closes, we can have all the Chavs shipped over there while we campaign to have them officially classified as Neanderthals, have their human rights completely revoked based on that ruling and then fire up the "Equilibrium" inspired furnaces to aid in their retirement.

It can only lead to a higher average global intelligence quota. World peace would follow eventually too :p

17. BoyBach macrumors 68040

BoyBach

I think today's Times put it perfectly:

18. jarjarblinks macrumors 6502

jarjarblinks

I served shoulder to shoulder with these legendary fighting warriors before.

It's, amazing. They all possess this deep well of reserve inside them that makes them surmount almost all, if not all, obstacles in their way. Besides this ability of legendary physical endurance, what impresses me most about them is the sense of chivalry and stoic tolerance. Nothing fazes them. When the odds are down, they just pick themselves up and carry on. Their reason for living seems to be, just being glad that they are still around now, and no matter what is thrown at them, it IS A BONUS STILL to even be around in this world.

Their respect for fellow military men and civilians alike is gratifying. There is alot we can learn from them, humility wise. There are definitely a special breed of people.